Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating to Procrastinate

Does anyone do this? here i am, with a million years of homework to do and about 2 hours to do it...and what am i doing? that's right. stuffing my face. WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN!?!?!?!

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    I do it, and I know at least one other person who does as well.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    I've been known to do it, too. Horrible!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    That's pretty much how I managed to gain 15 lbs. It's also a vicious cycle since procrastinating means you stay up later, and less sleep makes you (or me at least) hungrier. It's pretty much why Vet school made pack on pounds I thought I'd shed for good. Well, the procrastination and lack of sleep and the fact that I wore scrubs for weeks at time in clinics, so I couldn't tell that my pants were too tight.
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    i definitely do that. it's usually something along the lines of..."I have the big assignment to take of. Oh, hmmm..I'm hungry." Surprise surprise.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    I don't necessarily eat, but I cook or mess around with making up a recipe. Or I get on here, like I am right now! LOL
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    I eat when I'm bored. I always have and I'm almost always bored soooo I tend to eat alot.
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 168 Member
    ugh its so gross and i don't know how to stop it! and its wrecking my grades and my body. what do you guys do to stop this cycle?
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    I read this as 'eating to procreate' and was a lot more interested and must now go back to the mundane-ness of my day.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    I tend to try to get as much done as possible as quickly as possible and then think just a few more minutes ....... Then I am absolutely starving and find myself searching the cupboards for anything that might fill a hole!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    I read this as 'eating to procreate' and was a lot more interested and must now go back to the mundane-ness of my day.

I thought that was a way to avoid procreation.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    SO glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this! Well, not as much as I used to because I got a handle on it for the most part. I once stood in my living room eating caramel corn out of the can while I was thinking about all the stuff I still needed to get done. It's like my brain took a hike, and my hands were in control. Don't know why I did that, but now if I catch myself going into the kitchen when I'm not hungry, I'll grab my water bottle, fill it with water and maybe a flavored mix-in, and leave before I do any damage.
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 168 Member
    well you guys are making me feel like 10x better....at least i'm not the only one!
  • mrsgroove
    mrsgroove Posts: 44
    I totally get this!! I have done this my whole life. Realizing it and accepting it has been the key (and MFP) to my losing weight for the first time. I have, countless times, stood in the kitchen after work, eating a snack while I gather the energy to cook dinner! Then I would snack and taste while I cooked dinner and then sit down to eat a full plate ( or two) with the family. No wonder i gained weight. By noticing this behavior in myself and realizing what was happening was the first step to lessening the behavior. I can't say that it never happens anymore but it happens alot less, and when it does, I just log it and move forward and resolve to try to stop the out of control eating sooner next time.
    We get so tired with our busy schedules that we forget to take breaks. Most of the time, i was eating to avoid another "chore". So I made a deal with myself. If I notice myself "snacking" to avoid something else. I will go SIT DOWN and take a ten minute break. Usually, after a rest, the unpleasant chore is easier to start and I can avoid the snacking.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Ha, so I'm not the only one...

I'm going to try mrsgroove's advice, but I think half the job is recognising you're doing it *at the time* - unfortunately, MFP makes food a "better" procrastination - all the weighing of the rice cake, the chutney and the cottage cheese, then the logging - by whick time I'm ready to peel and weigh a clementine...