Need to Eat More - Never Before an Issue!

Options
:frown: The past 4-5 days I have been having trouble eating all my calories BEFORE counting in the exercise calories I earn. I am an emotional eater, so this is weird for me. I've been stuck at the same weight for about a week, so I think I'm in starvation mode. What I need is some HEALTHY snack ideas. I almost always exceed my sugar allowance. Any ideas for high-medium calorie snacks with no sugar? I've already had my HUGE dinner salad that only adds up to about 80 calories, and my usual dinner and evening snack is only going to get me to about 1100 for the day. I am supposed to have 1200 and have earned about 360 from exercise today, more if I still do my Pilates which I usually do every night.:huh: I realize this is an obnoxious problem to have, but it really is a problem at the moment.:ohwell:

:embarassed: :embarassed: OKAY, I'll even make my food diary public as long as no one harrasses me about my nightly M&Ms and 3 oz of ice cream. It's my daily sin, and I am NOT :noway: giving it up!:smile:

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    lately [cuz they are ready in the garden lol]

i am loving green beans [either alone or with hummus]
    as well as snap peas

apple with peanut butter is another quick but gooder [natural sugars]

berries/fruit [natural sugar]

cottage cheese with veg or fruit

put some cheese and or protein [meat or beans] in your salad :)

PG:flowerforyou:
  • hlouiv
    hlouiv Posts: 1
    Options
    It is very hard to find a product with no sugar, but a great snack is beef jerky, cheese (1g of sugar per slice for 2% American), or some sort of deli meat. I enjoy a ham and cheese roll up for a after dinner snack if I get hungry. Take one serving of ham and one slice of cheese. Thats about 150 calories and maybe 3 grams of sugar. You can even find whole wheat bread that is sugar free and make a sandwhich instead of a roll up. The sandwhich would give you around 250 calories. Good luck and keep up the good work.

2nd Lt. Louviere
  • rvest
    rvest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I understand your problem. How about a handful of nuts (almonds for example) for some good protein? Or a small peice of cheese and a few crackers with some fruit? Be sure to eat the calories, or close to it. I have gotten stuck at a weight too because I don't eat the exercise calories. Your body is smart, it knows when you are starving.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yep, as mentioned above, maybe add some protein to your salad - throw in some chopped boiled egg, some cheese, tuna, chicken, lean turkey, etc...

You can slather a banana with peanutbutter (at least it's natural sugar) or do the same with an apple

How's your protein usually? I find when I keep my protein up, I have more energy and am not so hungry (or grouchy :blushing: ) lol
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: The only thing I can think of is apples and cheese. Maybe add some grapefruit or oranges?

Or some nuts?

I promise not to fuss about your M&M's if you don't fuss about my 2 pieces of Hersheys Dark Chocolate Bliss every night, :noway:

I really hope this helps.
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    Thanks for the help. What IS hummus? I've heard of it but have no idea what it is. The beans and peas sound good. I do the fruit and berries quite a bit even though the tracker I use for it doesn't have sugar included (I probably don't want to know even if it is "natural"). Love jerky, hate the water weight from exceeding sodium - same problem with my dill pickles. Cheese. That could be a problem. I have been avoiding cheese because I have trouble stopping. I can limit M&Ms and ice cream, but cheese.......:frown: I'll give it a shot!
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    Your body is smart, it knows when you are starving.

:wink: Damn body - it still weight 164 pounds - it is NOT starving!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    When I am desperate for calories, I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter or chocolate milk. Maybe a bowl of cereal too. Won't fill your stomach very much, but bumps up the cals for the day. Andddd I do know where you're coming from. When I first started I was starving, several weeks later I was where you are, and now I'm back to "I want pizza and cheeseburgers" so I am getting better about eating my recommended caloric intake. Good luck..it will all work itself out!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a dip/spread that is made from chickpeas. In fact, hummus is the Arabic word for chickpea. You may notice that many hummus recipes call for garbanzo beans, not chickpeas. Don't worry, garbanzo is the Spanish translation of chickpea.

sooo yummy with veggies, crackers, pita,
    spread on a pita filled with veggies, yummy yummy yummy! can buy it or make it yourself :)
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    Hummus is a dip/spread that is made from chickpeas. In fact, hummus is the Arabic word for chickpea. You may notice that many hummus recipes call for garbanzo beans, not chickpeas. Don't worry, garbanzo is the Spanish translation of chickpea.

sooo yummy with veggies, crackers, pita,
    spread on a pita filled with veggies, yummy yummy yummy! can buy it or make it yourself :)

Okay, thanks. I actually love chickpeas. They are high calorie but good for you, aren't they?
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    I think you should llisten to your body. If you are not hungry to eat more than don't. Who cares what MFP or any other expert says about eating a minimum of 1200 calories. They also say not to exceeed certain limits and we have no problem breaking that rule everyday. I think for someone who eats too much, getting in the mindst of "I need to eat more or I will starve" is only going to worsen the problem. Learn to listen to your body, eat when you are hungry, stop when you are not anymore and don't eat for any other purpose tham fuel.

On another note, if your meal is only 80 calories that tells me you dont have any protein on your salad. You really need lots of protein in your diet. It helps with losing weight and building muscle amoungst other things.