Too much protein?

Options
Is it bad to eat over your daily goal for protein, even if it's low-fat turkey, chicken or fish?

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard the protein default on here is really low and it's definitely not bad to go over.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    not at all, Most people do not get enough in their daily diet. MFP sets it quite low as well. Protein keeps you full and helps prevent muscle breakdown in a caloric deficit.
  • burkhale
    burkhale Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over my daily protein but I am a male and do strength training a few time a week. I have read that too much protein can be harmful but you have to consume a LOT more than recommended though. I found this guide to protein that may be helpful:
    "Protein requirements are complicated because the amount we need changes with age.
    Infants require about 10 grams a day.
    Teenage boys need up to 52 grams a day.
    Teenage girls need 46 grams a day.
    Adult men need about 56 grams a day.
    Adult women need about 46 grams a day.
    One important exception is pregnant or lactating women, when the recommended intake rises to 71 grams of protein a day.

Another way to count protein requirements is as a percentage of calories. The USDA's MyPyramid plan suggests that protein make up between 17% to 21% percent of total calories. The Institute of Medicine recommends we get at least 10% and no more than 35% of calories from protein.
    Protein shortfall could mean trouble. Protein is important to many physiological functions, from building muscle and bone to keeping cells in good working order.

Recent studies suggest that protein makes a meal more satiating, which in turn could help people maintain a healthy weight. Indeed, a 2005 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that increasing protein from 15% to 30% of total calories -- and reducing fat from 35% to 20% of calories -- resulted in sustained weight loss."
    Hope this is helpful.
  • Thenewhm
    Thenewhm Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, it is bad... But it also depends on how much you are over... What is your daily allowance for calories and how much protein are you trying to take in?
    I was on a strict diet plan and working with a personal trainer... He gave me a great diet plan to follow, but I thought I know better than he... (who knew????) So I thought if I beefed up my daily protein intake that it was a good thing... Turns out that even a professional hard core body builder wouldn't intake as much as I was. I was having all kinds of crazy physical symptoms. Spent TOO much on doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me... Turns out it was too much protein in my diet. A very simple fix.. So yes, too much can be a bad thing. A little too much is OK... But if you are not burning off the protein you are taking in than it will cause you to bulk up and gain weight... Keep it well balanced and you will be safe... But it all depends on your age, weight, goal, and daily workout routine... Hope that helps... :-)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about eating too much protein. The only time you can really harm yourself (kidneys) is if you're eating like 500g of protein in one sitting. You really have to force yourself to eat too much.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    According to ancient Norse myth, excess protein turned into fat. Since then, science has proven otherwise.
  • LeanLifestyle
    Options
    For every health advice lies pack of myths that lack proper research. So just remember this golden rule, no one is made to be the same and so its up to you to experiment and to find out what works best for you, so if your consuming too much protein lay off the protein and replace the calories with calories from fat for example. At the end of the day no matter its not where you get your calories its how much of the calories that you actually consume which makes the difference on weight.

:)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    For every health advice lies pack of myths that lack proper research. So just remember this golden rule, no one is made to be the same and so its up to you to experiment and to find out what works best for you, so if your consuming too much protein lay off the protein and replace the calories with calories from fat for example. At the end of the day no matter its not where you get your calories its how much of the calories that you actually consume which makes the difference on weight.

:)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • LeanLifestyle
    Options
    'For every health advice lies pack of myths that lack proper research' (Han, 1990, p.12)