FitBit, is it worth it?

SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
I was thinking about getting one to see what my actual calorie expenditure was every day.... But at a price tag of $100, is it worth it? If so, where can I find one other than online?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Amazon.com carries it for cheaper than the actual fiftbit site. A week or so the blue one was about $10 cheaper than the purple one.

I love mine and think it is worth every penny!
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    I really like my fitbit too!
  • flbutler
    flbutler Posts: 26
    I have had mine for about 3 weeks and absolutey love it! I do have a competitive side to me!
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 227 Member
    I am ordering mine today.. let's do it!!
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    I have one and I do really like it but after wearing it for several weeks I feel like I now have a pretty good idea of how much I burn during my daily routine and what I need to do to get my activity level to where it needs to be. So I have actually been thinking of lending it to a friend and/or selling it on Ebay. You might check Ebay to see if others are selling theirs.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Does FitBit have a montly fee like BodyBugg?
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    seems like a glorified pedometer IMHO ..... you're better spending your money on a HRM
  • I actually decided against the fit-bit and got body media instead. The fit bit tracks your steps, and sleep, but Body Media does all that, and it has sensors that can tell you more accurately what you burn per day. Check out the website (Bodymedia.com). You can compare it to other devices like the fit-bit! and I bought mine for a lot cheaper than on the Body Media Website, at Amazon. After having it for only a few days, i am glad I went with the body media!
  • ourmamros
    ourmamros Posts: 21 Member
    Hi
    I do love my fitbit as it encourages me to move more. However i synched it with MFP and between them they are baffling me. I have had several days where i have synched them early evening, get told i have so many calories to use. However when i look back on it from the next day the numbers will have changed and it will say i have eaten more calories than i have burned. I have looked at threads taking about this but I know I am still not grasping it. I also find the fitbit does not last the 5 - 7 days without charging. I have to do mine every three days. i am thinking ot trying to stop it synching with MFP as it just confuses me. Howeve i will still use it to push me to increase those steps or floor walked every day.
  • bebreli
    seems like a glorified pedometer IMHO ..... you're better spending your money on a HRM

I said that to my husband too but it depends on what you are looking for. I am a SAHM and I don't get a lot of workout time. In researching, a HRM isn't effective with everything like strength training where the fitbit won't be either. I say do your research. Many people actually have both. I want to know what I am doing all day long (which includes LOTS of stairs and walking) so it is the answer for me.

I forgot to mention to the OP - check out Amazon fitbit has almost 900 reviews. Do your research :o)
  • athenna1869
    athenna1869 Posts: 26 Member
    My husband & I both have Fitbits, and we love them! We compete for steps taken & stairs climbed in a day, and as silly as the badges are it's good motivation to try to earn them. I also love that you can gauge your sleeping habits. Plus the customer service is Fabulous!!! The site is free to use and you can log & track tons of stuff. (ie,mood, allergies, HR, BP etc)
  • bebreli
    Hi
    I do love my fitbit as it encourages me to move more. However i synched it with MFP and between them they are baffling me. I have had several days where i have synched them early evening, get told i have so many calories to use. However when i look back on it from the next day the numbers will have changed and it will say i have eaten more calories than i have burned. I have looked at threads taking about this but I know I am still not grasping it. I also find the fitbit does not last the 5 - 7 days without charging. I have to do mine every three days. i am thinking ot trying to stop it synching with MFP as it just confuses me. Howeve i will still use it to push me to increase those steps or floor walked every day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users

Join this group they are super helpful with answering questions and if you post it there I bet you will get the info you need :o)
  • kjdhappy
    kjdhappy Posts: 10 Member
    Summer is coming, I don't like walking around in short sleeves and having a HRM on my arm - at least the Fitbit doesn't show and it's motivating. You can join challenges & earn prizes on earnedit.com to make it more fun. I'm sure the HRM is more accurate.
  • Heidbummer
    Heidbummer Posts: 19 Member
    I think its worth it. It uploads your stuff to the web, so you can see a 30 day record, integrates well with MFP, which other similar type products don't. I find it very motivational. There is no charge once you've got it unless you upgrade to the fitbit trainer, but I don't think I'd get the benefit of that.

You'd probably want to go HRM if you are into serious training and fitness, but if you just want to get more active and lose weight in general, I'd have no hesitation in recommending fitbit.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    I do have a HRM already.... but I don't think I'd find it comfortable to wear all day....but maybe I should just do that lol
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I love my BodyMedia Fit Link and it gives a lot more accurate data than the FitBit. If you want an all day monitor, I seriously suggest the BMFL or the BodyBugg. The monthly subscription is very much worth it. I've had mine a couple weeks... Was plateaued before I got it. Have lost over 6 pounds when I adjusted for the personal burn numbers it gave me.

FitBit is really dependent on preset algorithms, where the BMFL or the BodyBugg measure the heat you personally give off and record your calorie burns specifically for you instead of based on the math of things. The sleep monitoring I have with my BMFL isn't dependent on arm movement like the FitBit, and has really helped as well.

I guess it really depends on how much data you want. If you're going to spend over 100 bucks I'd definitely go with a device like mine, since they are rated the one of the most accurate measures of burns that you can take home.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I do have a HRM already.... but I don't think I'd find it comfortable to wear all day....but maybe I should just do that lol

This won't work unless it's made for this purpose. Most HRMs are only intended for wear during workouts and won't give an accurate burn count for the whole day.
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Like anything, it is all personal experience/opinion. I have been using my fitbit for 2 months now and when it almost fell down a crack in a bridge the other day, I had to truly contemplate whether I would get another one if it was lost. The answer is YES, I would truly miss having it and spend another $100 on a replacement. The fitbit has encouraged me to be more active than I have been in years. I am motivated to consistently top the day before in steps and miles travelled. Although HRM's are probably more accurate for calories burned during workouts, FITBIT adjusts your calories if you haven't given yourself enough credit on logged activities in MFP. Anything that gives you more incentive to keep moving and be more active gets my vote.
  • sprtz
    sprtz Posts: 15 Member
    Was wondering if you own an HRM? I've been doing some reading on it an curious if it works well.
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    I love my FitBit! I have worn my Fitbit and HRM when working out and the calories reported by fitbit were very close to the HRM, slightly under but not by enough to be worried about it. Both numbers were far different (below) MFP. I have been able to consistently lose weight using MFP and Fitbit together and that is my goal so I feel like it is a good purchase for me.