When a runner encounters a dog?

Options
Hey guys, quick ? for all you runners out there. I used to run at the track, but I am running longer distances now, so that got boring. I am now out on the roads. I have had a couple encounters with dogs coming after me. Talk about almost having a heart attack! Someone told me to carry pepper spray? Is that the best advice out there, or is there something else I can do?? Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, quick ? for all you runners out there. I used to run at the track, but I am running longer distances now, so that got boring. I am now out on the roads. I have had a couple encounters with dogs coming after me. Talk about almost having a heart attack! Someone told me to carry pepper spray? Is that the best advice out there, or is there something else I can do?? Thanks!

I've been lucky, so far no encounters with an aggressive dog (I do have a few four pawed friends along my regular running route)

Here are a couple of links to article that I hope you find helpful......

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-527--11976-2-1-2,00.html#

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-267--5356-0,00.html

I have encountered a couple of skunks foraging on garbage day (fortunately I saw them before they saw me :smile: )
  • Jedi_Jewel
    Jedi_Jewel Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great articles, thank you so much! Wow, I wouldn't want to have a run-in with a skunk, haha!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    From Brian's link: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-527--11976-2-1-2,00.html#

This: * Speak with the owners of bothersome dogs. Remind them that dogs should be leashed.
    And: * Report unleashed dogs to your local authorities

You didn't mention where your "roads" are. If you are pounding the pavement in a neighborhood and come across a dog and feel like using pepper spray you could have one pissed off owner. Not really something you want to deal with.

Using pepper spray meant for humans on a dog isn't exactly humane. Their eyes are much more sensitive than a human. I can understand you wanting some protection though. They do make pepper spray for dogs - its a lower grade from what I understand.

I live in the country , so no matter what road I take, there is always someone who has their dogs outside. No fence. You never know if the dog is friendly, wants to play, or is trying to keep you off their property - although most times you can tell.
  • Jedi_Jewel
    Options
    Yeah, the whole pepper spray thing sounded cruel to me. I live in a neighborhood out in the country, if that makes sense. There are dogs loose all over, including my own, lol. Most of them seem friendly, but I ran into one who I wasn't too sure of, so I just changed my route. I just don't like feeling unprotected, and I really don't want to have to resort to the "curl up in a ball" to keep a dog from trying to get at my throat.
    Thanks for you input guys :smile:
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray is not cruel if you are about to get attacked or chased by a dog...and I highly recommend getting it, or run with a running stick. We live in a very safe neighborhood. My sister was out for a run, got about 1/2 mile when she encountered 2 loose pit bulls. She stopped running, turned the other way, and walked slowly away. The pits came after her and attacked her. A car that was driving by saw her getting attacked, and thankfully stopped to help. They had to kick the dogs off of her, called an ambulance, and she had to get stitches in her head and butt, and nerve damage in her left hand (her thumb). After the attack, the police RETURNED the dogs to the owners with a summons...that was it.

Since this occurred, my dad has banned us from running on the roads until the pepper spray gets in. Its actually formed to fit in your hand while you run. So to the track it is for us.
  • heriwen
    heriwen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    =\ Please don't use pepper spray on dogs unless it's an absolute emergency. my neighbor's dog was sprayed in the face THROUGH THE FENCE and he is now terrified of people. If it's an emergency, then it's understandable. But don't misunderstand natural curiosity for aggression.
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but I take a spray bottle with water in it when I take my dog to the dog park, if they get a bit feisty a few sprays will make them back off each other. Might be an option rather than pepper spray ... or you could buy some spray from the pet store that dogs hate the smell of (usually to keep them off gardens and the like) and put that in a squirt bottle so it isn't a mist but a squirt IYKWIM.
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    Options
    Uggh, I was running through the park last week and this couple had their two massive dogs out. I don't know if they did it on purpose but they threw the ball right in front of me and I nearly tripped on two beasts coming after me! They didn't even apologize and they saw me coming a mile away.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of dogs. I'm terrified of them actually because of some experiences I've had with them. I don't know that I'm worried of one coming at me enough to carry pepper spray but I wouldn't blame you for wanting to carry it and you have every right to use it if a dog is being aggressive towards you.
  • Jedi_Jewel
    Options
    Alliesun- that's the only breed I'm am deathly afraid of. I'm glad your sister is okay, that's a horrible thing to happen. Thanks for all of your input guys.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray with me regardless when I'm out running or walking. It doesn't matter where or who you are, it's just better to be safe than sorry. In my opinion, I'd get pepper spray just to protect yourself, period, regardless of what or who might be attacking. I wouldn't spray an animal just because they are running towards me, but if they come up to bite me, teeth gleaming, slobber running, I'm definitely going to give them a spray in the face, then I'm going to pull out my cell phone and call the police. :) The owner can talk to them about why their dog was running lose.

FYI: I'm in a residential area where we have leash laws. Dogs must be on a leash or in a fence.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've encountered many dogs while running. I stop, say hello, let them sniff me, tell them "You're a good puppy!" (All dogs seem to respond well to being called "Puppy" -- it's the first "name" they know and puppyhood was typically a happy time in all dog's lives), then tell them to stay or go home, and walk away. When I'm a decent distance away and I know they're not following me, I start running again.

I do feel bad leaving loose dogs behind if there's no owners in sight. But I also don't want to carry a leash with me everywhere just in case I find a stray dog to bring him home and take him to the SPCA.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Give a firm voiced command in a low pitched voice. like "SIT!"
    if they are still running toward you and you feel threatened, use something like HALT on them.

If the owner complains - well - dog should have been under control.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Since this occurred, my dad has banned us from running on the roads until the pepper spray gets in. Its actually formed to fit in your hand while you run. So to the track it is for us.

There was a story recently where an officer came across a pitbull attack. He hit it with pepper spray, then the tazer, and finally had to shoot it to make it stop.

The above dogs should have been destroyed. Weren't they?
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    A buddy of mine that rides his bike daily carries a water gun. Don't know if it's filled with water or something else. He's had to use it a couple of times and the dogs stopped chasing him. It's a small super soaker, I think.
  • AzzCampbell
    Options
    I'm in England. If somebody pepper sprayed my playful pup because it wanted to greet them and they didn't want to have their run interrupted, then lol, you would have more than a playful pooch chasing you! >_<
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I've encountered many dogs while running. I stop, say hello, let them sniff me, tell them "You're a good puppy!" (All dogs seem to respond well to being called "Puppy" -- it's the first "name" they know and puppyhood was typically a happy time in all dog's lives), then tell them to stay or go home, and walk away. When I'm a decent distance away and I know they're not following me, I start running again.

This is what I do also. I stop running and try to talk to the dog. If I see his tail wag, I know I'm ok. If not... I walk slowly, always talking, saying good boy, good boy..... baby talk really, LOL. I don't run again until I'm a bit away. They seem to like to chase things that are running.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    When I'm out for a walk I always carry pepper spray. This isn't so much for stray dogs (although I do encounter them on occasion) but for coyotes (and evil humans). I haven't had to use it yet, but it's good to have on hand, along with the cell phone in case of emergency. The dogs I have encountered have all responded well to the mom voice (usually "Stop! Go Home!"). How I mastered that voice without having kids is beyond me.:smile:

The only animals that have really ever had come after me were the neighbors geese back when I was a kid. Those things are scary!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray is not cruel if you are about to get attacked or chased by a dog...and I highly recommend getting it, or run with a running stick. We live in a very safe neighborhood. My sister was out for a run, got about 1/2 mile when she encountered 2 loose pit bulls. She stopped running, turned the other way, and walked slowly away. The pits came after her and attacked her. A car that was driving by saw her getting attacked, and thankfully stopped to help. They had to kick the dogs off of her, called an ambulance, and she had to get stitches in her head and butt, and nerve damage in her left hand (her thumb). After the attack, the police RETURNED the dogs to the owners with a summons...that was it.

Where do you live and why weren't the dogs put down? Where I live this is the procedure. A friend of mine had been accused of her dog attacking a small child, when the truth was the dog barely scratched the child, and they won a $20,000 law suit and the very loving dog was put down. So Sad.

I was once jogging in a bad part of town, and two pit bulls charged me from inside a gated chain link fence. If it weren't for the fence, I may not be here today. Lesson learned.

I live in a pretty safe neighborhood now, but after reading this, may carry my pepper spray. I have a hand size container attached to my bicycle.
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I run with my pit bull (sweetest dog ever) in the country so there are loose dogs everywhere. I use a spray bottle and attach it to the leash so I dont have to hold it. There are always dogs that mess with us esp since i'm running with a dog. I would do something like that then have pepper spray too if needed. If you encounter a mean pit bull, pepper spray will prob be the only thing that works. They don't really feel pain...that is why mine is trained. She is awesome. Also, dogs sense fear. They are really good at reading energy and body language.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Carry an extending baton. Dogs understand an impending smack with a stick rather than pepper spray.

My father was a claims inspector for the electric company and carried a long heavy-duty flashlight whenever he had to go on someones property. Ostensibly to see damage in dark areas, but it came in handy for scaring off some mean dogs. He would run first, but there were times the dog was closer than his vehicle.

A dog sees you pick up a big club and they get the idea pretty quickly and tend to back down. If they don't you've got something to fend them off with and you haven't ruined their olfactory nerves/eyesight.