grilled cheese

Options
wow...i got back from out of state last week and havent have a chance to get to the grocery store to do some shopping so all i had availble for lunch today was some stuff for a grilled cheese sandwich...holy cow, i definately should have checked everything before i ate it...i put it all in here and i had the sandwich and a coulpe crackers with some apple jiuce....over 700 calories! i had no idea it was going to be that bad. no more grilled cheese for me! definately gonna get to the store this weekend and stock back up on the healthy stuff

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I love grilled cheese!! My favorite sandwich ever :love: :heart: :love:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    It can be more healthy than that you just have to watch how much cheese you use... when I make one I use 2 pieces of whole wheat bread with a slice of provolone and some shredded mozzarella cheddar mix... I don' put butter on it or anything so its plain and then I dip it in ketchup. Around 400 cal or less... :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    wow...i got back from out of state last week and havent have a chance to get to the grocery store to do some shopping so all i had availble for lunch today was some stuff for a grilled cheese sandwich...holy cow, i definately should have checked everything before i ate it...i put it all in here and i had the sandwich and a coulpe crackers with some apple jiuce....over 700 calories! i had no idea it was going to be that bad. no more grilled cheese for me! definately gonna get to the store this weekend and stock back up on the healthy stuff

That's exactly why I'm forever suggesting to the newbies to log everything BEFORE, rather than afterwards. It's quite the eye opener sometimes, when you THINK you've been ok, and then find out otherwise! :noway: :grumble: :smile:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Man how was a grilled cheese that many cals? Dangggggg I love those...I want to eat one soon!
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I love grilled swiss cheese sandwiches.
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You should be weary of how many calories are in the bread and the cheese. I found Nature's Own Wheat Bread to have 50 calories per slice and the 2% american cheese only has 45 calories. that would be a 145 calorie sandwich. Just need to watch the nutritional information.
  • repete11
    repete11 Posts: 53
    Options
    sara lee makes a 45 calorie bread and kraft makes a fat free american cheese with only 25 calories per slice. This should help out quite a bit. Also, you really don't need that much butter to make it taste good!!:happy:
  • missbabybee
    Options
    sara lee makes a 45 calorie bread and kraft makes a fat free american cheese with only 25 calories per slice. This should help out quite a bit. Also, you really don't need that much butter to make it taste good!!:happy:

I agree! Skip the butter, use a little bit of non-stick cooking spay in the pan, and add some diced tomatoes and basil for flavor!
  • Osland
    Osland Posts: 3
    Options
    You hit the nail right on the head !!! PLAN and put in your food BEFORE you eat. This is one thing that really helped me and before long, I constantly looked at the calorie count on the package as well. It became easy. But another way is also to do half a sandwich.......
  • tymaddox
    Options
    If you want an amazing grilled cheese recipe, read on!

2 slices of low-calorie bread
    2 slices tomato
    harvarti and fontina cheeses (they melt way better than cheddar, so try to find the least-fattening option of them)
    drizzle of honey
    fresh basil

Spray some anti-stick spray on a pan, and toast the inside of each slice of bread so they won't get soggy. When browned, flip them over and put on cheeses, tomato, honey, and basil. It is DELICIOUS! This is probably the best grilled cheese recipe ever, and it's awesome with a healthy bowl of salad or something on the side. Trust me... try it =]
  • yentasdoitbetter
    yentasdoitbetter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    SOLUTION TO DIET GRILLED CHEESE!!!!!

ok so its not as delicious as regular american cheese and fattening yummy butter...but it does the trick!

weight watchers american cheese slices
    weight watchers bread or wonder light
    i cant believe its not butter spray

glass of skim milk with low fat chocolate syrup

i make them on the george foreman grill, a lil spray olive oil on the bread, toast it up, throw the cheese on to melt it and close it up...grill for another minute and VWOLA! diet grilled cheese...spray the butter on after its all done (and only a tiny bit) or it gets soggy....if anyone tries it, let me know what you think
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    It isn't the butter - a tsp of butter is only about 30 calories - so, it is more about the bread and cheese that you use (and how much) :glasses:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    using honey wheat bread and 2% cheese is a great way to enjoy it!! the juice probably added the calories. But I love apple juice as well