Working out at home??

Options
Hello! Wanted to see if anyone had any tips/ideas on working out at home.I dont have a gym membership and its to costly to start one right now.Im not very creative lol so wanted to see if maybe some of yall could help me?

Replies

• Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    get some jillian micheals dvd's (banish fat boost metabolism, 6 week 6 pack, yoga meltdown, killer buns and thighs) none of these dvd's require any equipment or weights. those are great starters and they get you results! good luck
  • LisaGaimadi
    LisaGaimadi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii as a motivator at home, and also run in place while watching tv.
    If you have an "on demand" option with your cable company, there are many really good exercise videos available there.

Good luck!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I get absolutely bored out of my mind with DVDs. You can also go to a second hand sports store like Play It Again Sports, pick up some dumbells and research some great routines for at home. BodyRock is geared for women who workout at home. Run outside; it's the best feeling in the world. Due to time and great weather; I've cut 2 of my workouts out at the gym and do it at home.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Walking and running... if you need weights... ask around (freecycle in your area!) and dvd's ... I lost all my weight without a gym!!!!
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Youtube has alot of full length workouts if u don't want to buy dvds. I've also been using my Wii and Xbox. If you have stairs you could also use them.
  • LSHANDREW
    LSHANDREW Posts: 39
    Options
    I don't have a membership for the same reasons.
    I use P90X DVDS ,bike rides,Wii dance dance and Wii Zumba. Also I found that gardening counts as a work out.
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either, I've been doing the Biggest Loser challenge on my Wii and I love it! I also do kettlebells and I have a few free weights as well.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Started out with a WiiFit to get us moving. (on sale with a tax refund)
    Got an elliptical off of craigslist for $20.
    Got a weight bench with plates/bar/dumb bells from the Penny Saver for $75. (Upgraded to Olympic bar with the following tax refund).
    Started Couch to 5K program. (free)
    BodyRock.tv (free videos)
    Netflix has some work out shows ($8/month).

Oh... pull up bar (door way kind), $15 at Wal-Mart.
    ZombieFit.org has a work out of the day, if you're interested in body weight only, functional fitness. (free)
  • CShepherd91
    Options
    Your stairs should become your best friend.

There are loads of innovative ways to do it at home now. There are youtube channels galore of DIY workouts, and if you don't mind splashing out on some money, some really good at home DVD's or games (I love Zumba!).

I don't want to join a gym, mainly because of the cost. My daily routine now consists of a 40 minute walk, followed by some muscle training and walking up and down the stairs for 5 minutes. If I feel like it in the evenin', I'll bust out Zumba! You just have to get started, and make it fit in with you.

Good luck :)
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Another low cost way to do things is to buy resistance bands, they're usually around $10 per band. You can do a lot of strength moves with them, and can get cardio by running/jogging/walking outside.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    DVDs and some light weights. Walk/run outside. I don't have a gym membership, but I did invest in a treadmill years ago.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great DVD's. I like insanity and JM Body Rev.

Also you can use equiment around your house to do workouts.
    chairs - Dips, incline pushups,
    Step stool - Step ups
    Ball - Uneven pushups, balance planks

Use water jugs, or laundy soap as a weight
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My apartment complex has a small fitness center. I use the elliptical in there. I also walk outside, use the biggest loser cardio max & cardio max weightloss videos, and even found a free zumba class to attend once a week.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    xbox kinect :) and there are all sorts of dvds and opinions you will read here also :) good luck (p.s. i workout at home everyday, on occassion i get to go to the pool)
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Also I found that gardening counts as a work out.

Oh, boy howdy, does it ever! :bigsmile: Getting the beds ready this year burned me an extra 1000+ calories per day on the days I was doing it. (BodyBugg readings)
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD (a killer!), some zumba DVDs and I also have a static bike at home. I run with my doggie most days too.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    pushups, situps, jumping jacks, squat thrusts, lunges, dips, squats...

just do 'em all in a circuit, you barely need any space.

If you have a couple dollars to spare, buy a jump rope.
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree with hollymowery! Also we like insanity work out. but I also have a crossfit training course. really cheap to make. if you google it and you can find equipment needed local areas for cheap pending on your goals
  • pachamb
    pachamb Posts: 52
    Options
    You should check out bodyrock.tv it is such an amazing site. It is a home work out movement they post new videos everyday they also post diet challenges and stuff to. I swear by there workouts I have lost 42 pounds and other than walks with my dog and bike rides with the kids and my once a week hike It is the only workouts I do. They are short and sweet but supper intense. And its 100% free.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home. I do have a treadmill to mix it up every once in a while, but I mainly do DVDs (I have over 30 different ones so I don't get bored). But having these items on hand is also good: handweights and resitance bands, jump rope, hula hoop, excercise ball, yoga mat. I get bored with workouts very easily so I need a bunch of things to keep it interesting and this has worked for me. Granted it took me quite a while to build up my inventory, but it's worth it!