anyone else use xylitol out there?

Options
SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
Seems like the miracle replacement for sugar, I can't find any known side effects besides diarrhea if you have a bunch of it. Anyone else hear anything negative (or positive for that matter) about it.

Watch out though if you have a dog, it's deadly in relatively small doses to them, screws up their blood sugar something fierce!

OnFitness magazine turned me on to it (well, my wife actually) a few months back, and seems great!

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    If it is so bad for our pets wouldn't it be messing with us too? May not show anything now but show up later in life!!!! I hate to trust some of that chemical crap!!!
    vhuber
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I like it just cause I heard that it doesn't feed the bacteria on your teeth. And I chew a lot of gum when I want to munch. I'm always chewing gum or eating.

Why Use Xylitol?

►Effective
    Studies using xylitol as either a sugar substitute or a small dietary addition have demonstrated a dramatic reduction in new tooth decay, along with arrest and even some reversal of existing dental caries. Xylitol provides additional protection that enhances all existing prevention methods. This xylitol effect is long-lasting and possibly permanent. Low decay rates persist even years after the trials have been completed.

►Natural
    Xylitol is right here, inside, already. Our bodies produce up to 15 grams of xylitol from other food sources using established energy pathways. Xylitol is not a strange or artificial substance, but a normal part of everyday metabolism.
    Xylitol is widely distributed throughout nature in small amounts. Some of the best sources are fruits, berries, mushrooms lettuce, hardwoods, and corn cobs. One cup of raspberries contains less than one gram of xylitol.
    Chewing is a natural process and chewing gums provide some exercise lacking in a refined diet. If chewing is uncomfortable, xylitol mints or candies can also stimulate saliva, the natural tooth protector.

►Safe
    In the amounts needed to prevent tooth decay (less than 15 grams per day), xylitol is safe for everyone.

►Convenient
    Xylitol can be conveniently delivered to your teeth via chewing gum, tablets, or even candy. You can implement your xylitol program anywhere, anytime. It fits right in with the most frantic schedules. You don’t need to change your normal routine to make room for xylitol.

►Enjoyable
    Some health regimens require iron willpower, discipline, and commitment. But xylitol tastes so good that it becomes automatic. Children love it! Nagging is minimized.

from xylitol.org
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    If it is so bad for our pets wouldn't it be messing with us too? May not show anything now but show up later in life!!!! I hate to trust some of that chemical crap!!!
    vhuber

not really, dogs have vastly different internal metabolic systems than humans, things they can eat (they are scavangers and built completely differently internally than us) we can't and vice versa.

For instance, a piece of really rotten meat that would really do some major damage for us (sick for days, possibly even death if the right bacteria was in it), is fine for a dog to eat. There have been lots of studies on this, the way our body processes this particular carbon chain is very different from how dogs do. Xylitol was derived from fruit, and remember, dogs don't naturally ever eat fruit, and shouldn't by the way (little tid bit) with a few exceptions such as apples and such.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use it in conjunction with Stevia for myself - I still have not convinced my hubby to give up Splenda - I am making slow progress with him, but we are taking itty bitty small baby steps in that area.

The only soda pop I purchase is called Zevia and it is sweetened with Xylitol and Stevia.

I like to purchase the rootbeer, put it in a tall glass, add a splash of heavy cream and a splash of pure vanilla to it and it is just like having a root beer float, without the icecream and sugary soda pop.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Yes, I use it in conjunction with Stevia for myself - I still have not convinced my hubby to give up Splenda - I am making slow progress with him, but we are taking itty bitty small baby steps in that area.

The only soda pop I purchase is called Zevia and it is sweetened with Xylitol and Stevia.

I like to purchase the rootbeer, put it in a tall glass, add a splash of heavy cream and a splash of pure vanilla to it and it is just like having a root beer float, without the icecream and sugary soda pop.

know about any ice cream (or frozen yogurt probably I imagine) with this instead of sugar in it? I'll bet that would be good.
  • katobow
    katobow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First, I do want to let you know that xylitol is very dangerous for dogs. It is an ingredient in sugarless gums. My Beagle got a hold of a piece of gum with this in it, one of my son's friends threw it in the bathroom waste basket, and the poor little guy got a bit ill. Most of it was just acting strange, but it was very strange. The vet told us that he would be fine the next day and he was. So, if you have an animal just don't let them get any! : )
    I used Stevia without any trouble whatsoever. No side effects or anything. I just didn't like that a teaspoon still has 5 calories because using it in my daily coffee would have added 50 calories that I would like to use elsewhere. But here is more info below. And, no, it's not a man made chemical as your other reply shows.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Xylitol[1]
    Xylitol
    IUPAC name
    [show]
    (2R,3R,4S)-Pentane-1,2,3,4,5-pentol
    Other names 1,2,3,4,5-Pentahydroxypentane;
    Xylite
    Identifiers
    CAS number [87-99-0

]
    Properties
    Molecular formula C5H12O5
    Molar mass 152.15 g/mol
    Density 1.52 g/cm³
    Melting point

92-96 °C
    Boiling point

216 °C
    Related compounds
    Related alkanes Pentane
    Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
    Infobox references
    Xylitol crystals

Xylitol (from Greek ξύλον - xyl[on], "wood" + suffix -itol, used to denote sugar alcohols) is an organic compound with the formula (CHOH)3(CH2OH)2. This achiral species is one of four isomers of 1,2,3,4,5-pentapentanol. This sugar alcohol is used as a naturally occurring sugar substitute found in the fibres of many fruits and vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms.[2] It can be extracted from corn fibre,[3] birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose with only two-thirds the food energy. As with most sugar alcohols, consumption can result in bloating, diarrhea, and flatulence, although generally rather less so than other sugar alcohols like sorbitol.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

know about any ice cream (or frozen yogurt probably I imagine) with this instead of sugar in it? I'll bet that would be good.

No, I will actually check the Coop and see what they have this evening and let you know if I find something with it. At least send you a name brand to look for.

I make my own ice cream the old fashioned way with raw heavy cream, stevia, xylitol, and pure vanilla. With using the raw heavy cream straight from the farm, it takes very little sweetner to use in home made ice cream as the heavy cream is naturally sweet anyway.