What do YOU do to stop a binge BEFORE it happens

Options
I do not mean to presume but I have found that a large number of people who continuously diet and are overweight have a tendency to binge. I am one of them. I work so hard during the week make great progress then gain it all back and then some on the weekend.

Any tricks out there to help me the next time a binge is knocking at my determination and willpower?

Thanks for taking the time:wink:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I started enjoying my diet more during the week. This way, Friday no longer has that "last day of school" feeling.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Pickles are known to help cravings and are low calories.
  • Aèlis18118360
    Options
    The best way, for me, is to eat more calories, so that I am not starving all the time, and also to plan my meals schedule the day before. In this way it is almost impossible for me to binge.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater before I started losing weight. It's a big reason why I refusing to call what I am doing a diet. I am not on a diet, I have made a permanent life change.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The weekdays are easier for me because I control what food I keep at work. Weekends are harder. However, I do multiple workouts on the weekend. This gives me more calories to play with, but it also suppresses my appetite (less time to eat, and I crave healthier foods after exercising).

Drink more water. Clear out the junk food. Do not allow yourself to go through a drive-thru. Keep lots of fruit and healthy snacks around the house. Cook good, clean meals and dishes.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I remind myself why I am doing this.

A binge can help you feel good for a moment, a healthy lifestyle can help you feel good from now on.
  • lizziegrace10
    Options
    Some people say give yourself what you want in moderation, but I find it easier this way. For example, I am a chocolate fiend, but if I'm craving chocolate really badly, instead of diving into the massive solid bar of milk chocolate, I'll have a chocolate flavour cereal bar, I have Weetabix ones that are only about 90 calories, there's loads of low cal brands! Or even better, low fat hot chocolate if you fancy it. Warm and fills you up :) If it's something savoury, try some nuts, or nut butter. Give yourself what you want, things that taste good, without going overboard!
    Oooh, and if you REAAALY feel like you need some chocolate ice cream, scoop a bit into a bowl and only eat that. Eating out of the pot will guarantee overeating, as I have personally discovered.
  • alyciamarlene
    alyciamarlene Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Water really is magical. I carry a water bottle with me at all times and make sure it's always full. I drink from it all day and being full of water really does help curb cravings!

Snacking is really important as well. Between breakfast and lunch I normally eat some veggies or something small so that I never reach that point of hunger. Although the craving for a bag of potato chips is still there I've just learn to like how I'm eating and I'm able to ignore the craving. I've found that once I haven't eaten it for a while I stop craving it all together.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I really try to drink some water and have my meals planned for the weekend. It's not so much that I binge, it's that I mindlessly snack with my husband (who needs to eat whatever whenever lol) So I try to cook for every meal on the weekend so I have that to look forward to. I know if I cook it I will eat it.

I also workout with my hubby on the weekend, we play volleyball/badminton or go for long walks because he is supportive of me losing weight. So I tell him "Babe I think I want to eat something when I really shouldn't" So he says lets go outside etc.
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    I have serious guilt issues. After a binge I know I have to go liquids for 2-3 days and I hate that. SO I stop and think hard before and ask myself if its worth it. I've only binged once since starting my journey in sept 2011. It was manic and scary. I also try to binge on good food! If i'm gonna go wild its in calories and not carbs. I did once eat 3 atkins bars and a pile of spinach salad!
  • elenanelis
    Options
    I was a binge eater before I started losing weight. It's a big reason why I refusing to call what I am doing a diet. I am not on a diet, I have made a permanent life change.

I agree you have to look at it that way so you won't be tempted to "cheat:"
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    look at my progress pics!!!
  • elenanelis
    Options
    The weekdays are easier for me because I control what food I keep at work. Weekends are harder. However, I do multiple workouts on the weekend. This gives me more calories to play with, but it also suppresses my appetite (less time to eat, and I crave healthier foods after exercising).

Drink more water. Clear out the junk food. Do not allow yourself to go through a drive-thru. Keep lots of fruit and healthy snacks around the house. Cook good, clean meals and dishes.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    well the binge mentality is usually about thinking you're depriving yourself...and then making up for it. I can get into the cycle very easily. So 2 things have helped me:-

1) have a mini binge. I would often buy 6 bags of crisps and 4 bars of chocolate..as a treat on a Friday. Lately, I can buy 2 bags of crips and 1 bar of chocolate instead. It's really helped with control issues too and enhanced the feeling of being able to have my cake and eat it..and still lose weight.

2) thinking that 1 day of binging is 1 day further away from my goal, and is it really worth it?
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    Honestly, I think about how I don't want to spend an extra 30 minutes at the gym just because I wanted to binge on something. I also drink a lot of water or green tea to keep me full.
  • amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    well i'm a binge eater but i'm starting to make new healthy eating habbits.
    first of all i still do binge sometimes but not every day as i usted to do for the past 8 months but i allow myself to eat around 2000-2500 cals every 14 days. it keeps me focused because i know that if i want to eat something i will but not today. and then i'm like okay,i'll wait unitl e.g. next Saturday. for me the key is knowing that i will eat whatever i want on my 'free' days. and i don't crave junk food anymore. i usually eat a lot of bananas with peanut butter on my free days.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I do not mean to presume but I have found that a large number of people who continuously diet and are overweight have a tendency to binge. I am one of them. I work so hard during the week make great progress then gain it all back and then some on the weekend.

Any tricks out there to help me the next time a binge is knocking at my determination and willpower?

Thanks for taking the time:wink:

I'm trying to take each day separately. In the past 'oh well I screwed up yesterday' was a valid excuse. I'm working to get away from that.

Also working out in the morning has helped me stay on track as well.

Finally I find getting a large breakfast for me helps with fullness throughout the day.
  • JJShotz
    JJShotz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Keep yourself busy and make plans to be active. I know a lot of times I eat on the weekend because I am bored. I've planned out activities during the weekend to keep my mind off of food.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The best way, for me, is to eat more calories, so that I am not starving all the time, and also to plan my meals schedule the day before. In this way it is almost impossible for me to binge.

That's a really good strategy. Try not to buy unhealthy foods that you might binge on--if it's not in the house, you can't eat it. I like to snack so I buy lots of fruits (like grapes and cut up pieces of watermelon) and veggies (baby carrots and celery sticks) that I can munch on when I feel like grazing. If I feel the urge to snack but I don't want the fruit or carrots then i know I'm not really hungry and it stops there. My husband likes to have things like potato chips and ice cream around the house so I just buy flavors that I don't like. Also I think the longer I stay on track eating healthy things the less I want unhealthy things. I used to have a major sweet tooth but I don't eat any processed sugar anymore. I had a donut about two weeks ago and a piece of cake on Easter--and my reaction was the same both times--way too sweet and it kind of gave me a headache. Good!! I think I've weaned myself off sugar!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Get to the root of the problem...most likely you want to binge because you are severely restricting. Make sure your diet is filled with lots of protein and healthy fats.

Also, don't bring the food into the house that you might be tempted to binge on during a week moment.

And, if you get to that point, leave the house before you do it. Take a walk. Change scenery. Give yourself a moment to think about why you're doing it.