new to fitnesspal!

Options
Hello everyone! I am beginning a new lifestyle change and thought this would be a great tool. I have recently quit smoking and am looking to exercise approximately five days a week and eat healthier. I am a former fast food junkie switched to vegetarian (the cheese pizza & Dr. Pepper type) who couldn't put down the soda & fries! I am considered to be in a healthy BMI now but would like to lose those last additional lbs. More than losing weight, I am looking for a lifestyle change - I am also a former smoker (40 days not smoking!) and have not drank a DP in two weeks (that stuff is like legal crack cocaine!). I would like to eradicate fast food and soda from my diet and eat fried foods, high sugar foods, fast food & restaurant food every once in a while. I have been cooking more at home and feeling better than ever. I have, in the past three weeks, been working out 5x a week (mainly walking 30 min a day). I am off to a great start and don't want it to end! I could use the motivation during this lifestyle change. A big motivation has been Leo from zenhabits.net (if you're familiar with it).
For years, I have been addicted to fast food, Redbull/energy drinks, Dr. Pepper, going out to eat, smoking and all in all crappy food. I want to walk away from it all and make a dedication towards healthy eating/healthy living once and for all!

Replies

• Cajun_momma
    Options
    add me if you like, :) congrads on the changes and the quitting smoking!! former smoker myself, but its worth it:happy:
  • rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks guys! I could use all the encouragement I can get!
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • HBL2012
    HBL2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hey im new also, feel free to add me :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :) Leo is someone I read now and again... he's influenced me a little as well. Glad to see another Zen Habits reader on here.

Note: His ideas on habit forming, change, & to some extent, minimalism... not so much food-wise.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!! I'm vegetarian and I understand the soda thing...last year I gave it up, it was tough and i think that's why my coffee consumption went up. :) Welcome and good luck!! :)
  • rlwinton
    Options
    I like to apply what I read on zenhabits to everything, including diet and exercise. I believe that good health and food shouldn't cost a **** ton of money, that cooking nutritious foods at home beats anything at a restaurant (even the best ones) and that I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for a gym membership that I won't use past a month - I think Leo would concur ;). Honestly though, he has influenced me the most when it comes to debt (almost gone) and materialism (letting go of that "gotta have").
    So much has changed recently! I have paid off my credit card debt, started a savings account, quit smoking, started exercising and eating better and cooked more at home. I hope to progress more and more!
    Anyway, I continue to track my food on here and exercise 5x/wk, but I haven't bumped it up - I'm beginning very slowly.
  • rlwinton
    Options
    Oh, and I should say that I am currently eating meat (I realize my post is misleading because I was typing so fast). I was vegetarian for 2.5 years, 3 month vegan period; there was about a 3 month period that I was eating healthy but otherwise, the 2.5 year of vegetarianism just proved fruitless when it came to health - I just ate crap food. I am not opposed to going back to meat-free, if I do, I want to do it healthy and right!
  • ANDREA0108
    Options
    hi! support is a big thing on here. Add me if you like
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I like to apply what I read on zenhabits to everything, including diet and exercise. I believe that good health and food shouldn't cost a **** ton of money, that cooking nutritious foods at home beats anything at a restaurant (even the best ones) and that I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for a gym membership that I won't use past a month - I think Leo would concur ;). Honestly though, he has influenced me the most when it comes to debt (almost gone) and materialism (letting go of that "gotta have").
    So much has changed recently! I have paid off my credit card debt, started a savings account, quit smoking, started exercising and eating better and cooked more at home. I hope to progress more and more!
    Anyway, I continue to track my food on here and exercise 5x/wk, but I haven't bumped it up - I'm beginning very slowly.

Great job! I also work out at home, I'm all about DIY and self-sufficiency. I'm doing the same with debt, and ditto on materialism to some extent :P Though, "materialism" and "minimalism" is relative to each person, I'd say. Leo changed a lot in a relatively short amount of time, very motivating.
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, if you'd like!
  • rlwinton
    Options
    The materialism bit is so hard to *let go*, I always find myself wanting that pair of jeans, or that brand of makeup, etc etc. So glad to have like minded people!! You're an inspiration Jennie!
  • hodgechic
    hodgechic Posts: 15
    Options
    great welcome to the club beleiveme you will love yourself and save yourself from headaches and knee problems
    a good star is the costco green with envy juice to help you dtox
    good luck and get off the crack dp
  • hodgechic
    hodgechic Posts: 15
    Options
    you will be so happy whenn you stop comsuming and beleive me
    when you want to dosomething special you cna
    all the stuff as you get older is so unimportant ...and u can never keep up