anyone quit smoking/drinking and starting a diet?

Options
hello im 28 and i quit smoking, drinking, and started dieting a couple of months ago. wondering if anyone has done the same out there? its super hard and i need some partners in misery.

Replies

• modernartemis
    modernartemis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did quit smoking- but it was years ago. I am about to cut down drinking to one night a week- which will be a bit of a change for me. It's hard because I have a lot of trouble sleeping, which is why I usually drink. I know it's hard to quit smoking without ruining your diet- when I quit I gained about ten pounds. It's hard not to replace the item you are craving with something else! But what do you do when you cut out everything???!!!

Trust me not drinking will probably be the hardest part of this because my friends are drinkers. It's going to take a lot of self control, but I am sick and tired of feeling fat and unhealthy :). We can do it!!!

20697813.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on January 1st. I decided to wait a few months before I attempted to add in healthy eating/exercise because I didn't want to take on too much at once. After 3 months I felt as though I had a good handle on the quitting smoking (I only socially smoked anyway so it wasn't a huge deal) and I added in the healthier diet/exercise.

I will say not smoking/drinking has *really* made it easier with following a healthier lifestyle. I don't wake up with a cough or feel gross from a night out. I'm hopeful this will lend to consistent weight loss.

Congrats on losing 41 pounds...that's so awesome!! Keep up the fantastic work :)
  • Shambrocker
    Options
    I'm also quitting all those things. I don't think the smoking will be too difficult because today I went to smoke and it made me feel awful. I only smoked 2 cigs today and chewed lots of nicotine gum. Stopping the drinking isn't too hard for me because I'm not as young as you. The hard part is not eating to fill the emptiness. I also need someone to get on my case about exercising. It's like I don't respect myself enough to change my bad habits but if someone I respect gets on my case about it then I do something about it. Kind of dumb but I think a lot of us need to have someone or a group to answer to. I'm hopping being a part of the MFP community will help me stay on track. Good luck to you. Wish I was still 28. LOL

18710568.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    hello im 28 and i quit smoking, drinking, and started dieting a couple of months ago. wondering if anyone has done the same out there? its super hard and i need some partners in misery.

It's pretty hardcore to quit smoking and drinking plus start dieting so well done for keeping it up. Even if you didn't diet, you'd probably see a decent loss of weight if you cut out the beer.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I did quit smoking- but it was years ago. I am about to cut down drinking to one night a week- which will be a bit of a change for me. It's hard because I have a lot of trouble sleeping, which is why I usually drink. I know it's hard to quit smoking without ruining your diet- when I quit I gained about ten pounds. It's hard not to replace the item you are craving with something else! But what do you do when you cut out everything???!!!

Trust me not drinking will probably be the hardest part of this because my friends are drinkers. It's going to take a lot of self control, but I am sick and tired of feeling fat and unhealthy :). We can do it!!!

20697813.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TRY MELETONIN - i quit smoking 40 days ago- COLD TURKEY. i cannot stay asleep to save my life. this stuff has seriously saved me. its all natural; and easy to come off of apparently, altho i havent tried that part yet, lol. an ill bet much better than using alcohol to put urself to sleep every night, lol.
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking the same day I started the beginning of my weight loss journey. It was very hard!
    I can say that within a month, I didn't even miss smoking and now the thought of starting up again, doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
    My breathing was so bad when I first started exercising, due to my size and how messed up my lungs were- that took awhile to get better. I had a bad cough for almost two months. It's amazing how willing your body is to forgive and repair itself.
    Now, I feel better than ever and am so thankful I gave up smoking as well as eating better and exercising.
    Yes, it's hard but it's so worth it :)
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey....I started my weight loss about a year ago, quit smoking a little over a month ago and started exercising consistently once I quit smoking. The exercise has helped me stay away from smoking a lot!! :) I also wore the patch for the first week I quit and that helped a lot too........or so I think.....my kids are still alive and healthy. :wink:
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I quit smoking about 2 weeks ago, cold turkey when I decided to lose weight , if I am going to lead a healthy lifestyle I am going to do it all the way , and now I can't sleep, hence I'm here, and I can't get melatonin in UK of the shelf.
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options
    awesome!!!! I quit drinking 5 years ago, but just quit smoking 2 months ago!! The best, yet hardest thing I have done so far!! It will get better with time. Just remember to BREATHE!!!! seriously breathe in and out slowly and deeply for a min or so. yae :D
  • thebigman19
    Options
    Well like i said.I quit smoking and drinking about three months ago. I forgot how much willpower I had in me. It wAs very bad the first months. I had mood swings and crazy bad depression. I also did not sleep well at all. This is much better. Now. it still is hard to train myself not to want a cig, during sertan times in the day, compared to even a month ago like 400 times better. I am currently on a cocktail of prescription vitimans because my bloodwork showed I was. Chronicly deficient in certain things. Since I started I have. Even reversed my high blood pressure, and surprisingly my alergies.
    I'm glad there is a lot of people doing the same. Oh and the $200 a month extra in my pocket is nice too
  • WVHeather
    WVHeather Posts: 53
    Options
    Good for you! Congratulations on your amazing willpower. I quit smoking about 6 months ago and immediately piled on more weight on top of what I already had. I also went through a period of drinking last summer to help me relax which I know caused me to gain even more. I was bloated and felt ugly and disgusting. Although I've only lost 13 pounds, my new lifestyle and looking forward to getting even healthier is my motivation. Good luck to you! You will find so much help here.