I've lost my motivation!

Options
So my birthday was last month! and we had a birthday party and there was lots of food, drinking, and eating! Since then it seems like i can't get motivated..i bought a pair of sexy wedges yesterday and i think that did the trick! i woke up this morning went for a walk with my dog and came home and ate a very healthy lunch..im just scared because i know me and i know it could fade!! any one have any suggestions on how to stay motivated?? Thanks guys!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    I know how you feel. sunday was easter and my boys got a lot of candy in their baskets. Last night I found myself eating piece after piece. I lost my motivation and I think its because Im new to this and I dont have a lot of friends on here. And I dont have a lot of support from family and freinds because we dont live close together. But I think if you look in the mirror everyday and tell urself that u can do it, that helps. And everytime u think u want to eat unhealthy foods think about were u want to be and the affects that one little piece of candy will have on u. Also maybe join a gym. The more friends, the more motivation.
  • itsmaymee
    itsmaymee Posts: 45
    Options
    Oh how I feel you here. I lost my motivation a few weeks ago after going out for my husbands birthday. I had Taco Bell for lunch today and someone said something to me about it that helped snap me back. But I'm not sure I'm feeling it like I was when I first started a couple months ago. All I can say is take it one day at a time and allow yourself time to slip up. If you know you've got something to celebrate (like birthdays) then go do it. Just get back on track the next day. Or the day after that if you're to hungover to think about it. :) I'm sure you'll do just fine.
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    What I do is post reminders of my goals where I will see them the most. Example the kitchen, computer, at work and on the bathroom mirror. Give yourself a cheat day to enjoy food you enjoy so your not always craving it, have it in samples but do not over do it. Keep up your progress and remember even the best have a moment of lapse it is getting back into the game and taking a step forward.
  • imma_free_girl_baby312
    Options
    oh thats why im so glad i dont have kids yet! i would buy all the candy that I would like so i could eat it! lol Well thanks for the add, i know its hard and scary getting into this but if you make it you "bible" and you it all the time you will be and do great! Im so excited to see your progress and how you do! im here for ya if you need anything? My name is Dayna btw! :o)
  • imma_free_girl_baby312
    Options
    Thanks Bull! that makes alot of sense! im gonna go to the bathroom right now and right something on the mirror!
  • imma_free_girl_baby312
    Options
    Itsmaymee: Temptation sucks!! lol but i always say i WILL NOT beat myself up anymore for slipping i'd rather slip and get back on it the next day then slip and never do it again! Thanks for the tip!
  • Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    Hi Dayna Im Kendra. And Im glad u posted this cause I thought I was the only person that felt like that. But I think that Im going to post stuuf in my mirror, on the stove, and probably all over the house. Im willing to try anything that will cause no harm to get back in shape.
  • Lollypops44
    Lollypops44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, 3 years ago I lost 75 lbs over 18 months. Then around 18 mths ago the motivation just went plus a couple other problems and now I'm 30 lbs over again. I really need to lose the 30lb plus another 10. Im determined to get to that goal and regain the motivation that I once had for weight loss. We really can do this but need to not beat ourselves up over a birthday meal and get back on track te next day.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I have been feeling like this lately, burnt out from going to the gym all the time and aerobics all the time. I am still tracking my calories but it's a lot harder to stick to the right intake levels when I am not working out anymore!! I have always given myself one cheat day a week, within reason, where I didn't have to work out if I didn't want to and I could eat something that wasn't as good for me. It helps, like a reward to look forward to.

Not sure how I am gonna be able to get my butt back to the gym. I didn't even bring my stuff today, I was bringing my stuff for a while and just not going....
  • stormy44wi
    Options
    sometimes just going to the success board and reading the stories and seeing the pictures helps. and maybe putting on an outfit that you look the worst in. lol.

i fell off track for a few days. Now I'm back. Feel free to add me. I think having lots of friends on this site helps too.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Well where did you lose it at? Think back, retrace your steps - it will be in the last place you look.

I typically find that I leave mine in the closet or in my underwear drawer.
  • Lakaria
    Lakaria Posts: 3
    Options
    I feel the same way right now. My mom knew my nephew was going to be here for Easter so she went and bought a ton of candy. Of course, now we have chocolate stuff and that is a major weak spot for me. My sweet tooth is really bad. I have been at this for 3 weeks, going on 4 and lost about 3lbs. Now, after the holiday, I feel sluggish and just want to sit with the candy bowl and watch tv. I know I felt better after doing my walk so I came here for some motivation. I love all of the tips in this post. I just hope my will power will over rule my sweet tooth till the guys eat all of the candy! Best of luck to everyone =)
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Add friends on MFP and open your diary. This will help you be accountable! As you can tell, one "cheat" day can't undo all of your hard work -- but it can undo your motivation. Which is why I seldom have any.

