How much do you noramlly spend on a 5K?

Options
My husband and I have been thinking about running a 5K. There is going to be a local 5K in June. The cost is $30 dollars before hand $40 the day of plus $10 if you want the T-Shirt. I would want the T-shirt so it would cost me $40 ($80 for both of us to run). That seems like a lot to me, but I don't know what a normal cost for a 5K is. I know that races aren't free and the proceeds are going to a local chartiy, to benefit youth programs (whatever that means). I was just curious what you normally spend on a 5K. How much are you willing to pay and how much is too much?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You got me curious, we have a couple of bigger 5Ks here that run $35 (Ottawa Marathon Weekend) & $30 (Army Run) and both include a shirt, finishers' medals etc. but both of these races have thousands of entrants; I would expect local races have a lot of the same expenses without the economies of scale.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Around here (Delaware) They're between $18-$25 and that includes the t-shirt. The one I'm doing in a couple of weeks is $20 if I pay before race day. $25 on race day. This one just announced that we're getting tech t-shirts. COOL : )
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    About $20 including shirt. $40 seems steep for just a 5k.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been thinking about running a 5K. There is going to be a local 5K in June. The cost is $30 dollars before hand $40 the day of plus $10 if you want the T-Shirt. I would want the T-shirt so it would cost me $40 ($80 for both of us to run). That seems like a lot to me, but I don't know what a normal cost for a 5K is. I know that races aren't free and the proceeds are going to a local chartiy, to benefit youth programs (whatever that means). I was just curious what you normally spend on a 5K. How much are you willing to pay and how much is too much?

$20-$30 including a shirt.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    About $20 including shirt. $40 seems steep for just a 5k.

That's what I was thinking. $40 for JUST a 5k? The race is a 5k/10k. They are charging the same price for both distances. $40 seems a little more reasonable for the 10K, but steep for the 5k.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    the ones in my area run from $30-$60, that's why I haven't signed up for any yet...
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You know it never occurred to me that you'd have to pay to enter a race! I'm going to be doing my local parkrun, which is a 5k held every saturday morning, gratis. Ok there's no medals, but they do do t-shirts for people that have made milestones, like hitting 50 parkruns, 100 parkruns etc. And it's a properaly timed event, with a barcoding system so that you can get accurate times logged for each event and compare how you do over the weeks. It's entirely volunteer-run, and I think it's fabulous!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    All the 5ks I've done have been in the $30-$40 range, so that's normal.

It makes me cringe every time I sign up for a half marathon or 10 miler...I try to register for everything as early as possible to avoid the price going up, because paying $95 to run for 13.1 miles makes me die a little inside. At least I know it's going to a good cause every time :)
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I spent $25 for a 10k.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    $15 - $30 depending on how early you sign up. I haven't run a race yet (probably never will ) where the t-shirt is not part of the price.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Most around here are $10-25, including a shirt or other commemorative item (hats, mugs, etc).
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    About 20 dollars here in Florida; unless you are Mr. Walt Disney, then you charge $50!

But you can get your picture taken with Mickey afterwards.
  • carrie564
    carrie564 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's really expensive, but I noticed that when I lived out by you guys as well (probably because there aren't very many available). That's why I didn't do it any out there- they were all expensive & just banging on concrete & roads (kills my knees).

I usually spend $20-25 for one that comes with a regular cotton t-shirt (it's never an extra cost), or $25-30 for one that comes with a dri-fit style shirt (the thin, fancier work-out shirt, also called technical tees sometimes). ONCE I did $35 when it was a nicer trail run with limited runners, with an excellent amount of food & free samples, and the coolest fitted dri-fit shirts. :)

If you start looking into special events though, like the Warrior Dash (that's a 5k with obstacles) or Down & Dirty (mud run, obstacles), those can cost around $75.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I pay $20-$30. I'd only pay more if I knew it had a really cool shirt. I drive over an hour to many of my 5ks, since there are only a few in my town each year, so I'm already paying for gas and some food.
  • carrie564
    carrie564 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    P.S.- I would look for race schedules up in the mountains on trails, or up in Carson City or Reno. With a bigger population, you might find much cheaper races with better shirts that come with them. It'd be worth the $5-8 in gas. :)

Like here is one in South Lake Tahoe in June: it's a trail run which is way more fun (I'd practice a few times, because it can be harder at first if you're only used to the flat valley, just getting used to angling your feet over rocks and stuff- but it's WAY MORE FUN). $30 WITH a free t-shirt:
    http://www.active.com/running/south-lake-tahoe-ca/tahoe-legends-10k-and-5k-run-2012
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I know in the Portland Oregon area they can run $30-50, and they sell out every time! Next one is the Doggie Dash (May 12th) to Benifit the Oregon Humane Society.

The Portland to Coast is $888.00 and the Hood to Coast is $1320.00, these are Oregons Biggest relay races.

http://www.hoodtocoast.com/
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am looking at a 10K this weekend in Moncton, NB and cost is $20.00. (5K is the same price). Not sure if T-shirt is included as no mention of T-shirt on registration site.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

We are lucky in the UK, there are 5k runs that are called Parkruns, they are organised 5k races that are run at 9am every Saturday at set venues all over the country. They are free, no sponsorship needed, they are measured out with a professional measuring wheel and are timed events. The only requirement being that the runner must register online once and then they get a barcode, this they print off and must take with them to whatever event they go to. If the athlete does not have the barcode when they race, they will not get a time and will come up on the results as "unknown".

I am, however, doing a 5k Race for Life in May, it cost me £15, but I also have to get sponsors, but as it is for a cancer charity, I have no problem with that.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Wow - I was about to answer then realized I've never done a regular 5K, only over-priced Disneyland 5Ks at $50 a pop. But with those you get to run through Disneyland and California Adventure, including through backstage areas and there are characters cheering you on along the course, and a cute, themed, medal for finishing so it's worth it to me.

I've done a 7K, a 10K and a half, and those were around $45ish for the 7K and 10K, with shirts (and a necklace for the 10K). Both race packages also came with re-usable shopping bags. The Half was $75 and came with a tech tee and a nice quality medal for finishing. No bag, but a bunch of coupons for local sports stuff and plenty of freebies at the packet pick-up.

I'm also doing Bay to Breakers, which is a 12K, but it's a super, crazy, popular race and they can charge a little more and get away with it. I opted for the normal tee (you could choose a normal tee or a tech tee for additional costs for each) and I think that one cost around $55 or $60 after everything. There might be a medal for finishing that one, can't remember offhand.

Then the Disneyland Half Marathon in Sept was stupidly expensive at $150. Again, it's Disney though, so it's worth the extra for the park path for the beginning and end of the run. Plus the Half runners get a tech tee and a medal as well.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    NYC marathon at $266, up $75 from last year because the city is starting to charge for the services of the police, etc.