If your family eats "clean"/minimally processed...

Options
what do your kids eat as snacks besides fruit? My kids love fruit but they aren't veggie eaters (other than carrot sticks). I don't mind making/baking things at home, just looking for some ideas :) Thanks!

Replies

• carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Does cheese count? My kids like cheese. Also carrot sticks and cauliflower. They like whole wheat rolls with Nutella, which isn't really clean, but it's not terrible for them either. Give them milk (unless you are non-dairy) because it has calories and fills them up.

Again, not really clean, but my kids also like turkey pepperonis for a snack. They are a little spicy, which gives them lots of flavor and keeps things from being bland.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't have children at home but now that I eat raw (mostly) I have had to come up with some creative ideas. I love almond butter on apples. One of my favs. Or peanut butter.

Also, you can take kale and bake it with some spices and oil in the oven and make kale chips. Yum.

I also love greek yogurt with blueberries or strawberrys or a little honey.

And cheese with fruit is another good one to (I eat raw cheese but that's just me)

I don't know if kids will like those things but I thought I'd pass them on.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thanks! One of them loves cheese - totally had forgotten about that. And I googled Kale chips and they sound DELICIOUS! Gonna try them :)
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I don't have kids but my nephews and godchildren like: cherry tomatoes, grapes, carrot sticks dipped in humous, celery sticks spread with peanut butter and raisins (my America SIL calls them ants on a log), cheese, nuts and dried fruit, yoghurt, avocado, bananas, rice-cakes. None of them eat junk food, ever.
  • bethwindel
    Options
    I changed myself to minimal processed food first so I could figure out what things the kids liked and what they didn't. A gradual change definitely helped!

We do stoneyfield yogurts (vanilla or fruit flavored), homemade granola bars, homemade granola, nuts (almonds, pecans and peanuts are favorites, obviously we don't have any nut allergies in the house), sweet potato chips, annie's bunny cookies (the little bunny shaped ones like teddy grahams), annie's cheddar crackers, cheese sticks. Chocolate chips (ghirardelli milk chocolate) are used for a fun add-in for yogurts and also as a dessert. Also there is a natural cookie company that wal-mart carries, I can't think of the name, but I get their vanilla cookies (similar to vanilla wafters) and their wheat thins.

Pick a new item or two a week and gradually change it up. They actually took to it much better than I thought they would.
  • KitchenCourses
    Options
    Maybe green smoothies? You can do less fruit and more veg.. tell them that it's "super hero juice" ;)
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Our kids snack during the day on fruit and veggies. Try changing the way you present them to see if they will eat more. We place a big tray of cut vegetables on the play table in the morning that they snack on most of the day. Offering them in the car is also a good time as they are bored etc. Try fun shapes etc.
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My kids love my homemade granola bars, dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, blueberries) as well as freeze dried fruit (just about everything!), homemade granola, homemade trail mix - I just did this for a long car trip with sunflower seeds, peanuts, almonds, dried cranberries, dried cherries & m&m's - BIG hit... my kids LOVE fruit of all kinds so we always have at least 4 different kinds available, mini pretzels, Kashi TLC granola bars, greek yogurts, baby carrots, red peppers and raw broccoli are also favs... Edamame... Pistachios... Popcorn...
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas, freshly ground almond butter and strawberry preserves on Ezekiel toast, fruit puree popsicles, homemade fruit leather. You could also try a muffin tin with cut up veggies and fruits. In three of the tins you can put hummus, guacamole and yogurt for dipping. Store in the fridge and they can take it out and nibble anytime they'd like!