Still, you have to be flexible because graduations, weddings, etc. will happen and you can't get down if you have a bad day -- or a bad meal. Just be determined to keep going. That's all it is, really, identifying not just when you fell off the horse but why, then get back on.

And, of course, the Success Stories as mentioned are very inspirational...if they can do it, you can, too!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    We all have days where we slip up. That doesn't make the whole effort a failure. Accept the fact that these things happen and get back on track. It's only a failure if we give up after we slip.

On Easter Sunday I ended up breaking a streak of 36 consecutive days of walking 10K steps. I was spending the day with family out of town, and between that and the 5-hour drive I didn't have time to get my walking in. While I'm disappointed that my streak was broken, I started a new one yesterday. I'm now on day 2 of the new streak, and I'm committed to making this one longer than the last one.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    A fav phrase of mine: "Moderation in all things, including moderation". We are all on a long-term journey. If the road ahead looks impossibly long, look back once in a while to see how far you've come (29 pounds already!! That's MAJOR!) - also don't look TOOO far ahead - just one intersection (if you are a city slicker or bend in the road if you are a country gal) at a time.

Maybe looking back at your food and exercise logs from when you WERE highly motivated will help you recapture the feeling that you have "done it right" before and can do so again.

To: jesspi68 (and anyone else having gym attendence issues) - while there is the old "I paid for it - better make the most of it" approach (the stick motivation)- maybe you need to think about mixing it up a bit, now that the weather is warming up (the carrot motivation). If you can't get yourself into a gym, why not do something else before going back, like bike or mall-walk, or get a skipping rope or whatever. Activitiy of any kind (instead of couch-potatoing) is more to the point than a specific KIND of activity.

Do you own a Wii? You can rent Wii Fit Plus from the video store (like Rogers) The Wii Fit Plus games are great de-stressors, and I use the balence board on top of my six-inch step-bench while watching tv or listening to an audio-book for a 30-minute stretch. (makes me feel virtuous, and STILL get to watch fav shows at the same time :wink: )
  • Lup120
    Lup120 Posts: 31
    Options
    I know how you feel I lost mine around Saint Patrick's weekend for about two weeks. I was working crazy hours at both my jobs meaning no time to go to the gym, I had plans to go out and drink for a few days, my skeeball team had our last game of the season so we celebrated with lots of alcohol, when I did have down time I had no motivation to go the gym.

But finally after about two weeks when things slowed down and the only excuse I had not to go the gym was my own laziness, I just buckled down and did it. I am so glad I did, despite no real exercise and drinking away most of my calories for about 4 days out of 15, I somehow lost 5 lbs! I know if I stayed away I would have put that back on and then some. If I lost that without really trying imagine what I could if I did try.

So the moral of the story don't give up imagine what you can do if you do try to get your motivation back and start making way to your fitness goals you won't get the changes you want for yourself if you give up now. Once you get back to your routines you will see the differences and that will help motivate you more.
  • jparker12379
    jparker12379 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really needed to read this today.... I lost my motivation somewhere between drinking beer Saturday and over eating Ham for Easter dinner (not to mention snacking on the chips and dip that just happened to be served up!) I kicked myself and felt really down about slipping up so I let my guilt get the best of me and continued to eat crap yesterday as well figuring the damage was done.

The damage can't be undone but that doesn't mean I have to cause any more damage. Instead of caving in getting that Whopper I wanted to drown my sorrows in for lunch I had a crisp salad with asain dressing for lunch and just have to jump back up and do this !

Birthday's, Celebrations and Holiday's are going to happen in life I need to learn how to not let one slip up control me days later!
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My physician told me this and it helps me everytime i mess up....

If your driving in your car and get a flat tire, what do you do?
    You pull over fix the tire and go on your merry way... You don't get a flat and leave the car.

Same with eating right.... If you mess up, recognize what you did and then keep going , don't blow your whole diet over a few mess ups, brush yourself off and keep going....

Good luck, and don't worry about your lunch...... next is dinner.. =)
  • Silverbullet2k
    Silverbullet2k Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can totally relate to this thread, I've come back to mfp due to my now willingness to succeed at this new way of life. I've had a lot to deal with in the past 4 weeks and have managed to somehow stay below my original starting weight of 10st6 and am now 10st,(I went down to 9st8 on mfp previously). I have been back exercising and weight training since Friday and just had to come back here and read some forum threads to help to get my backside off my sofa tonight and up in front of my tv to do some Zumba.
    I cant stop beating myself up about how much i would have lost if I had'nt fallen of this lifestyle, but I cant look back only forward.
    Tomorrow is another day & a day which will see me exercise and eat healthy :)
    Thank you mfp for the motivation :))
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "Suck it up and one day I won't have to suck it in" and "You have a choice. You can throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face."

These are two of my lame motivational blurbs I think of when exercising.