LowCal Breakfast Cookies

Options
crazytreelady
crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
I'm looking for recipes that make a nice dense low cal breakfast cookie... Well below 200 cals per serving at least.

I'm not very picky with food/flavours... So what ever you have, I'll take!

Replies

• katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump! i would love to know too!
  • happypath101
    Options
    That's a great idea! Sorry, I don't have a recipe. But, hopefully, you get some good ones and I'll definately give them a try. Thanks!
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crazytreelady
    Options
    I tried this recipe last night actually.. Not really to my liking.. But here ya go!

3 large, ripe mashed bananas,

1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 cups quick-cooking raw oats

1/4 cup skim milk

1/2 cup raisins (or any other dried fruit you want to add)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon sugar (or other dry sweetener)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray two baking sheets with cooking spray, or line them with parchment paper; set aside.

Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until very well combined. Let this mixture stand for about 5-10 minutes to let the oats absorb some of the moisture from the wet ingredients. Using a heaping spoonful of batter for each cookie, drop batter onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving room for each cookie to “spread” slightly. Bake for 15-20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.

**Additional Variations: If you add any variety of chopped nuts, you will have a grab and go breakfast that includes protein as well as fruits and grains (with a very trivial amount of added fat). Dried cranberries are also a wonderful addition (especially in the fall). And cardamom will add an interesting flavor twist if you want to substitute that spice for the cinnamon.

NOTE: Due to variations in the size of the bananas, I have yielded a different quantity of cookies each and every time that I have made this recipe. Also It is important to note that this is not a dessert type of cookie, so it will not be extremely sweet (like what you are used to eating when you think of a “cookie”.

Quantity produced will vary. Per 3 Cookies: 187 calories, 0 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 16 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, less than 1 g sugar, 3.5 g protein, 39 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Easy One-Bowl Low-Fat Breakfast Cookies

A cross between a cookie and a muffin, these wholesome little bites make a great breakfast on the go. Pack two of these with a piece of fruit and a low fat yogurt, and this should see you through until lunch time.
    Cook Time: 12 minutes

Total Time: 12 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1 1/2 cups oats
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
    2 egg whites
    2 tbsp canola oil
    1 very ripe medium banana, mashed
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup dried fruit (such as Sunsweet Antioxidant blend)
    Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add egg whites, oil, mashed banana and vanilla. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Fold in dried fruit. Drop by tablespoon full on to baking sheet lined with parchment or silicone mat. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly golden.

Makes 24 breakfast cookies

Per Cookie: Calories 115, Calories from Fat 17, Total Fat 1.9g (sat 0.2g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 67mg, Carbohydrate 21.5g, Fiber 2g, Protein 2.9g

Source: http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/breakfastandlunch/r/breakfastcookie.htm
  • crazytreelady
    Options
    I found this on allrecipes... But didn't look very healthy, so I altered it.

Here is the link for the original version. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-breakfast-cookie/

Ingredients

1/4 cups brown sugar
    1/4 cups honey
    1 cups rolled oats or quick oats
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/4 cup apple sauce
    1/2 cup banana puree OR pumpkin puree
    2 tablespoons water
    2 egg whites
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/4 cup chopped dates
    ** optional** 1/4 cup dried fruit of your choice

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
    In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, honey, oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and pour in the apple sauce, puree, egg whites and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Stir in the dates and dried fruit if any.

Scoop cookies onto sheet. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets and flatten to 1/2 tall with wet hands. These cookies do not flatten very much while baking.
    In the preheated oven, bake 8 minutes for chewy cookies 10 to 12 minutes for dry cookies. Cookies will not get crisp. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

**AT THE MOST IT SHOULD COME OUT TO 160 CALORIES PER COOKIE (MAKES 12)**
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
  • crazytreelady
    Options
    found this too

1 cup brown sugar
    1 1/4 cups rolled oats
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (heaping)
    6 tablespoons applesauce
    6 tablespoons pumpkin puree (if using homemade, make sure it is thick like canned)
    2 egg whites
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
    Place all ingredients in bowl, stir together until combined.
    Roll the cookies into golf ball sized balls with cooking oil sprayed hands.
    Place on cookie sheet (s) about 2 inches apart, giving them room to spread slightly.
    Spray tops with cooking oil, flip over with a cooking oil sprayed spatula, these are precautions so your cookies won't stick to the pan.
    Bake about 8 minutes for moist cookies and 10-12 for dry cookies.
    Store in Tupperware between layers of waxed paper.
    Great with a pumpkin pie latte!

http://www.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-cranberry-breakfast-cookie-101814