Day 1 and struggling already :(

Options
Oh why is this soooooo hard? I was so excited to start the new way of life today, but I am soooo hungary. I have not done real good as far as choices today. I keep telling myself to pull myself together and that I can do it!!!! I just need to lose 35 lbs and then keep it off!!!!

Replies

• Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's how I used to be. For me, my body wasn't used to a what I call "normal" eating. I was stuffing my face constantly so my body was used to that much calories going in. When I changed, it was very hard but I just kept at it, every day became easier and easier. Something that also helps me is to chew gum (sugar free for me) and to drink water when I feel the urge to eat. Sometimes your body is just telling you that you're dehydrated, but your brain thinks your hungry. Hopefully this helps! Good luck!
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What did you set your weight loss to? 2 lb/week? Try scaling it back to the recommended 1 lb/week, or even .5 lb/week. It will make it easier.

Also, drink your water. And eat some more protein, which tends to make most people feel fuller.
  • momo2011Tuck
    momo2011Tuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of trying to lose to many lbs in one week. Defiantly make sure your calorie intake is high enough. You will be less hungry during the day, and you will lose weight much easier. I couldn't believe I had to eat MORE to lose. Lol
  • hodgechic
    hodgechic Posts: 15
    Options
    it takes at least a week tog et going and get some protien
    then you may need 21 days
    i find i picked a slogan such as i choose etc
    i choose to eat green today
    you will get less hungry ..and get the water going
  • RHxxl
    RHxxl Posts: 1
    Options
    Try to find a Bouari Clinic (Non-HCG) Their program produces amazing results. It's safe & simple. Most people including me report no cravings or hunger if you simply forget what you think you know about dieting & DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU. I dropped 44 lbs. in 5 weeks & feel great. You don't count calories, but I use Fitness pal to record what I eat because it's easy to reference. Everything they told me initially has been correct. It is almost unbelievable how effective their program is.
  • auntkimmie19
    Options
    You can do it! MFP is awesome and there is so much support! Feel free to add me and I will support you as much as you need. A good rule of thumb is if you feel hungry, drink a glass of cold water (your body burns more calories if it is cold) then wait 30 minutes. If you still feel hungry then you are truly hungry, if not, you were just dehydrated and needed water. I chew sugar free gum and that helps to keep me from snacking when I am at work or board at home. I have more than 30 pounds to lose but feel free to add me for any support!:happy:
  • Tlr0721
    Tlr0721 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, I set it for 2 lb er week. I will back it down. Thanks!
  • NetteH13
    NetteH13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The first week (especially 1st day), is always the HARDEST!! When you go to put something in your mouth that is not healthy, think about your goal and how GREAT you're gonna look when you lose the weight! (not that you don't look great already :smile: ) Plus, when you know you're suppose to eat healthy, and you eat those bad things, the guilt you feel later is so not worth it, lol!! Hope I was able to motivate you.
  • hodgechic
    hodgechic Posts: 15
    Options
    wait till you start to say i choose i choose so that you dont have health problems at aGE 50
    I CHOOSE VEGGIES
    I CHOOSE WATER
    EVERY DAY SAY I CHOOSE
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The sensations of thirst is often misinterpreted as hunger. Try drinking more water if you are not drinking plenty already,

If your body is used to consuming 2500 cals per day and you drop that to 1200, that isn't going to feel pleasant. Maybe choose a deficit of 500 calories per day by diet and increase that to 1000 calories per day with exercise.
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Good idea to change your goal down so you are not starving. You can do this. You are a strong powerful woman. Did you forget that? :) Good luck, we are rooting for you!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    When I started, I reduced my calories gradually. No point in trying to change everything in one day.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    First week or two tough. I dropped my caloric intake by probably 1000+ a day and so yes I was hungry all the time. Got through it with grapes and nuts and other things that were more healthy than the endless open bag of chips. After some point my calorie demand came down even though I had ramped up the activity of all sorts, walking mostly. Joined the gym after about a month of "dieting".
    In short, the weight fell off. 35 pounds to be exact over a 6 month period. It took me 30 years to gain and only 6 months to lose so I figure that is a pretty good result as I am now at BMI 25. As everyone else says, drink water. But sometimes that's not enough, so eat some nuts, carrots and grapes or whatever works for you. You will do it, I am sure.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I feel impatient too, today. I am drinking a lot of water and when I was starving~I ate some protein. It helped a lot. Maybe take a walk? The endorphins and admiring the beauty of the sunset could help you see things from a different perspective. Flavored coffee is great too, with fat free half & half.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Dont beat yourself up. It is hard to change bad habits to good ones. I heard it take 21 days to form a habit. We have to try and eat right and exercise. That is a lot to try and accomplish. It doesn't happen in one day.:happy: Little baby steps is good. Just keep trying. Don't give up. We ALL have bad days.
    You can do it.
    :flowerforyou:
  • suespottsfletcher
    Options
    Exercise and eat those calories.
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey the 1st week is probably the hardest to get your body used to it, but you many try high fiber snacks and foods so that you stay full longer. Also try eatting 5-6 smaller meals. Maybe every 2 hours. You may try chewing gum, and drink plenty of water. But probably the best advice is make sure you have a plan so that if you get hungry you don't just grab and start eatting anything you can get your hands on. Trust me it will be worth it in the end, and remember too slow and steady wins the race, it's not the person that loses the most in one week it's the one that endures til the end!!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Did you set your calories to 1200 a day? With a 2 lb/wk goal?
    This is a healthy lifestyle change! No quick fixes! Make sure your goals are realistic with calories :)
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you, I'm Slovakia!
    Okay, I'm just being a smart aleck.

I would change your weight loss goals to 1 lb per week, or even 1/2 lb per week. Exercising regularly will earn you more calories to eat back as well. Also, choose your meals wisely; including many lower-calorie foods (such as vegetables) allows you to eat a larger volume of food while still meeting your nutritional goals. Other good ideas include drinking more water, eating more fiber, or adjusting your macronutrient ratios to allow for more protein and fat, which may keep you feeling satiated longer. Remember, though, whenever you change your eating habits, the first week or two is the hardest. It's completely normal to struggle, but you can and will succeed!
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Take the first few days just to get used to tracking....Once you realize how many calories are in some of the things you eat, then you will start making adjustments.