Consistently going over protein allowance - is this bad?

Options
This is my first week with MFP. I'm enjoying it a lot, but have a rather strange question. I'm able to stay at or just below my recommended calories, carbs, sugars and fat, but I consistently go over my protein allotment. Am I doing something wrong? Is this even a bad thing? Everything else is well within the recommended amounts. I'm just curious if I need to worry about this or change something. Any ideas?

Replies

• Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    high protein low fibre foods , switch for an high fiber breakfast it should do the trick
    high proteins are great if you exercise
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I,ve been doing the same thing and wondering the same question:tongue:

But Ive lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks:ohwell: So It cant be that bad, right:embarassed:
  • Saken
    Options
    I,ve been doing the same thing and wondering the same question:tongue:

But Ive lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks:ohwell: So It cant be that bad, right:embarassed:

do you exercise?
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting a day?

A good rule of thumb if you work out a lot with weights is 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass...a lot of serious lifters aim for 1g per 1lb of body weight.
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    yes, I do a curves workout 3 times a week :happy: and I try to fit in some taped yoga:flowerforyou:
  • Saken
    Options
    yes, I do a curves workout 3 times a week :happy: and I try to fit in some taped yoga:flowerforyou:

it's fine then!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    MFP by default sets you up with 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. You can modify these goals, so that they are more in tune with your preferred eating plan. For example, I typically follow a more "Zone" oriented diet, which is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

What I did is edit the goals with my preferences so that they were more in line. From "My Home", go to "Goals", then click on "Change Goals", pick "Custom" then click "Continue", change the Carb, Protein and Fat percentages to what you want and click "Change Goals". Your targets are now updated!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    MFP by default sets you up with 50% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. You can modify these goals, so that they are more in tune with your preferred eating plan. For example, I typically follow a more "Zone" oriented diet, which is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

What I did is edit the goals with my preferences so that they were more in line. From "My Home", go to "Goals", then click on "Change Goals", pick "Custom" then click "Continue", change the Carb, Protein and Fat percentages to what you want and click "Change Goals". Your targets are now updated!

That is exactly right. There are plenty of different theories about what the exact percentages should be, but I found that the way I was eating - what seemed to fill me up while still staying low in calories was the 40/30/30.

You can research on the internet, or library, but maybe some of the nutrition experts who are on here will explain the differences much better than I can.
  • emmasmom3
    Options
    I would have to agree in that if you are working out at least three x per week, that you need the protein. The dangerous area is when you don't exercise, no matter what you take in too much of, it will be extra, and not used as fuel, So I totally recommend working out, and if you are having success with the program, that you should keep the protein up. I typically eat way over my recommended protein as I am lifting and doing cardio six days a week. My goal is to build lean muscle mass. Hope this helps.
    Stephanie
  • anna1131
    anna1131 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was watchng the today show a while back and this lady was talking about protein. She said if you divide your weight in half and add 10. Thats about how much protein your body needs. You can go to todayshow.com to find the article. I thought it made sense. Not sure if it is true or not.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    yeah, I hate the way they put their standard macro levels.....15% is so low for protein
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I'm always going over my protein allowance...Isn't there a way to change it on here?
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a way to change it. I included it in my post above, but I'll make it stick out more.

To change your Carb/Protein/Fat percentages:
    Go to "My Home"
    Go to "Goals"
    Click on "Change Goals"
    Pick "Custom"
    Click "Continue"
    Change the Carb, Protein and Fat percentages to what you want (ex. 40, 30, 30)
    Click "Change Goals"

Your targets are now updated!
  • cerdmann
    cerdmann Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are great ideas and comments. I do work out at least 5 days a week with 40-50 minutes of pure cardio and 20 minutes of strength training with weights. Since I'm so new to this program, I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. I'll check it over a two week span and if I still stay consistently above the protein levels, but within all the other recommended levels, and I'm losing weight, then I'll go to the "Change Goals" section and change my protein target. Great advice!
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    I am on a low protein diet (see profile) recommended by a renal dietician. The MFP standards just about meet that (just a tad high for me). So for the normal person going over some is not a big deal. It really is all about balance.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I am on a low protein diet (see profile) recommended by a renal dietician. The MFP standards just about meet that (just a tad high for me). So for the normal person going over some is not a big deal. It really is all about balance.

Wow thanks for that info - honestly that puts it in perspective. It's all so confusing to me, as a newb.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is the very best breakdown I've found so far, for me, as well.