Clothes shoping (Women only please)

Options
Cindym82
Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
So I feel like I have finally hit the age where I'm inbetween clothing "depts" per say or that I'm in denial that I have to cross over. Finally turning 30 this year and I feel like the women's dept is too "old" for me yet the jr's dept just doesn't fit right. Aparently when you're a "jr" you don't have hips or a butt. Any suggestions on places to shot to buy shorts and summer clothes? Going away in 23 days and need some outfits. Plus I haven't shopped for myself in awhile. PS, I'm short. lol

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    JCPenney, Macy's, Kohl's. They are all great stores, plus they have cute clothes in the women's department, sometimes I see a cute shirt and I can't wait to cross over!
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Haven't tried macy's or jcPenny's in years!! Good idea though :) thank you
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    No problem :) They have definitely changed their style of clothing, in the women's section there are "cool" clothes and clothes for the women that want to dress older. Our JCPenney's just got remodeled, because they are working on lowering the prices, so the first and third friday of every month they have sales on certain clothes and mark them all down to $2.97, jeans, shirts, anything. I would look into at at your JCPenneys...such a great deal!
  • Cindym82
    Options
    omg that is great news!! I need to mark my calendar than :)
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like Limited and New York & Co. They are kind of pricey if you are in the middle of losing weight, but if you hit their sales or get their coupons it makes their clothing more reasonable.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada, so not sure if these stores could work for you depending on whee you are in the world. I'm 33 and I like "classic" clothes. For work, mostly Mex, but for everyday (weekends) and sometimes even a cute top for work, SmartSet works for me.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    New York and Company and Limited also. But I second the JCPenney, Macy's, Kohls thing too. I'm 33 and I gave up on Jr's in high school. I've always had hips, a butt and large boobs and nothing there has really ever worked.

Specifically, I like the Apt. 9 brand @ Kohls and the Ana @ JCPenney's. Oh, sizing wise too. I'm a 6/8 in womens and an 9/11 in Jr's right now, so keep in mind there is a large jump down in Ladies opposed to Jr's. Have a ball, I know I did this weekend!
  • Cindym82
    Options
    New York and Company and Limited also. But I second the JCPenney, Macy's, Kohls thing too. I'm 33 and I gave up on Jr's in high school. I've always had hips, a butt and large boobs and nothing there has really ever worked.

Specifically, I like the Apt. 9 brand @ Kohls and the Ana @ JCPenney's. Oh, sizing wise too. I'm a 6/8 in womens and an 9/11 in Jr's right now, so keep in mind there is a large jump down in Ladies opposed to Jr's. Have a ball, I know I did this weekend!

I used to shop NY & CO awhile ago and then I gained some weight and nothing fit right. Now it's been about 20lbs since I last tried them so maybe I should look there also. Good to know the size difference. I bought a size 9 jeans from express and yesterday I felt like a whale when I tried something on at walmart. A size 13 didn't fit and it just pushed my tummy fat up and over. Needless to say I walked out and didn't try anything else on. And my boyfriend kept asking if I was sure I didn't want to look at work out stuff or anything. I think he knew I was upset.

And I do have a coupon for express.....anyone shop there resently?? I know they're pricey but maybe it's worth it? Clothes shoping is NOT my fav thing to do :(
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I super duper narrow in the hips so all the jr stuff fits me better...but I worked at the gap for years...most thier stuff never fit me quite right but their styles are cute and cut slightly more womanly...j crew as well!
  • Cindym82
    Options
    I super duper narrow in the hips so all the jr stuff fits me better...but I worked at the gap for years...most thier stuff never fit me quite right but their styles are cute and cut slightly more womanly...j crew as well!

I never shoped at J Crew before, are they pricey? Our gap around by me looks like it's going out of business. We walked in and there was like 8 things on a rack and like one table. It was weid. I used to love the gap
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    J crew is slightly pricey but their stuff lasts forever!! If u own a pair of their shorty for 10 years... It's like only paying pennies per wear! This how I rationalize buying pricier clothes!! Lol!

Oh and Victoria's secret is cut with a little more hip too...they have great online return policy also if things don't work out!
  • Cindym82
    Options
    J crew is slightly pricey but their stuff lasts forever!! If u own a pair of their shorty for 10 years... It's like only paying pennies per wear! This how I rationalize buying pricier clothes!! Lol!

Thats how I feel about the more expensive stuff I bought, I have shirts from NY & Co that have stayed the same bright color and shape for like 5yrs. Thanks for the info :) You guys are all so awesome
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    We have an outlet mall close by me and I hit up the Ann Taylor Loft, and Banana Republic outlet stores in there. I think those are great for making the transition from the the juniors dept.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    We have an outlet mall close by me and I hit up the Ann Taylor Loft, and Banana Republic outlet stores in there. I think those are great for making the transition from the the juniors dept.

Great idea. What age were you when you transitioned if I may ask? The whole turning 30 is weird for me. I don't look 30 or feel any older but I want to go for the more grown up look i guess.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Gap jeans are the only ones that fit me...and I agree on the jrs section...you have to be a total stick with no hips or butt to be able to buy jeans or shorts there.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is great for casual wear, jeans, shorts, t-shirts and tanks...
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We don't have much... but I LOOOOVE Maurices. It's that perfect mixture of attire that's cute and in style, and doesn't make people think 'what the hell?? gross!" when someone older wears it.
  • msgsarah
    msgsarah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have these shops in the US but Reiss is absolutely amazing. It's fairly expensive but still high street.
    Also, Mango and Zara is beautiful stuff and affordable too. Second the lady that said Banana Republic. And Vero Moda is very good also, if you can order it in the states.
    I like all these brands because they are trend-aware, but in a classic, elegant way so I think you'd enjoy them.
    You may not have time to get them delivered before your holidays, but their websites are well worth a browse when you get back.

Hope that helps a little! :)
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    Ross has become my go to store for clothes. I don't want to spend a lot on clothes since in a month they could be too big, so i buy a few pieces at a time from there and save some money.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Any store will do, but try the "Misses" section. It's for senior tweeners like us ("tweeners" are the kids in between childhood and teendom, so we 29/30-year-olds get to be the senior version of that), and that's where I shop now. I can't stand going into the "Women's" section; everything looks like my grandma should wear it. The other day, while on vacation, I went to the "Juniors" section and just about died when I realized I was not even interested in wearing those clothes. I even said to my boyfriend, "Okay, let's get the hell out of here; I can't wear this sh**! I'm almost 30!" Off I went to the Misses section, and I found plenty of clothes that were right for our age. I was shopping at Beall's, but Kohl's is good too!