Academic research study on fitness video game motivatiors

Options
Hey everybody, I know this isn't typical of a myfitnesspal board post, but I really need your help. I'm a graduate researcher at Auburn University, and I'm studying the motivational factors for playing and buying fitness video games like Wii Fit or Dance Central. I'm distributing two very short (2-3 minute long) surveys, and I would love to have the opinions of people dedicated to working out reflected in the study. The surveys include:

The playing motivation survey:
https://auburn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_e8QwFCxe1OfiLbK

And the purchasing motivation survey:
https://auburn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8vV2Iu3hKwYSVkE

Completing just one or both of these surveys would be a huge help to me and the study. Oh! Almost forgot to mention that all of the data collected from these surveys is completely anonymous, and no identifying information will ever be provided to me or Auburn University. Thanks so much for your time, everyone!

Replies

• zbailes
    zbailes Posts: 6
    Options
    And please pretend that I spelled "motivators" right in the topic. Whoops!!
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    did the surveys - and I didn't even notice the extra letter in motivators until you pointed it out :)
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    answered both :)
  • zbailes
    Options
    Haha thanks for the response, StephC74!! And, I felt like I had to point it out... Of all the places to slip a typo, I'd put one in the topic that represents the study. D'oh!! Haha
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Answered both too. Hope you get enough responses.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Did you get permission from the board admin before soliciting for help with research on the boards?

Not being snitty, trying to be helpful. In ethical terms, you *must* seek permission first before posting this kind of request.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Done and done :smile:
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I'm a little concerned too by the minimal information for participants, and by the lack of a consent form.

Has this been cleared by your university ethics panel?
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Both done...................:smile:
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've completed both surveys :) Best of luck with the rest of your research.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Done! Good luck. :)
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Done - BOL with your research
  • zbailes
    Options
    Wow, I cannot thank you all enough for the responses - The data will be a HUGE help to the study!

I'm leaving the survey open for about another week or so, so if you haven't submitted a response yet but would still like to, please free to take the survey. Again, thank you all so much! This study would've gone nowhere without such meaningful input from you all.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Meant to do these the other day, but got distracted and completely forgot. Doing them now.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Wow, I cannot thank you all enough for the responses - The data will be a HUGE help to the study!

I'm leaving the survey open for about another week or so, so if you haven't submitted a response yet but would still like to, please free to take the survey. Again, thank you all so much! This study would've gone nowhere without such meaningful input from you all.

No chance of you addressing my legitimate queries about the ethics of your study (or, realistically, your complete failure to engage in ethical academic practice... ), I guess?

I'm a bit surprised so many people are willing to respond to a survey that claims an academic status, but doesn't engage with appropriate academic standards.

Have you had any approval at all from your university for this study?