Calve cramps running only after lifting?

Options
jamfan
jamfan Posts: 124 Member
So I'm pretty active & get in a mix of resistance & cardio workouts during the week. I lift pretty heavy & a session usually lasts about 45 mins w/ no half-assin around, and I follow a three day a week split plan. My cardio has been 2x a week doing interval running & 1x a week doing steady state (generally a treadmill 5K).

So even if I do an upper body resistance workout if I follow it up w/ a run my legs (calves) cramp up usually within half a mile. This is never the case on non-lifting days. I don't understand why I tend to cramp doing an activity that I do regularly but only if I double up on workouts. Any Ideas?

Replies

• jamfan
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's possible you are losing more electrolytes than usual during your lifting days causing you to cramp later when you run. Try replenishing your electrolytes before you run.
  • jamfan
    Options
    I do get my sweat going while lifting but not like I do w/ cardio. I can get a G2 Gatorade but would there be anything I'd use that would be better? How fast does this work?
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Bananas and potatoes! :)
  • cherryolac
    Options
    Make sure you are getting plenty of water and potassium before and during your work out. Losing potassium and sodium will call you to have muscle cramps.
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do get my sweat going while lifting but not like I do w/ cardio. I can get a G2 Gatorade but would there be anything I'd use that would be better? How fast does this work?

Absorption of electrolyte drinks is quite fast once it reaches the small intestine, although I don't have the numbers for you. The glucose included in this type of drinks are not actually for extra calories nor for the taste (well at least originally), but they help transport the sodium from the gut to the bloodstream. Without the glucose, sodium cannot be absorbed.

Salt tablets alone will not work well, because as mentioned you need the glucose for sodium absorption. Oral Rehydration Solution will work much better, but I doubt if you can stand the taste :-)
  • jamfan
    Options
    I eat a banana w/ PB (natural w/ salt) every morning for breakfast. I do tend to stay away from potatoes but eat some here & there.

I guess It could be a hydration issue but this has been a common occurence. I generally don't drink much during my resistance training other than an occasional trip to the water fountain. I thought as I got into better shape the cramps on double workout days would pass but they haven't

Does the full blown gatorade work better than the low calorie G2 alternative because of the sugar?" I would prefer not to waste the calories on sugar water.