feeling sick at the gym please help?

Options
i started at the gym last week for 3 days one day on one day off i find when im there after the first 30 mins of a 60 min work out that i start feeling sick i make sure i drink plenty but dont gulp but it hasnt gome away is this normal i dont eat alot before i go i have lunch then 1 hour later go then eat after if im not feeling to sick whats going on?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Try to eat a little bit more before you go.. Even if it's like a yogurt or an apple.

Also try to drink a little bit less.. i know for me at least if I drink too much then all that water sloshing around makes me sick to my stomach.
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    I try to eat something (100-200 calories) about 30 minutes to an hour before I start a workout.

However, I realized that whatever it was that I ate couldn't contain milk (yogurt, cheese, etc.). I just don't digest those fast enough and they would feel like they are just sitting in my stomach waiting to come back up. Yuck. (A few times it did! Double nasty)...

So now I grab a gluten-free rice cake with a bit of almond butter (Yum!) or fruit.

At first (when I first started working out ) I would also get super dizzy/nauseous. As my conditioning improved this has completely gone away. I think it was a combination of straining/holding my breath and eating the wrong things, too much, or nothing at all beforehand (it was making my blood pressure do really funky things).

I would recommend that you don't have a full meal (i.e., lunch) and just try to snack on something right before. Save your lunch for after your workout.

Hope this helps.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who are saying to eat something before you go. I used to feel sick and faint if I exercised before breakfast, the Dr reckoned it was low blood sugar. I now always make sure I eat breakfast before exercise and I have been fine since :smile:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    What are you doing at the gym? Cardio or strength training?
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've gone through a few phases of giving up the gym for a few months, then trying to get back into the habit.

For me, the first two weeks of getting back into it bring a slight sickness sensation and also sometimes a metallic taste in the mouth. I've found that the feeling goes away after a couple of weeks, around about the time that I settle back into my old running pace.

Worth mentioning the old advice: keep well hydrated. If you ever feel lightheaded, take a break right away.
  • wendywoolley
    Options
    What are you doing at the gym? Cardio or strength training?
    i do 15 cardio then 10 mins of weights some sit ups and step ups then finish with 10 mins more cardio
  • MrsKato1021
    MrsKato1021 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who is saying to eat a little somthing before you go. But for me I found I just didn't like going to the gym, I do Beachbody workouts at home and find that I can actual workout on an empty stomach and get good results, plus I'm not waiting on machines, I just foud the gyms around me were so crowded. good luck :))
  • mantisnd
    mantisnd Posts: 8
    Options
    Stay away from dairy prior to workout it can curdle in ur stomach. Being naseous is. Normal when u first start working out. It is ur bodys way of telling u its getting close to its limit. Take a short break when the feeling comes on. It will get better with conditioning. Even if u are in great shape u can push yourself too hard. Be careful not to break too long or your muscles can cool down. Let your body adjust and just keep at it.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i eat 2 hours before cardio..anything closer to my workout and i feel sick. So an hour would be too close for me. The only other times i feel sick is when i am pushing myself too hard for my fitness level. Think the key is to work out what your body can and cant cope with. Everyone has different triggers.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Depending on how intense the cardio is, that could be what is causing it. I know when I started the C25K, there were days that I thought I would puke when I was done. Now it's not an issue anymore. I generally eat a banana about an hour and a half to two hours before working out. Any closer to my workout and I feel horrible, not nauseous, just gross.