Nighttime Hunger

Options
All I want to do at night is eat & nighttime eating is what puts me over my daily calorie reccomendation. Why do I get so hungry at night? And does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do that now and then... usually when I haven't had enough protein in my lunch and/or dinner. I used to be a MAJOR night-time eater (icecream IN BED, anyone? :blushing: :sick: lol)

I try to snack on low cal stuff (baby carrots are my fav!), air-popped popcorn without the butter.... if you are feeling like you're so hungry you might not sleep well, try tuna or chicken - lean, low in cal's, high in protein. It works for me! :smile:
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    All I want to do at night is eat & nighttime eating is what puts me over my daily calorie reccomendation. Why do I get so hungry at night? And does anyone else experience this?

OHHHHH SNAPPPP!!! i KNOW your pain trust me!!! i can't offer you a solution because i still fight with myself on this, but i have learned a few tricks. drink a lot of water. and realize it's not that i'm hungry it's that im tired and my body wants more energy (food)

.s.
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    Could it be from habit? :indifferent: make sure you eat something satisfying earlier as part of your daily alotment. I like a bowl of oatmeal. :bigsmile: Have you cut out diet pop or pop in general? I've heard for years that it can make you feel hungry. My appetite has been more under control since I gave up diet pop in Jan. :wink:
    Part of getting going good on the diet is to break former habits. Brush your teeth, drink water and if that doesn't take care of it, I eat something like a whole cucumber plain. :blushing: Good luck. YOU CAN do it! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    That's what does most of us in, I think. It's so easy to be good all day, and then night time rolls around, and you're starving.
  • PeaceLoveMusicSn
    Options
    thank you guys i got alot of helpful advice...and feel free to keep posting more tips and tricks
  • Calif1971dreamin
    Calif1971dreamin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I've been there, got that t-shirt and am still there. I work nights and when I get off work at 11:30 pm I am starving. I've tried drinking water, but that doesn't work too well because then I have to pee all night instead of sleeping. I've tried eating low or no calorie foods and protein, but they don't satisfy my cravings for salt, crunch, or butter and starch. I tried eating the toast dry, but it is too dry and I choke on it. I've tried not eating, but then I toss and turn all night long dreaming about food. If this sounds familiar, then I live your pain too. Let me know if you find anything that works.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I find that if I'm not eating enough earlier in the day than I am starving at night. Start off your day w/ a good breakfast (100- 200 cals is NOT enough, I've seen so many posts about tiny breakfasts!). Try to eat regular meals/ snacks.

My rule is NO eating after 8PM (otherwise I will end up in the kitchen looking for something to eat!). If I'm feeling snacky, I make decaf green tea instead. From Jillian Michael's Master your Metabolism book, you should go to bed feeling slightly hungry (not starving) to help your body burn fat.
  • jrpeders
    Options
    It's called the night time "binge". I've been plagued with it, I'm sure we all have. If you log exactly what you've "binged" on I'm sure it would be close to 1000 calories. Chances are you aren't eating enough at BREAKFAST!

Load up those calories at the beginning of your day and make sure you eat plenty of fats and proteins at dinner time. Peanut Butter is a good alternative for dessert.
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    How about this...
    Whenever you feel the urge to eat, pour a tall glass of water and vent on MFP? It will keep you busy and that's what we're all here for-SUPPORT!!:bigsmile:
    You CAN overcome this, we all need a little support somewhere at some point
    ~M
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Am currently snacking on sweet yummy grapes to avoid more chocolate.

Eat more protein at dinner - even go over your calories a bit because of it - to eliminate going over your calories with sugar. Protein is far better.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Am currently snacking on sweet yummy grapes to avoid more chocolate.

Eat more protein at dinner - even go over your calories a bit because of it - to eliminate going over your calories with sugar. Protein is far better.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of behaving-no crap and late eve eating. I'm also I self proclaimed sugar addict. :grumble: So now, I eat maybe a fruit, or raw almonds, suck on a couple of sugar-free candies and drink water with crystal light. So far so good. Once I get through my "withdrawl"-haha, I'll start to slowly cut out the artificial sweetner stuff.:bigsmile: I'm feeling happy about it anyway. Start a challenge thread or something. I know there is a group already, but do another...I'll join. You shouln't eat 3 hours before sleep.:bigsmile: Brush your teeth.:bigsmile: