Protein limits?

Options
I tend to be eating a lot more protein these days and usually eat 3 or 4 times the recommended amount (including my protein shake snacks). Is there such thing as too much protein? and what would be the effects?
~Sherry~

Replies

• sherrymize
    Options
    I tend to be eating a lot more protein these days and usually eat 3 or 4 times the recommended amount (including my protein shake snacks). Is there such thing as too much protein? and what would be the effects?
    ~Sherry~
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Unused protein is stored by the body as fat. So your intake depends totally on your individual needs. If you are doing a lot of strength training you will need a lot of protein.... if you're not, well I've always been told to stay away from protein shakes and bars, they are for people who NEED the extra protein.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agree....too much protein causes your kidneys to work harder and can actually harm them. Try to eat less, and stick to what MFP says.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Unused protein is stored by the body as fat. So your intake depends totally on your individual needs. If you are doing a lot of strength training you will need a lot of protein.... if you're not, well I've always been told to stay away from protein shakes and bars, they are for people who NEED the extra protein.

Not just protein...anything is stored as fat, but only if you're in a caloric excess. Just because I take in 35% of my calories doesn't mean I automatically gain fat. There's no reason to avoid shakes or bars to supplement protein intake, although some bars are very high in sugar and are really just glorified candy bars. 1 gram of protein per Lb of body weight is recommended for highly active athletes, but for a normal exercise program, about .5 per lb of bodyweight or .8g per kg of bodyweight is fine. If you eat more than the 15% recommended, you're safe. You won't see health problems unless you're dehydrated, have a pre-existing kidney condition, or are eating so much protein that you don't have room left for adequate carbohydrates and fats.
  • sherrymize
    Options
    So what you're saying is that as long as I am staying at my required caloric intake and am eating enough fiber, protein, carbs, etc., the extra protein shouldn't turn to fat? I am trying to stay away from fat and sugar as much as possible (still ok in range). I am using the shakes to reach my caloric requirements and to give me more energy during the day.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is that as long as I am staying at my required caloric intake and am eating enough fiber, protein, carbs, etc., the extra protein shouldn't turn to fat? I am trying to stay away from fat and sugar as much as possible (still ok in range). I am using the shakes to reach my caloric requirements and to give me more energy during the day.

No nutrient will automatically turn to fat...you have to overeat to promote fat gain. :smile: Fat doesn't make you fat either, so there's no reason to fear eating it. High GI sugars, like table sugar, are good to avoid since they cause huge spikes in your blood sugar and insulin, and chronically high insulin can cause diabetes. Sugars that are found in dairy and most fruit are low GI though, so they don't have the same effect on sugar. There's no reason to avoid one thing entirely, just understand what each nutrient will do to your body and you can decide what to eat when. :flowerforyou: