need new ideas for lunch

Options
Selah37
Selah37 Posts: 32 Member
I'm new here and just starting out counting calories. I would love some lunch ideas. I've always pretty much just eaten sandwiches. I'm on a very tight budget so I can't cook super fancy three times a day but and ideas would be great. Bread seems to be so high in calories.

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I"m lazy, I just eat a head of lettuce chopped up with some lunch meat on it.
    Some days when I get wild and crazy I might add other vegetables to it.

Greek yogurt+frozen berries+blender=smoothie
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    i eat lots of salads and fresh veggies throughout the day (carrots, celery, broccolli...) and in the mornings, i have fruit or a special k 90 cal cereal bar, which are good with lots of different ones to choose from. I still eat sandwhiches too, turkey with light mayo on wheat or rye bread, its not a bad thing...just whatch your carbs. I also munch on grapes throughout the day. Its pretty easy and not too much prep to throw a lunch together, it depends on what you like to eat, then try to modify it so you are getting the right amount of calories...
  • leamj87
    leamj87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also am a BIG fan of sandwiches for lunch, and the bread thing always kills me. HOWEVER, the two options I usually take is Pepperidge Farm's carbstyle bread, which is 60 calories a slice, meaning 120 per sandwich. I also just picked up the Flatout Spinach Wrap which is 90 calories for the whole wrap. It's thicker than I usually think of wraps, almost like Naan, but I really like it.

I also do 98% fat free turkey lunch meat (although I splurge on cheese, because I can't do lowfat cheese without gagging.) With a little bit of mustard and some lettuce, my sandwich usually comes to about 215 calories, which I don't think is that bad for lunch!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am on a tight budget too and have to take lunches to work to a) save money and b) because there is nothing else!
    Yesterday i roasted a chicken and intend to use the leftovers to make a soup/salad/chicken pasta/casserole all of which would make it to work in a tupperware with me. I bought a big bag of potatoes and baked a few whilst the chicken was roasting, i reheated it today (much better than being nuked in the microwave from the beginning) and had it with some ham and some salad. I also eat my potatoes with chicken pieces, smoked sausages, baked beans, light cheese, vegetables and gravy.
    If i am having stew or chilli or something that i have made one evening for dinner then i try to put more veg in to make it stretch further so i have some for my lunch.
    I also buy cheap sausages and cook them the night before and have them with cous cous and mushrooms or something. Not very inspiring but ticks the boxes! My mum makes a lovely cous cous salad with chopped tomatoes, spring onions, cucumber and feta cheese. You could also make a potato salad with light mayo and add whatever you like.
    I found some Sandwhich Thins in Asda for £1 by Warburtons (i think) and they are 100 cals for the whole bun. I'll be testing one out tomorrow!

Anyway, hope that helps! I found that once i stopped thinking about sandwhiches and salads i got better at bringing more interesting things for lunch!
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Soup! So cheap and so easy to make with whatever you happen to have in the fridge.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread, just sandwich innards. I will take in a few pieces of lean lunch meat, a slice of cheese, a few pieces of cut up veggies and some fresh fruit. I also will have an occasional bowl of tomato and basil soup I buy at Giant Eagle.

I like the tuna packets and have had a couple of those recently.

There's also baked potato with cheese and broccoli.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I get a big tub of organic spring mix at sam's club for $5-6 that lasts quite a while. Veggies usually from aldi because they're so much cheaper. Throw a few slices of a rotisserie chicken, also from sam's, on there with some lowfat shredded cheddar and top with bbq sauce! It's realllllyyyyy yummy!
    I got the idea from panera's bbq chicken salad.

I also use a can of tuna, a little mayo to hold it together plus some yellow mustard, onion powder, garlic & herb salt free seasoning, and black pepper for tuna salad and pair it with some wheat crackers and maybe a string cheese of piece of fruit.
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Soup all the way!

I'm lucky enough to live near a fruit and veg market and the vegetables are soooo cheap. I make a big batch of soup at the weekend, freeze some and take the rest to work. For about £4 I can make about 8 portions. 50p lunch? yes please!
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I rotate between sandwiches, salads, and soups.
    I eat 100% wheat bread and turkey with lettuce & tomatoes
    Salad with lots of veggies, light spray of dressing or a little either fat-free or low-cal dressing
    Progresso soups are low in caloties and fat.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/progresso-soup

If I go out, I treat myself to Subway
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of soups. Homemade with lots of veggies and sometimes chicken or small amounts of beef. I try to eliminate or at least minimize the high-carb veggies like peas, corn and potatoes though. I make large pots of it and eat it for lunch and as a snack.
  • katymn
    katymn Posts: 1
    Options
    I found a lot of great ideas on skinnytaste.com

To save money, try beans or quinoa instead of meat
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, turkey bacon, and yogurt...yummy!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    devilled eggs.. nom nom nom nom
  • RenoDaret
    Options
    brown rice and a can of tuna. NUFF SAID
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Wheat pasta with gilled veggies, grilled protien, and sauce (use what ever kind you like just a little to give some flavor).
    1/2 a baked potato and spoon over lentil soup and little cheese.
    brown rice with lentils and black beans. You can add anything you like for flavor.
    Leftovers from dinner - Stir frys, spaghetti, etc

I usually plan it out for the week and cook my weeks worth of food on Sunday so my week is just grab and go.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Also, flavoured tuna (spicy chili.. DAMN THAT STUFF IS GOOD!) and whole wheat crackers.
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    I had a big pack of whole wheat lavash (sandwich wraps) in my freezer forever, so one day I tried making a flatbread pizza with random parts of veggies I needed to use up as well. It was really good! I was doubly surprised to find out that it reheats fine in the microwave for a great lunch idea. Here's how I do it,

Spray one side of the lavash with cooking spray and pop it under the broiler on 375. Watch for it to start to puff up and lightly brown, remove. About 4 min.

Turn it over, apply a light coating of your favorite sauce - I spice up spaghetti sauce (another leftover) with crushed red pepper and garlic. Add a VERY LIGHT amount of thin sliced veggies of your choice (too heavy will get soggy) and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

Broil again just until the cheese is melted, about 3-4 min.

My lavash are huge, so I get 6 pieces of pizza out of one. Let cool, wrap, refrigerate, and reheat in the micro for 45 sec. Depending on your toppings a whole pizza is around 400 calories.

I'd love to hear what you think if you try it :)
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I like Bird's Eye Steamed Rice. Half of one package is a serving. If you add some steamed vegetables on top and have a little bit of (optional): tofu <--this can be diced and sautéed then used in various yummy dishes, tiny bit of soy sauce or teriyaki sauce--myself I prefer teriyaki, you've got a pretty low-sodium, calorie, and healthy meal!

Or there's always tortilla pizza. I leave out the pizza sauce because I like to slice tomatoes on top and I put a minimal amount of cheese on (I like to season this with basil), and adding some sliced mushrooms from the grocery aisle is never a bad thing either! You can spice up the toppings, too. I've thought about adding spinach (I just wish it came in smaller packages!) The pizza can be cooked in a skillet so it's more crispy (use medium heat and be sure to check under every so often so it doesn't burn) or it can be microwaved. :) Hope these help!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to any of my lunch ideas posted on my MFP blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RillSoji

or my menu blog:
    http://www.rillsmenu.com/
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Arnold 100 calorie sandwich thins, 2 slices 98 fat free turkey breast 1 wedge laughing cow cheese. Low cal and yummy.