In the red !!

Options

Replies

• 13joanne
    13joanne Posts: 59
    Options
    Starting tomorrow as I'm going bed now it's 10pm and I need my beauty sleep x
  • Jules_1111
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    To much protein turns into fat
    family-feud-3-strikes.jpg
  • doonutt2
    doonutt2 Posts: 1
    Options
    yesterday was history tomorrow is the future and today is the present we can only live for the present and we can change now!
  • lucy4747
    lucy4747 Posts: 15
    Options
    no I am not kidding here it is and I don't understand what the attitude is for I anwsered somebodys question on what I read :mad:

Seems like everyone at the gym is doing it: filling up on protein to bulk up those biceps. But it's a misconception. Eating extra protein actually doesn't do much toward boosting your muscle mass and strength.

In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

She says that a diet containing excess protein can have the following adverse effects:

Adding more protein but not more calories or exercise to your diet won't help you build more muscle mass, but it may put your other bodily systems under stress.
    Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
    Too Much Protein
    So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

How Much Protein Do I Need?
    The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

It's Essential
    Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Whether you are an avid strength trainer, a marathon runner, or just an average exerciser, a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish, and complex carbohydrates is what nutritionists recommend.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I too am usually in the red on my protein, same with sugar. I finally took sugar *off* my list of things to track. Almost all was sugar from fruit and veggies. Some say sugar is sugar, but to me getting my sugar from fruit is nothing to be concerned about (I was very worried for a while though thinking how awful it was blowing my sugar each and every single day) I have also made the choice and switch to eat some things sugar free. Some say that's bad but to me it's a smart compromise on certain foods.

To each their own!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    no I am not kidding here it is and I don't understand what the attitude is for I anwsered somebodys question on what I read :mad:

Seems like everyone at the gym is doing it: filling up on protein to bulk up those biceps. But it's a misconception. Eating extra protein actually doesn't do much toward boosting your muscle mass and strength.

In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

She says that a diet containing excess protein can have the following adverse effects:

Adding more protein but not more calories or exercise to your diet won't help you build more muscle mass, but it may put your other bodily systems under stress.
    Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
    Too Much Protein
    So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

It's Essential
    Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Whether you are an avid strength trainer, a marathon runner, or just an average exerciser, a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish, and complex carbohydrates is what nutritionists recommend.

How old is this? The fact that it talks about "food combining" for vegetarians to get their protein, which is completely unnecessary (and anyway, refers to the amino acids that make a complete protein), makes me discount everything else.
  • lucy4747
    Options
    Just google it there is mulitple articles this is just one of the many that I picked
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Just google it there is mulitple articles this is just one of the many that I picked

And you will also find plenty that say 1g of protein per lean body mass is good - you can find back-up articles for pretty much any opinion on the internet.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

This explain that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the sugar seeing it is from fruit

Too much protein will not turn into fat. No macro (Carb/fat/protein) will convert to body fat, unless you eat more then maintenance calories. The protein intake on MFP is quite low, I would suggest changing your goal, or using that as a minimum. As for sugar, the amount MFP shows is for added sugar, but then does not distinguish between the 2. If you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic I would suggest tracking something else as you already track carbs and sugar is a carb.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Not had a good few days so glad Easter is over I want to start a fresh tomorrow , so started planing my day , I have planed dinner chicken brown rice and veg and 2 snacks an apple before I go to the gym and a pear in the afternoon , I used to eat a lot more fruit as I did ww about a year ago any way already in the red for protein and sugar is this bad !

What ever you get from this thread don't believe that protein turns to fat :noway:

I have heard it said that an excess of protein and carbs work together to make fat - but the reality of this is it's the excess calories that are causing a weight gain.

So much crap science on the internet that every mug believes
  • lucy4747
    Options
    You know what you ppl just want to talk *kitten*. I looked up what to much protein does (seeing I was having the same issue and was also told by a nutironist that to much protein is not good ) and all that came up was article after article about it not being good. This is why it is better not to comment on anything because there is always someone out there that thinks they know everything and want to put someone down. Also yes the morn you exercise the more protein you are allowed. But to everyone that anwsered her question in a nice way without tring to put me down thank-you. I did not know that ppl getoff talking **** on these posts
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

Seriously??? WOW

Please don't listen to misinformation!!

I started losing faster once I upped my protien and started using Whey:)
  • m60kaf
    Options
    You know what you ppl just want to talk *kitten*. I looked up what to much protein does (seeing I was having the same issue and was also told by a nutironist that to much protein is not good ) and all that came up was article after article about it not being good. This is why it is better not to comment on anything because there is always someone out there that thinks they know everything and want to put someone down. Also yes the morn you exercise the more protein you are allowed. But to everyone that anwsered her question in a nice way without tring to put me down thank-you. I did not know that ppl getoff talking **** on these posts

So lets be logical about this

You post a point that some guy says on the internet (who may or may not be trying to pedal something for $$$) and you come up against a few dozen people who have success stories probably lost 1000lbs between them who tell you no way.

Then you get upset cos Google says :laugh:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Don't believe this.

Too much of anything (Carbs, fat, protein) will get turned into fat by your body.
    MFP's protein level is low, being in the red isn't a bad thing as long as your diet is balanced.

Sugar is just a carbohydrate. "Too much" is relative. Especially if you're getting it from fruits (which have fiber to counteract the blood sugar effect), I wouldn't worry about it.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

....no. If you're going to post something please have the facts.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

No one is talking ****...Did you ever stop to think that since almost everyone replying to this thread disagrees with you, that you may just be wrong?? :flowerforyou: All of my friends are doing an amazing job and most of us consume about 1g or protein per lb of LBM!! Hell I started losing faster when I started having Whey shakes after my workouts and upping my protein intake.

Everything you read on the internet is not true, if so the world would have ended already and Y2K would have been a disaster.
  • m60kaf
    Options
    I can use google too - i have to say the letters out loud as I type it into the browser tho doubleu... doubleu... doubleu... dot g ohhh ohhh g....

http://www.burnthefat.com/high_protein_diet.html
  • lucy4747
    Options
    Again if your read what I wrote it was not just the internet but also a nutritionist and I did not get upset with anyone not agreeing it is the point of ppl swearing believe me I have some choice of words for them
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options

Too Much Protein

It's Essential

When using articles please ALWAYS include the reference (magazine, journal, newspaper, ect), date it was published, plus the author...if you want to be taken seriously~
    This sounds like something that was a filler for Good Housekeeping, not not American Journal of Medicine!