Foam Rolling

Options
Who does it? What benefits do you feel you get from it?

Replies

• missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i love using my foam roller!! it really hurts at first, but it breaks up all the lactic acid in your muscles, which help you to feel less sore and be more 'flexible'

ETA: my trainer would do it at the beginning of our workouts and i do it on my own at home as well
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    i love using my foam roller!! it really hurts at first, but it breaks up all the lactic acid in your muscles, which help you to feel less sore and be more 'flexible'

It's actually more like a deep tissue massage. It's helps relax the fascial (spelling?) tissue. My recommendation would be to buy a Rumble Roller (Amazon.com) as it's considerably more solid than the foam rollers and really just works better all around.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    it is like having a sport massage therapist at your house. helps loosen up sore muscles, knots, etc.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use it post running on my upper hamstring since it is sore always form previous injuries
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    It is a KILLER massage! And it is a workout because you are constantly adjusting, hitting a tender spot lifting yourself up a little just to the point where it hurts a little but can still stand it, then moving to the next spot. I try to do 20-30 minutes on my legs every night of the work week.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I love my foam roller and ball for the bottom of the foot - it helps me with soreness and stiffness in general- and it helps with the holy **** I overdid it at the gym, please magic foam roller, help me.
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use mine after runs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Very fond of mine. Tennis and lacrosse balls also work well. I use them before working out to warm up and loosen up. It's help me deal with injuries and prevent new ones.

Ever get that "damn I need a massage so bad" feeling? With a roller and a ball, you can basically give yourself one.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far. Im thinking of purchasing one. I lift 3 days a week, heavy and all compound. I also run 5-6 days a week, steady state cardio on nature trails and/or roads ranging from 2.5 - 5 miles. I'm usually not that sore because I have done these activities for years but I'm looking for more flexibility.

Also,my fiancee gets pains in her legs every once in awhile when she runs or does squats. She has good form on both but static stretching doesn't seem to help.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Helps me recovery a lot faster after my long training sessions and races.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have been foam rolling for over a year now - it's amazing -- get a good one, not like the cheap ones at wal mart -- here's the one I have (these are the ones they have at my gym too) - http://www.power-systems.com/p-2972-premium-eva-foam-roller.aspx

I also have this - and LOVE It!! Got introduced to it by my trainer (as well as foam rolling) - https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SG-1900

also use a lacrosse ball for my butt and feet! :)
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is great! I used mine last night on my IT bands/glutes...it hurts but feels good. This morning I am not as sore. I highly recommend it.
  • cindywomack1
    cindywomack1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my foam roller! My daughter's coach calls it "poor mans massage". At first it hurts, but it really helps break up the lactic acid to speed recovery. I go to a masseuse for deep tissue massages once a month but this ties me over between appointments....I love it for my lats.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump for later - also wondering what the benefits are!