ladies only! kind of an important question...

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The chances of being given an IUD before having children is slim to none. Also, since you're concerned primarily about maintaining menses, you DO need the hormones. Your body is not following the normal 28 day hormonal cycle, meaning you don't have normal hormonal fluctuations, so treating with hormones is the only way to fix that. Continually missing periods puts you at higher risk for osteoporosis and heart disease. BC works on a case-by-case basis because we all have different baseline levels of estrogen and progesterone. You could get a progesterone-only pill; it has lower levels of hormones and, while not quite as reliable as a combination of estrogen and progesterone, it works for regulating menses.
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of great stuff out there and you can remove it when you are ready to have children. But I personally used BC and was great with it so I thought my husband said that I was an emotional reck and was very evil on the pill so we used condoms i am a believer we both have to take precautions but talk to your gyn
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    condoms
  • juliep63
    juliep63 Posts: 84
    Options
    I USE THE MIRENAAND IT IS GOOD FOR FIVE YEARS AND CAN BE TAKEN OUT BEFORE THEN AND IS NON HORMONE. I AM STARTING TO SLOWLY USE THE WEIGHT I GAINED FROM THE SHOT

20370.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator

Same here. I gained so much weight on the Depo shot. I've posted about this before, and I adore Mirena. I was told, though, that it is hormonal, but it only affects the uterus, unlike the pills which get into the blood stream (hence the weight gain). I haven't gained a single pound, and forget I have it most of hte time

After you remove it, it takes 1 month to be 100% fertile again, but there are no complications with pregnancy. I rave about this product to all of my friends. :love:

http://www.mirena.ca/
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen for a few years, and really liked it. I never had weight gain with it, and it had the added benefit of keeping my skin clear. I'm debating over whether to take it again myself.
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As far as getting an IUD when you have never given birth, a lot of doctors won't do it but plenty of them will. If you decide that an IUD is what you want and you don't want to mess with being obstructed by certain doctors, try getting it from Planned Parenthood. They are big on trusting womens' decision making abilities and if you are ok with the fact that it may be a bit painful to insert they won't refuse to give it to you. They are also non-profit, operate on a sliding fee scale to your income, and may be able to get you funding so you can get it cheap or free. They are great for other types of BC as well, but especially for a woman with no kids wanting an IUD!

(full disclosure: I work at PP so that is how i know :smile: )
  • caitlinconlon
    Options
    NUVA RING for sure!! the best method of bc ever!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    condoms

yes!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am on Yasmin. I actually dropped a few pounds when I started it and any weight gain I had was my own fault from eating badly. Also, my skin cleared up. It's higher risk of stroke than other pills though. The only reason I was prescribed it was because I have PMDD.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get off hormones, so I got the Paragard IUD. It's non hormonal and good for 12 years.

i am only 24 so will this hurt my chances of having kids in about 6 years? also what are the side effects?

I also got the IUD. No hormones. Its just a little copper device that sits in your uterus. Its amazing. Copper somehow fights the sperm naturally, kills the little buggers.

The day you pull it out, you can get pregnant. Good for 10 years (mine). The only side effects...the first year my bleeding was more frequent and harder cramps. but exercise takes care of that. Now that I've had it for 4 years, I am regular, no issues. When I got it, my insurance didn't cover them. So I forked over $600. Now of course they do cover. :grumble: But still, very glad I did it!

P.S. Dr's dont talk about them much bc they dont get a kickback from the pharmacudical companies. They are more inclined to push a monthly method, because thats what these companies make their money on. Just an FYI. Luckily my Dr. listened to what I wanted (i though it wouldn't exist - no mood swings, my sex drive back, not have to remember to take something).

I've hear multiple times that IUD's aren't suitable for younger women that want to have babies later on.. Plus my aunt fell pregnant with an IUD with her third child so she had the tubes tied after that.

