No Gym Membership...

Options
Neither me or my husband have a gym membership...we have a treadmill at the house but I get tired of doing the same thing over and over...i tend to stop after so many weeks of the same treadmill routine...any ideas for at home stuff...i do have some videos that I supplement (belly dancing, yoga, cardio dance...) I do have some weights that I can use too...any ideas would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Depending on how crazy you want to get, youtube has lots of stuff

Old bodyrock.tv stuff (charliesjames1975)
    new zuzana light stuff (zuzkalight)
    or search for ghetto workouts =)
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Here you go! Free online workouts!!!

I just found this one the other day. Love it so far!
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zuzka!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight?ob=0&feature=results_main
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You can do ALOT of good workouts at home and without equipments. I'll give you an example of a routine. Please excuse me since I dont know the names of most of these workouts

1) sit on the floor with your legs wide open and start punching the air. Do this for about 2-3 minutes non-stop. Make sure your back in 90 degrees to the floor and your toes are pointing up

2) pushups. Lots of them. I do about 25 in a row

3) More punching in the air while sitting on the floor for 2-3 minutes

4) lay down on the floor completely with your back about 1-2 inches above the floor and your thighs at a 90 degree angle to the floor while your legs are horizontal to the floor. Start moving the legs like you're riding a bike. About 1 minutes

5) jumping jacks. I do about 25

6) Now, you're doing more punching in air except this time instead of sitting, you're standing and basically jogging at a spot while punching. About 2-3 more minutes

7) Another session of jumping jack

8) More air punching while still jogging

9) This round, stand straight, bend over perpendicular while touching your abs with both hands, bend over some more and touch your toes (or try to in my case). Get back to the perpendicular position to touch your abs again, stand up straight with your hands above your head while standing on your toes

10) more punching in air while jogging

Done. Do as many sets of these are you like. This is what I do alot before I start boxing

Edit: This is just part of my workout I do on my hard workout days, theres alot more and I dont mind sharing more workouts if you'd like
  • m1shootr
    m1shootr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix, you can stream stuff. You can also invest in some DVDs.
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    xbox and stepping are also part of my routine. Just get a step and a stepping dvd.
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    Yeah I gotta say Netflix or Hulu. Hulu has a fitness channel I believe with some routines. I have a friend who also watches videos and she seems to be pretty happy with it. Good luck!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/belly-off-club

A great workout, no gym required. There's lots of free workouts online. Good luck!
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA! You can get the DVDs or even check them out from the library (I do that for weeks I know I won't be able to get to the gym). Looks like there are lots of other great ideas here too. Good luck!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Checkout this krazy dude on www.hulu.com and look at the show "Operation Osmin". He trains his folks and they all lose 20+lbs in 30 days and they never set foot in a gym.

Also, there are free workout videos on Youtube and on hulu.com

I bought a HRM (Heart RAte Monitor) a few wks ago and love it. You can track your calories burned and helps you realize when you are in your fat burn zone. I can now wear during my salsa class and see how many calories I'm burning. Was great when I did Julia Micheals Online Youtube video too!

My nutritionist told me last week its good to vary your workouts. Your body starts to get 'muscle memory' and use to your workouts. So good to add a salsa class, zumba, different types of cardio and weights. Its like tricking your body!

Good luck!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Neither me or my husband have a gym membership...we have a treadmill at the house but I get tired of doing the same thing over and over...i tend to stop after so many weeks of the same treadmill routine...any ideas for at home stuff...i do have some videos that I supplement (belly dancing, yoga, cardio dance...) I do have some weights that I can use too...any ideas would be much appreciated!
    Tons of awesome workouts on You tube ranging from Zumba to pretty much anything you imagine, at no cost that's something to take a peek at and see what you find that interests you both. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Oops, my apology, I hadn't realized You tube had already been suggested.:blushing: :bigsmile:

Looks like you've got some great suggestions up there!:drinker:
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    OnDemand also has fitness videos to keep things fresh. Get out and run, go for a walk, body weight exercises like squats, push ups etc. I prefer working out at home since I have 3 kids and we're on a tight budget. Just get up and move...
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do go to the gy m but there are days i cant go on those days i follow dvds but the pushups and abcrunches at home can benefit you too check out exercise on demand or u tube if u cant go to the gym
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My cousin told me about the Deck of Cards workout. I probably don't have this exactly right, but it was something like this.....Each suit stands for one of the following (or make up your own variation): Pushups, Body weight squats, Jumping Jacks, Sit ups or Planks. Shuffle the deck and flip a card over, do 15-20 of whichever exercise you designated for that suit. Continue till done with deck or till you can't go on..... If interested, you can google it since i'm sure i don't have it exactly as she told me.....
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Rope-skipping! 10 minutes of it burns 83 calories for me
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Bump for the ideas - thanks everyone.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nike-training-club/id301521403?mt=8

FREE and awesome. You can also buy streaming workouts on Amazon.com (that 30 day shred that everyone is doing on MFP was only 5 bucks last time I looked.)