HRM

Options
I am thinking about purchasing a HRM primarily so I can get an idea of calories burned, as well as, making sure heart rate in the right target zones. Those of you using them, do you think calories burned is pretty close to accurate? Those that do not use one, is there a reason?

Replies

• jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the exact same thing that you are :)
  • tlk2sprkle
    tlk2sprkle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hopefully someone will help us out! :)
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 only used it a few times but so far it's pretty damn close to the results my body ugh used to give me
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    After being frustrated with machines at gym & mfp, I got a polarF4. I eat back most of my cals burned now,(yay, more to eat). Have lost 75lb. doing this. Hope this helps.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and so far so good. Not only is it accurate but it is also a huge motivator for me. While working out if I am not particularly in the mood I switch to how many cals burnt on my watch and go for it. It gives me instant gratification.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I haven't been using one because I believe I'm pretty good at gauging my activity level.

I did order a Polar FT7 for cheese and wiggles.

I figure there is a lot of wiggle room in the calories I record and the calories I expend. Obsessing over exact numbers isn't going to gain me anything...But I have more money than brains, so why not!
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft60! It's been good so far!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love my Polar FT4.
    I'm saving up for a super duper Garmin one, though! :)

And I think it's pretty accurate. I have a BodyMediaFit as well, and they are very close to eachother.
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Polar FT7! I used it today to test out the accuracy of my new elliptical trainer machine. The elliptical display was off by over 100 calories, but I did not stop long enough to see if I can input my weight and such, so that's understandable. However, the MFP option for Elliptical Trainer was spot on with my HRM.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. Like anything else a HRM is based on certain formulas and calculations and are not completely accurate but neither is anything else...like counting calories. The reason I use one is the judge my fitness level as I am training. If you are trying to lose weight it just makes sense to know how many calories you are burning so you know how much to fuel your body.
  • ResetJen
    ResetJen Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I made the investment in a Polar FT60, though I would have been just as happy with a FT4. I wanted to know calories burned and whether I was training in the right zone. I do feel it is accurate because somedays I know I'm not putting in the usual effort and the calorie count on the HRM shows this up.

I do find the MFP calorie counts to be high and also those on the various cardio machines.

We are all different, I have more confidence in the information supplied using an HRM.
  • KySny82
    KySny82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a Pyle HRM with a chest belt...it has a lot of different functionalities (some I haven't even figured out yet, haha), & comes in a cute pink/black color combo for ladies. I honestly love it! I found it on Amazon for $20, I believe. The first HRM I purchased was a Sportline without a chest belt that cost almost $70; what a waste of money!!

I don't believe the calories burned that are listed for the exercises on this site are accurate, simply because a person's sex, age, weight, fitness level, & intensity level all have to be taken into account when it comes to the amount of calories burned during a workout. I've actually found most of them to be very low.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40 and I love it.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Suunto TC3. It does target zones and tells you how long you worked out in each zone. It takes a lot of data ie age, sex, weight, and fitness level based on how much you exercise. With all your personal stats I would think its accurate. It logs about 80 calories less than my elliptical on a 30 workout.
  • dixiecup19
    dixiecup19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have to polar FT7 and I LOVE it. I use it everyday and I believe that it is accurate.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin F60 and I think it's pretty accurate as far as reading my HR. It's helped a lot control my work out to be in a fat burn zone instead of cardio zone! Best $100 purchase I've made!
  • tlk2sprkle
    tlk2sprkle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all. It definitely seems like is HRM is worth trying. Thanks again :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, for the win!
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Woooo-hooo I am happy now.....my HRM came today a polar FT4 :) I had an older polar but it went crazy on me so I ordered me a new one for my birthday....is it bad that I am addicted to my HRM like someone who is addicted to crack?