Just had foot surgery... what exercises can I do??

Options
I'm used to the usual, walking, treadmill, cardio dvd's or even wii games but I can't but any pressure on my foot. I'm feeling the pounds creep back on since I've been imobile. So I reach out to ya'll to get some ideas to burn calories without using my foot or standing.

Replies

• gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    Are there plans for you to go to physical therapy as part of your recovery? A physical therapist could make sound recommendations.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I just had my foot in a walking cast, so I could still use it to stabilize myself. I was able to sit on my workout ball and do punching routines. It wasn't tons of calories burned but it helped some. I useded the punching routines from my Turbo Jams but I am sure you could find some on youtube as well.
  • nomoreplaying
    Options
    i love chair dancing. my foot is messed up and sometimes and i cant put too much pressure. i get my usual exercise dvd and do it sitting in a chair with no arms. works up a sweat i tell yah
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    how resent is the surgery? There is a couple of things you can do, you can google the office work out. these are things people can do right in their office at work. Look into sit up, leg lifts, crunches, half moons, rows. See whn you can start to swim after the foot has healed well enough. You can also do shoulder presses, front presses, chest flies. If you are worried about bulking high reps with low weight. about 14 or muscle failure. Hope this helps
  • nomoreplaying
    Options
    i did that turbo jam in a chair - oh man!
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    Are there plans for you to go to physical therapy as part of your recovery? A physical therapist could make sound recommendations.

I'm a physical therapist and I would wait until you start physical therapy to get recommendations from your therapist. You can always do upper body and still work on your lower body as well, but limit weight bearing/foot exercises. Eventually you can move to aquatics, just depends on the healing process of your foot. Good luck with everything, but if you are recently out of surgery do not do too much. Therapy should be your main focus so you can get back on your feet 100%.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I was able to use an exercise bike and seated weight lifting (just not leg stuff) while recovering from my stress fracture, but check with your surgeon to make sure.
  • Beachbean77
    Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! No physical therapy. Just a very ackward walking boot lol.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Rowing? Upper body weight machines? But more importantly, I agree with the recommendation that you wait until you have ACTUAL recommendations from a physical therapist or your physician regarding what you should and shouldn't do.