Hair Loss at 19!

Options
Its a huge problem, my dad has a hugely receding hairline and im so stressed right now, my hair's been continuously falling out more and more. Even people (family) are noticing and i can feel the hair in my temples almost barely now. its not that i think its alopecia, but more hair thinning. As a girl, i'm really worried about it, every time i shower SO MUCH HAIR :'( I don't think i have enough vitamins and things, though i always try and eat my share of vegetables. Being at university though, i can't always gaurantee that. I'm just hoping there are any remedies or things that will help, i'm going to see my doctor tomorrow hopefully and see if they can give anything, but any advice will be much appreciated.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Its a huge problem, my dad has a hugely receding hairline and im so stressed right now, my hair's been continuously falling out more and more. Even people (family) are noticing and i can feel the hair in my temples almost barely now. its not that i think its alopecia, but more hair thinning. As a girl, i'm really worried about it, every time i shower SO MUCH HAIR :'( I don't think i have enough vitamins and things, though i always try and eat my share of vegetables. Being at university though, i can't always gaurantee that. I'm just hoping there are any remedies or things that will help, i'm going to see my doctor tomorrow hopefully and see if they can give anything, but any advice will be much appreciated.

Can't see your diary to check your calories, but we have a few girls on here that went through this when they had very low calorie intakes.

I'm glad to say that they are now recovered so if it is as a result of the low calories, it is fixable.

Hopefully your doctor will be able to help you. Good luck.
  • DeserveIt
    Options
    I hope your doctor gave you some answers!

I am also a student and I find that if I am really stressed, I notice my hair thins out really bad. I find a Vitamin B complex (pick one higher in biotin) and keeping a steady amount of healthy protein in my diet helps.

Good Luck!
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    protein, higher calories, and biotin. my hair was falling out by the clumpfuls and i noticed the most improvement with biotin combined with the other two
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    There was another post about this recently. Iron was my issue. It thinned out all over, not in patches. I got a blood test at my doctor, started taking a cheap iron supplement and now I have a thick head of baby hairs mixed in and joke that I have a mullet (though I'm pretty sure nobody else notices it). Other people say use rogaine or take biotin. Simple thing would be get blood work done first. If everything is normal, try the other stuff.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who have posted.

Another tip is Nioxin. Nioxin is a fabulous hair product that works restore hair in situations like stress, pregnancy, cancer patients, etc. (not is situations of genetic baldness). There is a three party system = shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. You can buy Nioxin at the beauty store or on-line. It has saved me several times when my hair was falling out (in my case due to stress).
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this because I had a baby and am breastfeeding. In my situation, it's normal and will reverse itself once I stop breastfeeding and my hormones get back to their normal levels. But for now, it sucks. Massive wads of hair in the shower, tons falling out when I brush.

If I were you I would definitely get some blood work done, have your hormone levels checked, etc. to see if there's a problem.
  • Moonladee
    Moonladee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Biotin- Zinc also helps.. Are you getting enough protein?
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this issue for the last 6 months or so and finally my hair is actually starting to grow. I am low in iron so started taking iron supplements, added in a multi-vit and Biotin. It is very distressing. I also increased my calories by 500/ day and that is when I really started to see a difference in my hair and started losing weight again (until Easter that is!!)

Good luck. Go see your doc for blood work.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I went through a period of lots of hair loss, it turned out to be from an under functioning thyroid (Hypothyroidism). It would be a great idea to have your doctor do a blood test to make sure your thyroid is functioning properly, because if not, it affects so many areas of your wellness.
  • blankcanvas
    blankcanvas Posts: 177
    Options
    Have your thyroid checked!
  • dngortegae
    dngortegae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You are fine, you hair is healthy. I have the same hair problem and every time I have asked someone, they say it is healthy and that a typical person will lose about 100 hairs a day. I agree with you that I feel I should be bald because of all the hair I pull out after and in the shower.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    go see your doctor :)
    you're probably lacking certain vitamins
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get checked for PCOS. Two of my friends lost their hair because of this condition. It is treatable though and there are a ton of books on this. Good luck.
  • crimsonblueku
    Options

I had the same thing happen about a year and a half ago. I suddenly noticed that my once thick, curly hair felt about half it's weight and seemed to be less curly. I had blood work done by my PCP and Dermatologist, which all came back normal. I realized later that it was likely due to stress. The months leading up to when I actually noticed (Dec 2010) I was busy with a full-time job, going to school full-time (career change! yikes!), and trying to work out a few times a week. Though I wasn't tracking calories at the time, I'm pretty sure I wasn't eating enough (only managing about 1 real meal/day - not recommended)...I also lost about 10-15 pounds during that year (which I've unhappily gained back and am now trying to lose again). I've heard it takes about 6 months between a stressful event and when you notice the associated hair loss, so maybe something that stressed you out last year is the cause?

I'm now finished with school, eating better and drinking more water, and taking Biotin plus a Hair, Skin, Nail vitamin. The vitamins aren't daily, just when I remember to take them. My hair still isn't as thick as it once was, but I am noticing new hair growth and it does feel better/slightly thicker. Hang in there, don't stress over it!, and try to find ways to relax and reduce your stress as much as possible. And definitely check with your doctor in case you do have an underlying medical problem. Might also be a good idea to ask your doctor for vitamin/supplement recommendations, so you are getting the right nutrients.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There was another post about this recently. Iron was my issue. It thinned out all over, not in patches. I got a blood test at my doctor, started taking a cheap iron supplement and now I have a thick head of baby hairs mixed in and joke that I have a mullet (though I'm pretty sure nobody else notices it). Other people say use rogaine or take biotin. Simple thing would be get blood work done first. If everything is normal, try the other stuff.

I also had low iron, and getting it straightened out made me stop shedding like a cat in the spring. For 2 months, it was coming out in clumps on my pillow, my brush and the shower. I always shed hair more than others, but it was absurd. I was convinced it was all going to fall out. Now, it is back to normal amounts of shedding and no more being afraid to wash it, because I hated seeing clumps.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Its a huge problem, my dad has a hugely receding hairline
    I don't think girls get male pattern baldness.