Diet/Weight loss supplements - Opinions??

Options
Okay, I know this is a very controversial subject but I really need everyone's opinions on diet and weight loss pills, powders, etc.

Replies

• FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know this is a very controversial subject but I really need everyone's opinions on diet and weight loss pills, powders, etc.

If you're seriously considering weight loss pills, I'd suggest going to your doctor and getting their recommendation. I would only trust diet pills under doctor supervision. Most pills/supplements out there are either ineffective and a waste of time/money, or possibly dangerous.

Years ago, my doctor put me on phentermine and I lost a good amount of weight on it. Keep in mind though, that a lot of people gain the weight back once they go off appetite suppressants. It took me a good year/year and a half to gain back the 25 pounds I had lost, but it still came back. Phentermine has some nasty side effects as well. After a scary trip to the emergency room with high blood pressure and chest pains, I stopped taking them. They never said it was the pills, but once I stopped taking them, I felt better....less jittery and anxious.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I personally don't take any over the counter weight loss pills because they make me jittery and angry at times.

I have however been to weight management and they gave me a prescription for Phentermine. It worked wonders for me. I was able to get myself in the habit of eating when I was only hungry and not just bored, depressed, etc. It stuck with me to this day.

The weight management clinic was $150 every two weeks and I had a cut in pay so I could no longer go. I can tell you that the script for the Phentermine only cost me $20 to fill. Your primary care doctor can prescribe them and if you have insurance it would be relativity cheap.

I honestly think taking any type of weight loss aid in excess probably does more harm then good, especially to your cardiovascular system. I would give it a try, if for nothing, at least to give yourself a great jump start. Just be careful.

Best of luck! :)
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it the natural way, up your Vit C intake and protein intake a day. If working out you should have about 112g of protein a day. MFP places it low for some reason. Also, I had blood work done at the doc and found out my vit D was low so I'm taking 3000 IU of Vit D daily, as well as a B12 complex and fish oil (since I dont eat fish). Also, I take a multivitamin/multi mineral daily because when dieting usually you don't get all your daily vitamins
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've done them in the past and have discovered a few things that alarmed me:

1) My heart shouldn't be racing when I am just sitting at my desk. I mean, it literally felt like it was about to pop out of my chest.
    2) Despite keeping my healthy eating and work out regime, I gained a lot of the weight back.
    3) A lot of it was water weight...
  • paula29102
    paula29102 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a physician weight loss program that uses phentermine as one of the tools to help lose weight. I am only given a 7 day supply at a time to make sure I am eating properly and doing this the correct way. My physician will only give these for I believe it is 20 weeks. As I am told weekly it is a tool to help obtain better eating habits. I am given a vitamin B-12 shot every week which is what I believe takes away some of those BAD side effects others have talked about. I told this drug many years ago and had the same feeling of anxiety, heart racing, jittery and very horrible moods but since I have been taking it this time with the B12 I have not felt any of those. It is not for eveyone but it has helped me take off over 25 pounds in 7 weeks.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't like them for several reasons, but the main one is that at some point you need to learn to eat like a normal person without taking caffeine pills or whatever the diet pill du jour contains. You can chomp on diet pills daily, you can do the Slim Fast thing, the Special K diet, or whatever...but at the end of the day, you still haven't learned how to eat healthy foods in moderate portions.

Until someone learns how to eat real food on a daily basis, I think they will always struggle with their weight. In my opinion, it is easier to start learning sooner rather than later.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If there was a magic pill, then everyone would be skinny while eating what they like and the word "diet" would not be in our vocabulary
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    The majority of them are 200mg of caffeine.

So I don't really suggest using them to most normal people.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My experience of weight loss pills (chemically proven rather than berrys that do nothing) is that you tend to gain back what you miraculously lost and long term only see the loss from genuine calorie reduction like you never taken it

The less scientific ones tend to mess with water content in the body in my opinion
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    All youll need is a Fish Oil or Omega 3,6,9 pill.
    Whey Protein isolate of a higher quality, Optimum nutrition is the best IMO.
    A good Multivitamin.

If you work out fasted you could take BCAAs but thats just if you are working out and fasting.
  • JacqueBackhus
    Options
    I have tried every diet pill there is... that are over the counter.
    However, NONE of them worked. Then a friend of mine introduced me to Body By Vi and the 90 day challenge last July. It's about nutrition, not about a diet. Once my body was getting the nutrition I needed, I started logging on here, and I started exercising I felt amazing!!!!! I think the important thing is that your aware of what your eating and your making HEALTHY choices, as much as you can. Sure, I cheat, sure I don't exercise some days. But MOST days I remember that this is about my health.... not about being skinny or losing weight.
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    i took dr prescribed diet pills years ago, they did help me lose quite a bit of weight but only because i wasnt hungry while taking them. when i stopped, i gained all the weight back and then some because i was just using the pills and not changing the way i ate. i have been watching what i eat and have been exercising for two years now and havent lost much weight (at least not as much as i think i should have) and have been thinking about going to this weight loss clinic here and seeing if it would make a difference now that i have a healthier eating/exercise routine. havent made up my mind just yet. i wonder if it would help me with the cravings that i have, especially at night.