Does anyone with kids workout with their SO?

Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
My husband and I are trying to figure out the best schedule so we can lift weights (at home) together. At night, we get busy with other stuff and don't always get it done. I know for sure he doesn't want to get up at 4am to do it. I don't always get home at an early enough time, and when I do get home, I start dinner right away.

What do you do? Any suggestions? It takes us 45-60 minutes since we trade off after every set (to allow rest time between sets).

Replies

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    It's hard to answer this question, because we have no real understanding of what your schedule is like. If it were me, I would ask myself what time of day do my husband and I usually spend the most time together? My husband and I generally watch TV together for a couple of hours after the kids go to bed, so that would be the ideal time for us, but I can't say when is best for you.

If you are concerned about getting busy and forgetting, try setting an alarm!
  • jennifer783
    jennifer783 Posts: 86 Member
    How old are your kid(s)? We have a 3,5, and 7 year old and my hubbie and I work out in the evenings. The kiddos either play quietly or workout along with us. It was pretty cute and funny to see them getting into P90x and now Insanity :) If they don't want to work out, they know it's quiet play time before bath rituals....that's how our schedule works for us. Hope you find something, too!! It can be done! :)
  • My husband and I do but we go to a gym. I don't have the space to have a power rack in my house. :happy: So, the kids go to the kid club there and we have our "date time". Granted (with the exception of spotting each other on bench) we're really just lifting in the same vicinity. We have a set schedule that we follow (every Tues, Thurs and Sat). Maybe try supersets to cut down the time? Also, find a good program and it's not a chore to do it. Instead, you'll look forward to it even if you're tired at the end of the day.
  • TIARAR247
    TIARAR247 Posts: 47 Member
    We have gym time together. The gym we go to has free daycare. We also go to the park and jog/walk on some weekends. They have a playground where our son goes to play while we exercise. Sometimes our son will come over and jog with us. That would be a good idea for you. Family fitness. You may not be able to do everything you would like to but at least you will be moving.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    Thanks for the replies!

I leave for work at 6:30am and get home between 4:30-5:30 on most nights. DH leaves at 7am and gets home at 4pm. Our kids are 3, 4, and 7. We were working out right around (before/after) their bedtime, and that was okay. We are going to try that again tonight. I found a 2 day/week lifting program (that's all we want to do together), so we'll see if we can make that work.