Cardio and Weights help ?!

Options
Ive just recently started on the health path and getting in shape (since the begining of the month). I fast walk and jog every night for 30 minutes to 1 hr (depending how hard I push myself) Ive gotten to the point where im more comfortable jogging more than walking. Ive also been doing some strength exercises (mainly my arms and crunches) at home with makeshift weights (juice jugs filled with water) every day. Im going to check out the gym tomorrow its a little harder to do that with a 3 year old. I know i shouldnt just jog everyday I know i need to be doing some more strenght exercises/lifting weights because I wold like to tone my body as I lose the weight. Im just not sure how to go about it? anyone have any advice?

Replies

• lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Body for LIfe" by Amanda Peet. She gives a detailed overview of how weight lifting will change your body. She recommends 3-5 cardio workouts a week and 3 weight workouts. Lifting weight heavy enough to only do 15 to 20 reps.
  • Azreal71
    Azreal71 Posts: 2
    Options
    Go on Youtube and check out Mike Changs , six pack shortcuts. He doesn't give the complete workouts ,but will give you something to work with. You also may not be able to perform all the moves but the effort will get your heartrate up and thats what matter. My wife and i do alot of his workouts and they are awesome. Good luck!!
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    I do a circuit training program that I had put together that I use three times a week that involved an all body strength and cardio too. I have started to see my body toning more from it because before I would just do cardio but now I am at the point where I need to combine strength with cardio. I can send you my fitness program in a message if you would like. Let me know by sending me an inbox :)
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of body weight exercises that you can do, not just for your arms. Squats, lunges, side kicks, etc - none of which require weights. You can also increase the intensity by using your home-made weights. Also, push ups and chair dips are easy to do without a gym and are a great workout. There are many push-up variations that will help work different parts of your arms and you get a good core exercise too because your doing a plank the whole time. You can use the cardio to burn calories and help lose weight, but you won't get a lot of definition without building some muscle. I know some of the nationwide gyms have kids centers, so you can take your kid with you and have someone watch him/her while you're working out. But if you're still just beginning, you may not need the gym yet. womenshealthmag.com has a lot of great exercises, as does self magazine.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I started, I did cardio. Just cardio for the first 3 months. I added weight training after that. Nothing crazy, just enough to get some definition in my arms. Still waiting for the definition on my legs and tummy..... =)
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The best advice is to find something that you like doing. Don't be afraid to try new things - DVDs, classes, machines, etc. You are more likely to continue if you enjoy the workout.
  • gafrausto
    gafrausto Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are also free apps for push ups, pull ups, squats, etc... that you can download to your phone. I try to work out regularly at home and at the gym, but I also like to use the apps during a break at work or during lunch. The individual workouts are short, so you can combine the only equipment is your body (except pull ups). These apps also track your progress.

The apps that I use were designed by NorthPark.

Good Luck!!