Frustrated with lack of weight loss

Options
I am currently eating 1400-1500 calories a day which is my BMR. I am running for 30 mins a couple of times a week (when I can basically) and doing pilates once a week. Other than that I look after 3 small children so although I am doing stuff I don't think it's incredibly active. I've lost 3.5 stones since I had my last baby a year ago but I just can't shift the last 10lbs. I have a small frame, am 5'6" and weigh 134lbs. Which on paper looks ok but my steady weight (from before kids) would be 7lbs lighter than this, and I weighed even less than that in my 20s, around 120lbs (which ideally I would like to be again). So in the last 2 weeks I have gained 1lb. Prior to that I have been losing about 0.5lbs a week, a figure which also seems not enough for the amount of effort I am putting in. I have cut out most grains/sugar (ok I do slip occassionally but not often). I am just so p*ssed off with the whole thing, I'm starting to wonder what is the point??? I have a disproportionate tyre around my middle, my jeans are a size 8 but I have to wear a size 16 top to cover my belly. I'm so fed up. What am I missing??? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Replies

• acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to respond to a post like this in a specific way. 3.5 stones is a fantastic loss which you must be delighted with. I lost 2stone last year without MFP and promptly put a stone back on again when I lost interest in a diet towards the back end of the year. I now prefer to think in terms of changing my diet as opposed to being on a diet. It's a subtle difference but mentally one is sustainable and the other isn't.
    In terms of answering your question then I can only share what has worked/is working for me.

I had a sustained plateau for a month or more after a loss of only 3lbs.. Previously I would definitely given up but this time I understand what's going on a little bit better. I was eating too little (check out my diary from February). Now I have been eating just a little bit below my calculated TDEE and the weight has started to shift again. It's early days but I'm genuinely thinking that I have found something that works for the first time in my life. Any previous weight loss was just pure dumb luck.

Hang in there and best of luck

Ian
  • mercurymumof3
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply. I guess I just need to keep going. It makes me so despondent though :(
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    What are you missing? For one, if your BMR is 1500, you should be eating more than 1500 - do you eat back your exercise calories at all? Secondly, strength training - use weights. I don't actually know what Pilates is, but it doesn't sound like pumping iron to me. It sounds more like yoga with accessories, judging by the name and how I've seen Pilates Balls for sale in stores.
  • mercurymumof3
    Options
    Pilates is muscle toning rather than fat burning exercise. I don't eat back my exercise calories unless I am really hungry, I don't exercise every day anyway so it doesn't seem like much. I thought the average person should be consuming 2000 calories a day, surely I have to make a defecit if I want to lose weight? I was thinking I am maybe still eating too much??
  • mercurymumof3
    Options
    OK I just recalculated my bmr as I hadn't taken into account the weight I had lost, it is now 1350 calories. So if I am eating 1500 a day is that too much or too little?? Apparently my daily calorie requirements to maintain weight is 1850. Totally confused.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    to avoid those issues i just eat at the maintenance calories for my goal weight and activity level. i just manually input my calorie goal (which is like 600 more than what MFP calculated for me) and dont worry about eating back my calories.

i pretty much just eat according to my hunger. most days i'm right around my 1850 calorie goal, some days i'm below it and other days i'm over.

calorie deficiency will help with weight loss, but if you want to lose fat (ie the tire around the belly) you really need to exercise and weight train.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating 1400-1500 calories a day which is my BMR. I am running for 30 mins a couple of times a week (when I can basically) and doing pilates once a week. Other than that I look after 3 small children so although I am doing stuff I don't think it's incredibly active. I've lost 3.5 stones since I had my last baby a year ago but I just can't shift the last 10lbs. I have a small frame, am 5'6" and weigh 134lbs. Which on paper looks ok but my steady weight (from before kids) would be 7lbs lighter than this, and I weighed even less than that in my 20s, around 120lbs (which ideally I would like to be again). So in the last 2 weeks I have gained 1lb. Prior to that I have been losing about 0.5lbs a week, a figure which also seems not enough for the amount of effort I am putting in. I have cut out most grains/sugar (ok I do slip occassionally but not often). I am just so p*ssed off with the whole thing, I'm starting to wonder what is the point??? I have a disproportionate tyre around my middle, my jeans are a size 8 but I have to wear a size 16 top to cover my belly. I'm so fed up. What am I missing??? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Wow - 3.5 stone is brilliant - well done!

As you get closer to goal, you will find it harder as your body doesn't like to get rid of those last few lbs.

With only 10lb to go, you should be aiming for about 0.5lb per week

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

The post from meshashesha20 makes perfect sense, as you won't have to worry about switching to maintenance calories.

Work out your fat % http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    then pop the info in here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Good luck :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far, you've done a great job! I think the key thing here is that, like you say, your stats look good on paper. You are a healthy weight for your height. The less body fat you have, the slower it does come off. You should be aiming for 0.5 lbs a week at the most.

The figure of 2000 is a bit of a generalised one and won't be the same for everyone. It sounds like your estimated TDEE is 1850, so that's the number you need to create a deficit from, but at the weight you are now, it should be a very small deficit, like maybe a couple of hundred. I know it's frustrating as hell to see the weight come off so slowly when you're putting in loads of effort, but unfortunately that's how it goes when you're so close to goal.

This is a really good thread about working out how many calories to consume: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

I would definitely second the recommendation for strength training. Without strength training, most people lose muscle mass as they lose weight (even with strength training, but that minimises it). As people get older, they naturally lose muscle mass if they're not training them. That's one reason why people gradually put on weight as they get older. It will be hard for you to get down to the weight you were many years ago, but if you can maintain what lean body mass you have, it will help. Strength training, and a small calorie deficit (eat your exercise calories!) will help to make sure you're only losing fat, not muscle.

When you're so close to goal weight, it can also be helpful to not worry so much about the numbers on the scale, and look more at body composition and body fat percentage. If you could build a little muscle and lose a bit more fat you might weigh the same, but look and feel better, Check this thread out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
  • mercurymumof3
    Options
    Wow thanks for the great answers! That all makes great sense, off to look at those links now.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you have done an absolutely amazing job losing that amount of weight! Secondly, losing that amount of weight was the whole point, this last 7lbs you have to lose is being a bugger to shift, the vast majority of the time when people lose weight this happens.

Continue to stick to your eating plan, ensure you still log everything and continue doing your exercise - because let's say you were now at your goal weight, would you discontinue your exercise and go right back to eating crap? If you did, you would put the weight back on so I highly suspect you would stick to your newfound information regarding your eating and exercise, therefore, there is no problem, that 7lbs will eventually shift.

However, at the moment, you just continue as you have been doing and I would bet that if you just relaxed, that last little bit would shift and before you knew it you would be at your goal weight.

Out of interest, do you know your bodyfat percentage? You may not have that much fat to burn off now, hence the slow down in loss.

Regarding your belly, for now, would it be possible to purchase some support underwear, I have done that in the past and it meant the difference between my belly hanging over or appearing taut which was very good when I would go out for the evening.

http://www.themagicknickershop.co.uk/

I suspect you could order off Amazon and the like.
  • mercurymumof3
    Options
    Thank you. I just calculated my body fat which came out at 33%. To aim for 26% body fat I would need to lose another 13lbs which seems reasonable to me, I am not huge but there is excessive tummy fat there. I imagine I will have to lose quite a bit from all over to shift those last few lbs of tummy fat. What body fat percentage should I be aiming for? The calculator I looked at said between 21-33% Which seems like quite a wide variable. I am 39.
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way and we are about the same height/weight! I used to weigh about 120-123 but after a hysterectomy put on some weight that won't seem to come off! I am under my calorie goal most days and still my darn jeans are too tight! Keep it up...we will get there!