morning runs?

Options
Hi all!
I'm new to this, so i'm still getting use to it all.

I've started morning runs, BEFORE i eat breakfast. However, i read that it's bad to do this, so usually i eat 2 pieces of chocolate, and a small handful of dried fruit, waiting about 20 mins before I go.

just wondering if there was a better way to approach this? I simply do NOT have time to wait an hour for food to digest, especially with school starting again soon!

To all you morning runners/joggers, what do you guys eat and how long do you wait?

Replies

• Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start performing a HIIT in the mornings prior to eating breakfast, I have read that it's okay to do this because it kick starts your metabolism quicker. About to start it tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    do you know why its considered bad to start off the day with a run before breakfast?? i start off my day with 20 minutes of circuit training (jumping jacks, pushups, sit-ups, planks, squats, etc) before breakfast and it wakes me up and makes me feel great!
  • BethTaylor93
    BethTaylor93 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    On the mornings I run, I grab a banana and a glass of water. I save a regular breakfast for after. I run between 3-5 miles and feel great.
  • cerealqueen
    Options
    I eat a small bowl of cereal about 45 mins to an hour before I work out in the mornings! I feel light headed if I don't eat anything!

I have been known to set my alarm early, have something to eat, and go back to sleep for an hour before working out :)
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    When I run in the AM (usually on the weekends) I don't eat anything... I run on an empty stomach! I suppose it all depends on how far you to plan to run.

I'm just starting to increase my weekend runs, and ran 9 miles on Sunday... I did take a Gel/water before I ran, and it worked out well.
  • heriwen
    heriwen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read says it honestly depends on how long of a run you are doing.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/

http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2007/10/should-i-eat-before-a-morning-run.html

a few blogs/articles for you to see what others say.

I go for about a 2-3 mile run in the mornings and do not eat beforehand. I usually have a small snack after my run (about half an hour later)

:)
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    Ilove to run in the morning and I usually eat cereal or a banana. Just something light. I have never had any problems doing so.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I grab a slice of toast. :)

carbs before protein after.

It depends on the person as to whether they can have brekkie before hand or not, but quite simply even if you're using more fat stores you may use less calories.
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When I run in the morning I have a cheese stick and a granola bar then wait 20-30 minutes.. Everyone is different.
  • Katy285
    Katy285 Posts: 18
    Options
    I wake up an about an hour to 30 min early and drink a cup of black coffee (no sugar or creamer), prepare 1/3 plain greek yogurt with half a green apple (sliced) or a whole orange. This is healthy and gives me energy. On the days that Im running late, I just drink the cup of black coffee (i know, the taste is not great, but it works for me).
    Hope you find what works for you!
  • Jaybird68
    Jaybird68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat a small banana or a 100 calorie bagel with a G2 before I go and feel fine as long as I'm not doing speed work. I usually do this between half an hour to an hour before I go. If I am running less than 3 I don't eat anything, I just have some water or G2.
    Good Luck!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    If I'm ride my bike to work, or running part way to work (60-90 minutes), I will eat a small snack, bread with nut butter. I am usually on the road within half hour of eating.

If it is a workout that is less then 30 minutes, just sprints, I will go without eating. my body just can not handle any more than 30 minutes without fuel.
  • Scopedmau5
    Options
    i think its ok, i just drink up a coffee and go running, the only thing is that you maybe feeling hungry during your run
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I run about 6 miles on a empty stomache but that's what works for me.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:00 and no way am I even hungry! I usually down a couple cups of coffee, and then go for my run or strength train. I eat breakfast usually about 30-45 mins. after my workout, when I finally start feeling hungry.
  • Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    I guess it depends what you ate the night before too? If you had a high carb meal the night before you should be ok for a shortish run with nothing to eat beforehand... i usually have a banana and a drink and go... i did 18.5 miles this morning on nothing but 2 pieces of chocolate ( well it is Easter in the UK :wink: .. i ate when i got back, with 3 glasses of water
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yeah it seems that everybody does things differently.
    i was just unsure since i heard that running without breakfast first means that energy will come from msucle rather than fat!
    so i freaked out a little, and plus if i'm empty stomached, i feel really weak, especially since i do about 50 mins to an hour, so i guess I'll continue with a handful of dried fruit :)
    thanks for the imput guys :) xx
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Morning runs don't work out well for me at this time, but I'd rather run empty than full. I do however eat regular meals and make sure that I have 'fuel' so that I can run.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There is no real harm in a moderate amount of fasted training (essentially what you are doing when you run without eating in the morning). In an article on bodyrecomposition.com Lyle McDonald states the the research shows that lipolysis (fat burning) is more effective with some carbohydrates eaten before training to fuel the effort. So if you can take some carb nutrition before hand great. If not, it's not the end of the world and doesn't mean your workout is useless. You'll still get benefit. I used to train fasted. I've begun eating a banana about 30 minutes before my workout and that has shown slight improvement in fat loss over time.
  • TakeMyTai
    TakeMyTai Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I'm new to this, so i'm still getting use to it all.

I've started morning runs, BEFORE i eat breakfast. However, i read that it's bad to do this, so usually i eat 2 pieces of chocolate, and a small handful of dried fruit, waiting about 20 mins before I go.

I have never heard that before, but I'm not disputing that, god only knows I'm not a nutritionist of health expert. I'll have to look into that :D
    To all you morning runners/joggers, what do you guys eat and how long do you wait?

As a side note, I don't eat anything before a run because, being in the military, there is not alot of time to really wait before a run. Also, I am not a fan of seeing what I have eaten after it's been digesting for a half an hour :p I get very nauseous if I eat before a run.