In need of advice, TERRIBLE knees!!!

Options
So last night I talked to my fiance and he has seen my results and wants to start getting more fit himself. It's wonderful news! (Not that he's super bad...but could stand to lose a few)

The only problem is that I don't know how to help him start. I've been athletic and a dancer my whole life so I was able to jump right in to doing videos like Ripped in 30, 6w6p, P90X and the like. Last night he tried to join me and couldn't do even half of the activites due to his knees. (They are so bad that he can't lift his legs off the ground without bending at the knee).

Does anyone have any advice for stuff I can help him do/get him doing that won't kill his knees? I know that the more he works his knees (gradually and safely with proper technique) the better they'll get, but its not helping him stay motivated to work out when he can't keep up/do anything. Should I do the same activities with him but at a much slower pace?

Any ideas would help greatly! Thanks!!

Replies

• BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming. Yoga and pilates, modify when necessary. He can do weight training to some extent for his upper body.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Biking. Anyone can ride a bike no matter how bad the knees are.

Mine used to be awful but elliptical machine built up strength in them plus my quads and now I am running again.

Swimming if it's available :)
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    My wife has the same issues. Knee supports is one way to start. We do the Insanity workout together and her knees can not suport th impacts so we decided on some exercises she does leg lifts, crunches and low impact exercises. This way she is still there with me. Swimmingis best exercise for knee problems or biking.
  • k1ngfl1pper
    k1ngfl1pper Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 knee surgeries and was concerned about how I was going to get back in shape. The recumbent bike and the elliptical were where I started. Then I added some weight training. Then, with the help of a friend, started doing some circuit training 4x a week with a cardio day in the middle. I've dropped 50 lbs so far.
  • Johnnyutah45
    Johnnyutah45 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If his knee is bending unintentionally when he lifts it there could be a tear somewhere. He should see a doctor before he really tries anything.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both of my knees and the thing that works well for me is the Elliptical. It takes all of your weight off from your knees. Hope he gets a chance to join you.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine can actually help, although it will not be some miracle cure. I have had numerous surgeries on my rt knee and I have been taking Glucosamine with chondroitin every day for the last 6 or 7 years.

He will want to do low-impact exercises like swimming, eliptical, cycling, etc... Ice and heat will be his friend, especially at first. Start slow and build up.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I had knee problems for a while when I was dancing. Neoprene knee braces were a life saver! They provided the support I needed while still allowing the muscles around my knees to strengthen themselves.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Before my ACL replacement I was advised to cycle as much as I could.

Elliptical and swimming are great exercises for bad knees. For home based exercises, get a gym ball, there are so many exercises that use a gym ball. I spent many an hour in physio working on my knees post op bouncing up and down on a gym ball one way or another.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    Water Aerobics, reduce the weight the knees have to support with water resistance workouts. Start with that, with less body weight, your knees can handle more
  • jeanie_ca
    jeanie_ca Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I sprained my knee pretty badly last year. My ortho had me do stationary biking to strengthen the surrounding muscles to stabilize the knee. She also suggested higher resistance at fewer rpms since you are trying to build muscle. Also "running" on the elliptical (lower ramp and higher resistance) worked for me; less impact than treadmill. Good luck!
  • r3d13
    r3d13 Posts: 139
    Options
    I have horrible knees. Two Knees surgeries and still need more. When I first started my knees killed me. So I starting walking everyday. I tried to do 2 miles and then tried to do it faster the next day and so on. Then I started doing the 30 Day Shred with all the easier moves since I could not do the hard ones as my knees were really weak. After about 4 weeks my knees were much better and I don't have a lot of issues with them anymore. I also made sure to get a lot of protein in my diet and there were times that I would soak in a bath with Epson salt because I hurt so bad. Along with taking Aleve when it got really bad. (Mind you, these are some of the things my doc told me would help). I also have a desk job during the day so I would do knee exercises every hour to assist with building the muscle up around my knees. Here is a link that I found to show some of the exercises that I did. http://www.bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html I hope this helps.
  • beechmom1
    Options
    He definitely should see a doctor or physical therapist. Also just for those that are feeling knee pains a lot of the times it is a tight IT band and not necessarily knee probs. But his sounds like knee probs. For tight IT bands a foam roller is the greatest thing ever. You can google tight IT bands and foam roller exercises and there are some videos and what to do. Good luck. Tell him to go see the doctor.
  • gafrausto
    gafrausto Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with Johnyutah...he should get a check up before beating on those knees to be on the safe side. Until then there are many upper body exercises that he can do along with the eliptical, bike, swimming, modified yoga/pilates.

Hope all goes well and just by you asking, I know he's getting the support he needs.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I have had two total knee replacements. i put them off for many years by taking better care of them. Swimming is excellent, elliptical biking. no walking on pavement, that just eats your knees up. Also isometric exercising will build the muscles around the knee and offfer more support. do nothing that creates a "pounding" on the knee, no impact. also, glucosamine does help, it takes a few weeks but if the knees aren't to terrible it does assist.

i also found the shoes are extremely important. I have switched to "shocks" and I love them. A little pricey, but they last a long time and really gave me relief.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have torn my ACL in my left knee and my right knee has ligament damage as well, so I know hoe he feels. LOW IMPACT at first.

Punching bag, walking, and swimming is what I do.

To get my knees stronger I have been doing lunges and squats slowly. They aren't popping as bad so I know they are getting stronger.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I started 30 DS and other workouts back in September last year and my hubby was just watching but then realizing how much my body changed and how I lost weight. He then noticed that I could even do lunges and squats although I was waiting for an appointment to get a knee op done. My tendons and ligaments arre so strong now that I don't need surgery anymore.
    Hubby wanted to join me but since he was quite unfit and is on heart meds I thought oh, oh.......
    I started him on 30 DS level one and asked him to replace anything that made him feel uncomfortable. I joined him and put on ankle weights and did everything with higher intensity. He can't do lunges and so I found something else to replace with.
    Today he is so happy: he is already on 30 DS level 3 and has joined me doing JMs No more trouble zones. He loves exercising abs and anything with weights.
    Give him the chance to catch up with you. It's so motivating for my hubby to see that he can do almost the same as I do. He has even bought new runners and has asked me to join him in training for a 5K. I'm already fit enough for a 5K but I join him because it is good exercise for me.
    Good luck to the both of you:flowerforyou:
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    The same as what everybody else said. Also you could get him a knee brace. I had to use it until my knees strenghted up. I yall are doing the same workout, don't hold back because of him. He will know it and it will make him feel less motivatied. Just my humble opinion.
  • cmreimer
    cmreimer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery for an ACL tear a few years ago. My PT had me on the stationary bike for quite a while before progressing to swimming, then eventually walking. A big part physical therapy was building up the muscles around the knees, I would really suggest looking into a similar approach. (I'm sorry that's vague, I can't fully remember my routine. Maybe you could google that.)
    I know from being a runner that if you haven't exercised for a while, it initially is hard on the knees, but as you stick with it the exercise actually provides lubrication and they don't hurt after a while. I've seen a few people mention the 30 day shred; I'd totally recommend that. Any exercise can be modified. I love Jillian Michael's comment, "I've got 400 pound people doing jumping jacks...so can you!" Good luck. :)