I'm on Yasmin and no weight problems. Hormones yes but most use hormones otherwise they haven't got as good of a protection %. I'd go pill or condoms.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I gained LOTS of weight on the Depo Shot... her name is Makayla and she's almost 5 now. I was on Depo for 4 years with no problems.... then one day I was pregnant.
    For me, mirena made me moody and caused breast tenderness all month long.
    Now I'm using NuvaRing. I'm losing weight just fine. I like it.
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    I have a cute little boy {and 2 angel babies} thanks to that damn NuvaRing :tongue:
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I had less side effects with both Nuva Ring and the patch (can't remember the brand name) but my sensitive skin didn't do well with the patch.

Check out the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." For great info on how to use charting your body's fertility signs (basal body temp, cervical mucus and position) to either prevent pregnancy or conceive.
    The chances of being given an IUD before having children is slim to none. Also, since you're concerned primarily about maintaining menses, you DO need the hormones. Your body is not following the normal 28 day hormonal cycle, meaning you don't have normal hormonal fluctuations, so treating with hormones is the only way to fix that. Continually missing periods puts you at higher risk for osteoporosis and heart disease. BC works on a case-by-case basis because we all have different baseline levels of estrogen and progesterone. You could get a progesterone-only pill; it has lower levels of hormones and, while not quite as reliable as a combination of estrogen and progesterone, it works for regulating menses.
    Is your cycle predictable just long, or random? If you don't know there are lots of apps for smart phones for tracking your cycle. 28 days is an average, not mandatory for normal function. My cycles are about 36 days. That's totally normal. Every woman is different and differences in the length of cycles is normal.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of BC at all. I thought I had wonky cycles until I started charting them. Really they're just about 41 days long. My husband and I have been using the pull out method successfully for 2 years. BC isn't the only way!
  • nsciambi
    nsciambi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't interested in charting, TCOYF is a must read for every woman.

Check out the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." For great info on how to use charting your body's fertility signs (basal body temp, cervical mucus and position) to either prevent pregnancy or conceive.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I'm a much lighter, and much NICER person since changing from Yasmin to Nuva ring. Sometimes it feels like it drops the pH a little too much "down there", but it's still nice just having the hormones in one spot rather than throughout my whole body. My Dr said it's basically a topical method, so it's also safer when you have to take antibiotics.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am on Kariva which is great. It hasn't effected my weight loss at all and my periods are way lighter. I used to have a very heavy cycle but now its down to 2 days. Which if you think about it makes it easier to exercise.
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hated the nuvaring. I liked it at first until I realized I suddenly had high blood pressure, headaches and crazy nightmares that all went away within a week of stopping it.

I have mirena and I love it, although I have a friend who had a horrible experience with it. It's rare for her symptoms to be related to mirena so her dr refused to believe her to take it out and she basically had to beg him, finally she got it out and was better w/in 24 hrs... For the record, 3/4 of the gals I know on mirena have never had children, so I don't think it's really a prerequisite across the board. You might find drs who don't like to, but it's not an issue to have it

That being said I know 3 gals on paraguard because of their extreme sensitivity to hormones and they like it just fine
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for 15yrs or so, stopping to have 2 children. Never had an issue with any negative side effects at all. However, my OB and primary care both wanted me off the pill now that I'm over 35 and my blood pressure seemed to be creeping up.

Two months ago I got Mirena, insertion was no big deal - but the HORRIBLE rash that I have all over my body IS a problem. After fighting with both my OB and my primary care trying to convince them that is IS the Mirena causing this...I still have it and am trying a round of prednisone to get rid of the rash before having the Mirena removed.

That being said - everyone's body reacts different to every medication. Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error to find what is going to work the best for you, your body and your situation.
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm on a monophasic pill right now. Never really had any problems on BCPs, including OrthoTricyclen. I don't have any kids, so not looking to use an IUD. And even though my fiance is getting a vasectomy in June, when I go back to the doctor, I'm going to ask her for Seasonique so I can only have my period every 3 months. I'm doing that with my current pills, but it would be nice to have the packs specifically geared toward that. Hopefully the new doctor won't tell me I'm too old to be on BCPs like the PA at the health dept did (just recently got health insurance.) :grumble: