Are you Organic?

Options
2»

Replies

• moonsforeyes
    Options
    I eat as much organic food as possible! It really is expensive, but not always! Trader Joes and Whole Foods have a ton of organic and natural foods for really cheap; both have their own brand which is going to be cheaper than others. Also, when it gets nicer out, visit your local farms for produce!
  • Bergiere
    Bergiere Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but I've been seriously considering it.
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think organic for the most part is a bunch of crap.

Not true at all. Who sponsored the show? Monsanto?

Just an example: http://www.wellnesschronicles.com/image-files/organic_vs_commercial_farming.jpg

If people are OK with feeding themselves and their children with chemicals, that's their choice. I understand that some people have financial issues, but I don't get people who could afford to buy organic and they don't.

My food is mostly organic. I always eat organic veggies, fruit, free range meat (I don't need extra antibiotics) and eggs when I'm at home. When I go out, I sometimes don't have a choice. Rarely, but it happens.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I started eating organic foods after watching "Food Inc" in 2010. It took many months to search out the best options in my area. Like others, I buy Trader Joe's brand, and find lots of organic fresh fruit and veggies here too. I like the 365 brand at Whole Foods, and our local Lucky store has increased it's organic section quite a bit. The Farmers Market has some great options, too.

Since it is quite a bit more expensive, I've had to cut down somewhere else in my budget. I'm trying to justify giving less to charity. I'm rationalizing by recognizing that organic farm workers benefit from not having to work in toxic fields.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't really answer your question! No, I can't say I can taste the difference between organic and conventional produce. I don't feel any healthier and, alas, my skin hasn't suddenly taken on a rosy glow since switching to organic. But I know my body is silently thanking me.

I can say this: If something I want isn't available organic, and I end up buying conventional, I feel a little sick inside. I think of all the herbicides and pesticides still lurking on and sometimes IN the food. I think of how sick the soil must be where it grew, and how sick the farm workers who picked it will be one day. I think of the polluted water and air, and worry about GMOs and the safety of our food supply in the future. It's easier on my psyche to just stick with organics, especially the "dirty dozen. "http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/dirty-dozen-foods#fbIndex1

I loved reading Michael Pollan's book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and highly recommend it to anyone considering going organic. The kid's version of this book (about 8th grade level) reads very quickly and is entertaining.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I like to eat organic as much as possible. I've noticed that some organic foods taste better, avocados, local carrots, onions, and spinach for instance. The most important things to buy organic is any animal products.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I just wish organic stuff was not so expensive.
  • klafrankie
    klafrankie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Check out my blog as I spend the summer working for the Organic Consumers Association. http://myorganicrevolution.blogspot.com
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    I also only buy organic vegetables and fruits that are on the "Dirty Dozen" list. These fruits and vegetables are more likely to absorb pesticides than others (things like peaches, spinach, bell peppers). Other veg like onions or avocados just isn't worth the price as the absorption of pesticides is minimal.

This is the first I've heard of this list, thanks for the info, definitely worth consideration.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I pick and choose my organic battles.
    If it is meat I am more likely to buy organic since I don't usually buy meat, so I may as well splurge.
    Most of my produce comes from the local farmer's market, so much of it is organic or at least grown by people who care. Same with eggs and milk.
    If it is a processed food then I'm not as likely to buy it organic. When I rarely buy a soda I don't really care if it is organic or not, I'm not buying it for the health properties.