Pain from 30DS

Options
sazroy
sazroy Posts: 262 Member
Okay, I suffer shin splints from jogging.

I haven't done the 30DS for over a week now as I had finished Day 5 and BADLY injured my shin doing so, all the jumping around and butt kicks etc. My shins just can't take it.. Any advice for what I can do instead?

I was considering doing it with my exercise bike, so all the cardio (besides punches) I could do on the bike and the fastest pace I can handle to keep my heart rate up.. Is this a good thought? That way I'll cycle instead of be jumping and jogging, then do my strength and abs, rather than not do anything at all?

Replies

• Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at any other DVD's that arent all about legs?
  • sazroy
    Options
    Nope, don't know what other DVD's are out there, just decided 30DS because everyone's been talking about it.
  • clowermom
    clowermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know Jillian is a hard *kitten* and insists there aren't "modified" versions of certain exercises, but there are! I did the 30DS and had great results, even though I modified many of the exercises to be lower impact. My knees couldn't take the abuse.

If you can't take the jumping and butt kicks, do a lower impact exercise. For example, the jump rope exercises used to kill me so instead I would just bounce up and down, like I was jumping rope without lifting my feet off the ground. Less impact, but I was still working as hard. I even managed to modify the jumping jacks in the beginning. I would move one foot out and back and then the other foot. I don't know if it was "right", but it worked for me. :)

Do what feels comfortable for YOU. If you need to modify it -- do it. Just keep moving and keep your heart rate up.

Good luck!
  • sazroy
    Options
    Thank you, I think the bike idea is good, I'm vary wary about doing things that hurt in anyway, I constantly feel paranoid about what damage I'm potentially doing.
  • modernartemis
    modernartemis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat too! I began my weight loss with jogging, pushed myself too hard, and I ended up getting Morton's Neuroma in my foot (currently being treated with cortisone injections and orthopedics- it HURTS). I just started the 30 day shred as well. What I am doing is squats or just marching in place when she is jumping- there is no way my feet could take it. Then to make up for lost calories, I have bought a little stationary bike thing from wal-mart, and I work out on that while watching t.v. Hopefully this works for me as well as the jogging did! The bouncing up and down thing without lifting feet sounds like a good idea- I will have to try that! Good luck!