College Student trying to lose 55 pounds

Options
Hey Everyone!

My name is Shakerria and I'm a nursing student. Need I say more? lol I've gained 55 pounds since I have started college. I was prepared for the freshman 15, but I was not prepared for 55 pounds! ugh! I'm 175 now and I'm trying to get to what I weighed when I started college, which was 120. I would greatly appreciate the support and tips for a stressed out college student to lose weight! I hit the gym twice a week and do body pump (a weight lifting class) for an hour and then zumba for an hour and I seem to be maintaining my weight but not losing. :( help!!!!

Replies

• juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    I also gained weight during my first year, lost 22 pounds in the summer before second year. Add me if you want! :)
  • lolarit
    lolarit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'm just finishing my degree and its shocking to think what I looked like 4 years ago... 55lb lighter.
    I'm trying to get my pre-uni bod back or at least something close.
    You can add me if you want :)
  • isaypwnsj00
    Options
    oh jeez i am in the exact same boat! i was 130 and jumped to 172 after a year in college! >_<!!!
    i hope you reach your goal! feel free to add me if you need someone to motivate you through your weight loss! ( i know i need it sometimes... haha)

i put in a major change to my diet and i started seeing the pounds dropping. if you need any advice or tips, i'm here!

good luck!
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    Hmm perhaps you need to spend more time at the gym? I have a lot of friends who work out so I often hear knowledge on this kind of thing. In order to maintain weight, you should go to the gym for 30 minutes for 3-5 days a week. However, to lose weight you should do some sort of vigorous activity for atleast 60 minutes 5 times a week. I am a college student with a job and I know how hard it is to manage time and study, but exercise decreases stress levels so perhaps visiting more will actually prove to be helpful!
  • CortneyCPT
    CortneyCPT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Shakerria!
    How is your weight loss going? The two classes you are taking at the gym are awesome!! What types of activities do you do when you are not at the gym? Going twice a week is great. =) I would suggest adding a few more workout days. Right now you have 5 days without workouts which may be a reason why you are only maintaining your weight. If you were to add another day or two you will most likely start seeing more changes. Even if you added 20 to 30 minutes to go for a walk or do some basic body weight exercises you would start seeing more changes.
  • maryrosenavoa
    maryrosenavoa Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Let's motivate each other, pls add me guys:)
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lol..I just posted the same thing!!! I too am in nursing school but for my Masters to become a nurse educator and there is so much stress involved it is not even funny! I have been in school for four years now and have already completed two bachelors and a masters and started my second masters on Monday...So stress eat? yes! I lived sooooooo unhealthy during those four years but not any more! I teach nursing as well, so I know alllllll tooo well how stressed you are and how easy it is to put that weight on! I am 180 right now but I want to lose 30 pounds...I have found that as bad as I don't want to read them while I am trying to enjoy myself, my textbooks fit nicely on the treadmill while I am walking and I kill two birds with one stone so to speak!

So keep up the good work not only in your workouts but at school too! It will work out! Good luck!
  • Anasye
    Anasye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HI, I just graduated and I have gained 30 lbs during college I would like to lose at least 20lbs. I have been yo-yoing for the past two years but i finally decided to joined a join a gym and take some sessions with a personal trainer. The hardest thing for me is being consistant with my eating habits all 7 days of the week.
  • roliepolieolie
    roliepolieolie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get to 120 pounds too!! :smile: Let's be MFP buddies! :flowerforyou: