Are you very overweight and need support on exercising?

Options
I know I do. I am close to 85 lbs overweight and need support to exercise along with ideas of things that are good for me to do. All the programs out seem to be for young, fit, or slightly overweight. I was doing very well and let it pretty much go. I want to feel good again and still have time and energy to take care of myself and my family.

Replies

• davekush
    Options
    It doesn't have to be real intense or complicated if you are patient.

Keep your heart rate low and do an hour of cardio a day. You want to work, but at a pace where you can still hold a conversation with somebody (zones 2 and 3). Most people hit those programs hard and hit a wall. when your heartrate gets too high, you burn sugar and muscle instead of fat. That's the opposite of what you want to do.

The best thing I can recomend you do is get a heart rate monitor (the ones built into machines aren't that good, don't trust them).

It will help to incorporate basic strength training, but if you eat right and do your cardio, that's all you need to get going. You'll see results (probably on the scale before the mirror) over the course of weeks and that will help you build your motivation. I started at 210 and was over 30% body fat. limiting myself to 2000 calories (which this site is awesome for) and 1 hour of cardio a day, everyday, I'm down 8% body fat and about 45 pounds lighter.

Programs can be cool and they mostly function as a "plug and play" system that doesn't require a lot of thought and keep things fresh. But getting on the bike or eliptical an hour a day will get results if you keep food under control. You can do it--Just stick with it long enough...
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    I started out at 81 lbs overweight. I bought a Total Trainer with Pilates. It's similar to a Total Gym but cheaper, and has Pilates accessories. It came with exercise routine cards. I started with the beginner routine and thought I was going to die! REALLY! I pushed myself every day, and it wasn't easy. I made sure no one was around when I worked out because I was so klutzy getting into position, etc. That was in February. I have faithfully worked out at least 5 days a week - usually 6 or 7. Some days I do the Pilates only, other days I do the Pilates and a strength training with cardio, some days I do the Pilates and cardio and leave off the strength training. It has helped tremendously. I feel more graceful, everything is toned, and I look pretty darn good even though I still have about 24 lbs to go. Went from a size 20+ (never bought 22's so the 20's were TIGHT!) and am now wearing size 10 jeans (not since elementary school!) that are starting to get lose. It is hard, but it's worth it. Try to set aside a time that you do whatever exercise you choose. I started doing mine late at night after everyone was in bed at first, and now I am usually doing my big workout during my granddaughter's nap (used to nap when she did, now don't need the nap nearly as often) and my Pilates in the evening. There really isn't an easy was to get started, you just have to start and find the determination to keep going. You will see results fairly quickly though. I could see toned abs under the layer of fat on my belly within about 6 weeks. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I am over 100lbs overweight for my height and I have found that Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds is a really good way to exercise without overexertion. I have had trouble with most workout DVD's but I really enjoy hers. Her DVD's are based on walking moves and she tells you if a move is to hard to go back to walking. I love her as she is very motivating within her workouts. She is a Christian based aerobics instructor out of Pennsylvania. Hope this helps. With using her tapes I can do anywhere from 4 miles to 6 miles a day. I started out doing 1 - 2. Now my routine is to do 2 miles when I wake up....the I walk my dog twice a day for a mile each time, then a mile workout after dinner. On the days I am feeling really energetic I will do a 4 mile workout dvd in the morning and then walk my dog twice a day. Just to know of some other options. A lot of times you can get the workouts at your local library to try out before you buy. Otherwise Target, Walmart, and Kmart all carry her workout tapes for around 10 dollars.

Hope this helps!! You can message me if you have any questions....
    I started at 297 doing her workout tapes and now I am down to 249. I am also on an oral steroid which makes it difficult to lose weight so I am slow at losing but becoming health as I do. Prevention has some walking dvd's to that are fairly low impact that are good. Just start out slow if all you can do is five minutes or even 2 then that is a start you will eventually build up.
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!!! It's so easy to gain the weight but so hard to take it off.
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the imput. I get really turned off by the too hard to do cardios or the sexy big boob girls who don't need to lose an inch. I think that's why I like the biggest loser. They are real people. The only problem with that is I have a family and life to do. A six and 11 year old.

I have the Leslie Sansome stuff on demand. I just didn't know if that really worked. Seems so simple. What does walking in place actually do? Thanks, kc
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! My one tip is to measure everything and keep track of measurements. If your body ends up working like mine, I have been shrinking in size but not losing any pounds yet. You can do it!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I third the Leslie Sansone. I have 2 of her DVD and they are great. I also like taebo. He always says you don't have to kick high you are still working out hard. Also get a good beginner weight training DVD like Denise Austin or Kathy Smith. I have a treadmill also that comes in handy because I can make myself stop whatever I am doing and go walk briskly for 10-15 minutes.
  • katznketo
    Options
    all great ideas, thanks. Keep'm coming. I'm really taking notes.

What is your favorite healthy and easy dinner to make yourself?
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    I have/had more than 50 lbs to loose.

I have had back surgery & have a bursa on my right heel:sad: . I can only ride my incumbent bicycle while I watch TV or read.

I've lost 11 lbs now very slowly but have lost inches as well. I ride between 30 to 60 minutes a day. I'm in physical therepy & was told to position my heel on the pedal on my heel to avoid further injury. I would swim but I have eczema.

I very limited but my weight loss is still working (slowly) No walks allowed for me either due to my swollen heel.

So the message here is that it is doable at any level.:heart::flowerforyou: Good Luck -you'll find something that works for you.:drinker:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    all great ideas, thanks. Keep'm coming. I'm really taking notes.

What is your favorite healthy and easy dinner to make yourself?

For me...I love BBQ Chicken with Steamed Broccoli & Big Green Salad with lots of veggies topped with Basalmic Vingerette dressing (Newmans Own light 45C):bigsmile:
  • katznketo
    Options
    Thanks for helping me not make excuses. I'm getting up to do the walk on video. Going to bed now. I am so glad I'm back on this site. My connections with you all has got me excited again about reaching my goal. Yes! it's all doable.:happy:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone is a Great workout. And it can be done in a small area like the bedroom or dining room. It is much more intensse than just "Walking In Place".

I don't like to walk outside because of the weather, dogs, cars, etc. But I go to Wal-Mart 2-3 times a week and put arround 100-120 pounds of Kitty Litter in my basket and walk through the store for 30-45 minutes. That will work your legs and arms, especially if you go on the carpeted areas.

Goood Luck. You will meet your goals one step at a time.
  • katznketo
    Options
    Well, I got up this morn to do the Leslie thing but my friend called so I put on my blue tooth and walked around the complex. I managed to get my exercise and my spirit super charged by my friend who lives in New Jersey and is a might prayer warrior and Bible devourer.

Tuesday is coming. What is Tuesday? It's the day that the kids start school and I get to go to the YMCA or walk for a very long walk. I just can't wait!:love::laugh: :happy: :noway: :tongue: :smile:

Okay, I gotta calm down.

Be blessed . I know I am to have these two little darlings. I just need a small break. Soon I'll probably miss them. Or...
    Maybe not.:laugh:
    God bless.