Skinny person trapped in an extra squishy layer

Options
I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but I used to be very thin. I was 117lbs in high school, I had a cute little body and I was in fantastic shape. I used to walk everywhere, go to the gym 3 times a week, did yoga, played soccer and swam.

6 years have passed and I still see myself as that thin active person, but I gained 48lbs. 48lbs! Far from the freshmen 15 I was supposed to gain. My body gains weight in a very equal manner it spread itself all over fairly well. I looked at a picture of me at Christmas about a month and a half ago and then I realized that I needed to lose the weight. I could barely recognize myself. I knew I had gained weight, in some weird way I just didn't realize how much it affected the way I looked. It made me realize that it wasn't about wanting to lose it, it was about needing to lose it. I had to motivation when I started 5 weeks ago, but as I begin to see some small results, I realize that I can need to and want to lose it at the same time.

Does anyone else feel skinny when they don't look at pictures/mirrors?

Replies

• greeneyemommy
    Options
    Hello,I feel the same way you do!Before I got pregant I weighted 123-128 and its 3yrs later and I weigh 160 I still feel and think Im not as big as Iam I feel like Im the same weight I was and when I look at pictures of me now I cant belive I look like that!I use to love taking pictures but now when I do all I see is a fat face and I hate it!!.So now Im on this journey of getting healthy/getting back to feeling beautiful cause I dont feel it anymore.Feel free to add me:)
  • Iwillbe130
    Options
    I too suffer from positive body dysmorphia! I am quite curvy and at 5'6" and 130 was fit and happy. I knew I was gaining weight because I was way less active and was buying new clothes... however I still felt beautiful and loved my body. Then I went to the Dr. and they told me I weight 175 pounds!!! Holy crap how could I not notice how much I had gained?! I sat down with some of my friends who pointed out how lucky I am to be at the positive end of the body dysmorphia scale. Some women look in the mirror and all they see is fat, when I look in the mirror all I see is ME. Now that I'm concentrating on my health I have lost 15 pounds and can't wait to see what my curves look like with a little more muscle on 'em. Consider ourselves lucky!!