water intake!

Options
Hi i really struggle to drink water :(..i know it should be really easy but it isnt for me.. i dont know why but it makes me gag as i think it has an almost chemical taste. What is the alternative?..as obv i want to be healthy and get some water intake but i dont want loads of extra calories say if it was flavoured water etc. Thanks :) xxxx

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative to water unless you want alternative sugar-like chemicals, preservatives and junk that you get from flavored water....

Do you have a problem with room temperature water? I know many people just cant stomach it tepid...

I have a 64oz jug on my desk that I fill twice per day and thanks to an ice-machine, my water stays uber cold... and I absolutely LOVE chugging it! LOL!
  • trababes1971
    trababes1971 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I dont know what it is hun? lol I just struggle with the taste... i know people say it dosnt have a taste but i think it does lol! I think maybe what i need to do is start of small and put some in a water bottle and keep sipping throughout the day and maybe it will progress to two bottles etc. Im so naff honest ha xxxxx:wink:
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    it could be your water source. I can definitly taste the difference between say tap water, bottles water, and the water from my purified water pitcher. I could NEVER drink our tap water, but water from our brita pitcher is okay, but I LOVE dasani bottled water, or probably any bottled water. it could also be temperature, some people like colder water some people like room temp. I would try to drink bottled versus tap and try maybe some bottles in the fridge and some room temp and see if it tastes any better? maybe that will help.
  • cramernh
    Options
    I know that here where I live (Manchester, NH) they keep screwing with the water's chlorine levels... and it tastes so bad that even censoring myself wouldnt work here... its THAT BAD.

Thankfully with the job my husband has, we get free Poland Spring water.... and at work (Nashua, NH) the water is just as bad, and we get fresh water delivered weekly...

I swear the water at the town/city level is NASTY!!!!!!!!!! You may have a very sensitive palate that is picking up on the garbage in our regular water! I know I do!

Try fresh water if you can afford it. I know most store-brands are really affordable...
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think maybe what i need to do is start of small and put some in a water bottle and keep sipping throughout the day and maybe it will progress to two bottles etc.

This is what I did, bought a 750ml bottle and tried to make sure I drank 2 bottles full each day. Just have it next to me on my desk and sip it. I've now progressed to a 1L bottle and I'm happy to say rarely a day goes by when I dont drink at least 3 bottles :-)

You just need to get used to it. I've always drank squash and flavoured water and at first I didnt think I'd manage it but now I rarely think about putting squash in my water. I still dont like water from a glass though - I have no idea why but I make sure I always have a water bottle close by. Since increasing my water intake I've lost a steady 2lbs a week (gained in my first 2 weeks even though I was eating really healthy and exercising!)

You can do it and your body will thank you for it :-D
  • cramernh
    Options
    Freeze up some fresh raspberries - they make GREAT ice cubes that lightly flavor the water!!

Fresh lemon sage in water, or lemon basil... VERY refreshing..

Cucumber slices with mint.... UBER delish...
  • trababes1971
    Options
    Thanks hun yes that may be it, i will have to try that. :) xxxx
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You could try a 50/50 mix of water and fruit juice, or a dilute mix of sugar free fruit squash. A lot of recent research questions the long-asserted view that water is the healthiest drink. For example, this BBC article looks at the benefits of tea vs water.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5281046.stm
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going to the store and buying some Distilled water and see if you can handle that. If you can, you might want to look into a filter you can attach to your faucet.

Bottled waters usually add some salt to give it a little more oomph, you can try that with normal water, just a small amount.
    Also, lemon in water helps.

I personally use Crystal Light and dilute it.
  • trababes1971
    Options
    wow lucky you :)..getting freebies lol. I think tbh it is quite cheap our bottled water anyway from supermarkets, i mean to be honest the amount of money ive wasted on diet coke over the months is shocking so im sure i could put the money to better use and buy some water couldmt i? I need to do it, and enforce it, otherwise i wont loose weight. I have filled my body full of artificcial junk for too long now lol. xxxxxx
  • trababes1971
    Options
    Thanks hun, :) your totally right i think my body cries out for water tbh, as i suffer with urine infection also quite a bit (because i dont drink enough water)..sorry if too much info lol, but its true. So my body is suffering. Right im doing this..from today water is my friend lol. xxxxx
  • trababes1971
    Options
    Lol ooh thats making me hungry ;) lol. xxxxx
  • trababes1971
    Options
    I'd suggest going to the store and buying some Distilled water and see if you can handle that. If you can, you might want to look into a filter you can attach to your faucet.

Bottled waters usually add some salt to give it a little more oomph, you can try that with normal water, just a small amount.

• trababes1971
    Options
    not sure if im doing this right.. trying to reply to diff ppls posts but getting a bit confuddled..but anyway guys thanks :)for good advice really appreciate it. Im going to get some little bottles from the supermarket, and make water my new friend lol. ;) xxxx
  • cramernh
    Options

Not all bottled water has salt... she can easily find bottled water without any type of enhancement...
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I bought some little raspberry lemonade packets for my water bottles, they are really good. They are sweetened with Truvia, and I bought them at Walmart. It is called:
    True Lemon
    100% natural ingredients
    Calories 5
    Sugars 1g
    Vit C 25%
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with drinking enough water so I started flavouring it with Crystal Light. I never used the full "single" pack because that is just too sweet.

Another thing I did is always had a water bottle with me at my desk at work and would tell myself after each task i'd take a huge gulp. So after writing a letter, drink water, run to the printer, drink water, photocopy something, more water, finish off some dictation, more water. It becomes second nature after awhile.

Now if I don't drink a ton of water a day I feel sluggish and dehydrated.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I love water but I agree it does have a taste and different taps, places, etc will all make it taste different. Experiment with what you find okay to drink. Try a brita filter, ice, various temps, various bottled kinds, water cooler etc. I would hate to see you trade one bad habit for another, meaning don't do crystal lite etc as they have chemicals that are harmful in long run. Many people like adding a raspberry, strawberry, cuke slice, kiwi etc for flavor. Try to almost "force" yourself to drink more, I am not saying to down a whole glass at once, but add a few ounces each hour to slowly increase as the days go on.
  • trababes1971
    Options
    I bought some little raspberry lemonade packets for my water bottles, they are really good. They are sweetened with Truvia, and I bought them at Walmart. It is called:
    True Lemon
    100% natural ingredients
    Calories 5
    Sugars 1g
    Vit C 25%
    Thanks hun i dont think i have a Walmart near me:(.. but i will see if i can find it in stores near me or maybe online? xxx
  • trababes1971
    Options
    I used to have a problem with drinking enough water so I started flavouring it with Crystal Light. I never used the full "single" pack because that is just too sweet.

Another thing I did is always had a water bottle with me at my desk at work and would tell myself after each task i'd take a huge gulp. So after writing a letter, drink water, run to the printer, drink water, photocopy something, more water, finish off some dictation, more water. It becomes second nature after awhile.

Now if I don't drink a ton of water a day I feel sluggish and dehydrated.
    Im hoping that it becomes second nature to me too hun as i know i need to drink it :0) xxxxx