Fitbit vs HRM vs Pedometer Watch

Options
My girlfriend is looking to get a device to track her steps. She was thinking of getting a watch with a pedometer.

1. Do HRMs (like Polar FT4) track steps all day or are they really only used for getting your heart rate/calories burned during exercise?

2. Are there any good women's watches that act as a pedometer?

3. Should I just suggest getting a Fitbit?

Replies

• stargazer424
    Options
    Bump...Wow this forum is busy. My post got buried on the 6th page without any responses...
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    bump (in the market for something myself...)
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen, in general, HRM do not measure steps.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    fitbit for day to day stuff hrm for work outs, also polars ft60
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just got the watch you are talking about and I am working through understanding it. So far I use it for heart rate and to be in my target range. I compared with my pedometer during my walk and they are close with distance and calories. I think it will work out for me in the end.
  • smadrigal04
    Options
    Depending on the type of watch, will it look "utilitarian'? I wear a watch to work, so I wouldn't want to change that.

As far as HRM's, I only use mine while I'm at the gym. I don't know if I'd want to wear the chest strap all day long either.

I have a Fit Bit and I love it...I actually wear it on my bra and never think about it. It's the best thing I've gotten for my fitness so far.

Hope that helps!
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My fitbit went back the day after I got it. It was too intelligent it worked out how many calories I burned while I was asleep so when I woke up I already had an extra 500 odd cals to consume. It just wasn't for me. I'm now in the market for a decent HRM. my parents however aware by the walk with me pedometers that u use with the DS. They are quite simple but accurate.
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Had a fitbit. 2 different ones actually and they both quit working. Getting a pedometer from walmart with a usb so i can download and compare. The Polar might be two much info if wanted just for steps
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. It only tracks your HR so you have an accurate amount of calories you burned during your workout.
    I know that MFP is very generous with calories burned for exercises.

I had the Fitbit and hated it. I wanted something that was accurate since MFP is not. SO the best thing was just a HRM for my workouts.

If you are looking for a pedometer that is on your watch check out Amazon.com There are tons of reviews on different brands

Good luck.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I was considering a fitbit, but also want a HRM. I found this at bestbuy, the Adidas MiCoach http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Adidas+-+miCoach+Pacer+Bundle/3648095.p?id=1218424165914&skuId=3648095&st=micoach&cp=1&lp=2 it has a pacer, hrm, and stride sensor..also the Motorola Actv http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MOTOACTV+-+GPS+Fitness+Tracker+and+16GB+Smart+Music+Player/4018033.p?id=1218450051405&skuId=4018033 is sweat proof, can be paired with a HRM and has a gps to track your route.

I am looking for something simmilar, my two top picks that I would want for myself. They are just too pricey right now. For now I use the RunKeeper app, because it can be used with my cell phone or iPod. The only thing i hate about it is the calories are not correct, and the gps is not accurate, but it has a feature where you can map your route. RunKeeper can be paired with the Fitbit and a HRM.

Or of course you can get the Nike +iPod if she has an iPod and Nike shoes, I've heard good things about it.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    I have them all. First the pedometer (clip on) got me moving/walking more which is a good thing but after a while, I wanted more. So I got a Polar FT4 HRM which just tracks calories burned during workout and heart rate. I love it and it motivated me to burn more and workout harder than I use to. I just got the FitBit because I have a sedentary job and I wanted to know more about the total calories burned all day. And I must say, I love it. I still will use my HRM for workouts but the FitBit is great for motivating me to move more ALL day and it does track steps, floors climbed, etc as well. I do know people that use FitBit only and they seem to do well. But I plan to use both the HRM and FitBit for a long time.
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have a fitbit and HRM for workouts. I love the fitbit and for cardio workouts it has been pretty close to my actual HRM so I am pretty happy with what the fitbit calculates for me. I also love that it automagically updates MFP which just makes my life that much easier.
  • DeborahStanley
    DeborahStanley Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F7 which is great for the gym & for tracking time & calories burned walking to & from the gym. I would love something as accurate as my polar that didn't require a chest strap. Very tempted by a fitbit but ........ Still not convinced
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Had a fitbit. 2 different ones actually and they both quit working. Getting a pedometer from walmart with a usb so i can download and compare. The Polar might be two much info if wanted just for steps

Might fitbit broke too!
  • smadrigal04
    Options
    I've had my FitBit since December, and have never had a problem with mine!
  • LighteningLynn
    LighteningLynn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit since October 2011. I LOOOOVVVVVEEEE it!!!! Any type of exercise gagits are all just estimated....that is something you need to keep in mind. They are not perfectly exact. (If they were that perfect, they would be way to expensive for the average person). They are avaialbe to make you AWARE of what your "estimated" activity level is at. I have purchased an HRM but took it back when I realized I would have to wear a strap around my chest. I have enough around my chest without adding more bulk. I like my fitbit because it is small and it does so much and I feel lost if I forget to take it off the charger. It has become a part of my daily wardrobe. I like how MFP and fitbit link together and gives calculations to each other. I enter all my food info on MFP and if I do any kind of exercise tapes, I just add that exercise. It really isn't a big deal.
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have a Fit Bit and I love it...I actually wear it on my bra and never think about it. It's the best thing I've gotten for my fitness so far.

I have a fitbit and also wear in my bra, just put it in in the morning and leave until eve. Tracking my sleep with it is also useful as I was amazed how little I do actually sleep so it has made me change some bedtime habits to make sure I have enough sleep to have the energy to have a busy day the next day. It is really important to read all the FAQs on the fitbit website when you get it as it explain how it works etc which is a lot simplier than first appears. It also sends you weekly reports to your email address and indicates the date you will reach your ideal goal if you continue on current course.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have personally done a bunch of research and there isn't a good product that would give me the the best of both worlds.

What I have decided to do is to finally use the HRM we have or get Polar HRM of my own and utilize an app on my phone (which I'm never without) to track time, distance, speed and incline. I've been using "Tracks" but am looking at using "RunStar" or "RunKeeper". Both come either in free or paid versions.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Had a Fibit..............sent it back could not get it to sync with anything and the company never even answered my e-mail I sent, so it went back to the store where it was purchase, they were very nice about it.

Have a Polar FT4 HRM and love it........simply to use and is very accurate for your Heart Rate and calories burned.........

I own two (2) Orman pedomiters and also love them as well................it give you steps, aerobice steps, calories burned and miles you walked......one is HJ112 the other one I can't remember the model #, but it is small and sleek and they come a safety strap so if it falls from your pants it will hang from the strap and you won't lose it...............Orman is the way to go if you are looking for a good and accurate pedomiter.....they also keep count for 7 days and the clock automatically changes over night. Price range I believe are around 30.00 - 35.00 each............if you have a Walgreens in your area they carry them.
  • smadrigal04
    Options

I have a fitbit and also wear in my bra, just put it in in the morning and leave until eve. Tracking my sleep with it is also useful as I was amazed how little I do actually sleep so it has made me change some bedtime habits to make sure I have enough sleep to have the energy to have a busy day the next day. It is really important to read all the FAQs on the fitbit website when you get it as it explain how it works etc which is a lot simplier than first appears. It also sends you weekly reports to your email address and indicates the date you will reach your ideal goal if you continue on current course.

I love mine too! And it has also helped me with my sleep...amazing little thing!