Mcdonalds.

Options

Replies

• mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I do get McDonalds, I order the grilled chicken snack wrap. They are pretty tasty for fast food.
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Oh, and if you get fries, get a small...that's the size they used to be when Americans were skinny. It's not that McDonald's is bad, it's that the portions are out of line with what a body NEEDS. Get the small things and it's cheap, easy-to-find, mediocre food that's just fine for you.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I always get the Thai salad with grilled chicken. It comes with dressing but I find that you don't need any as the chicken is saucy enough so its only 250 cals.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I go to McDonalds I get the Mac Snack Wrap. 360 calories, lets me feel like I'm eating a cheeseburger and is filling enough to be a meal for me.
  • TomTommietje
    Options
    For me I get a grilled chicken ceasar salad and 6 chicken nuggets
  • Raquelx90
    Raquelx90 Posts: 24
    Options
    There are a decent number of healthy options at McDonald's, calories wise. I go there once or twice a week for lunch or dinner. After an hour of moderate/intense cardio and strength training, I'm tired and some nights I don't feel up to cooking.

The only downsides are that it is somewhat costly if you go on a regular basis. Not to mention the sodium (!) in most of the items. Sometimes just one or two items will send you more than halfway over your sodium goal for the day.

*Grilled Chicken Snack Wraps
    *Grilled Chicken Sandwiches (No mayo, no bacon and no bun to cut extra calories)
    *Premium Chicken Salads (Grilled, no croutons/corn chips/dressing to cut extra calories)
    *Side Salad

That's pretty much it.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I feel inclined to answer since I'm inside a McDonald's in my profile picture. I don't actually eat there very often, but I think a regular hamburger with apple slices and water is an okay meal.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've always hated McDonald's food, but in recent years I've ended up there and discovered something really good. I love their Southwest salad with grilled chicken. You don't need the dressing, but I usually have at least 1/2 of the dressing with my salad. I find it very filling.
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I have had to go there recently, I've gotten the oatmeal with fruit and no brown sugar. It's pretty good I guess.
  • kiranicsmom
    kiranicsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If I have to do McDonald's, which I try to avoid at all costs, I get the grilled chicken, bacon "ranch" salad. I substitute the low fat vinaigrette dressing and don't eat the croutons. It ends up being about 300 calories total but it is HIGH in sodium from the dressing and the chicken seasoning.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My 6th grade students are doing a health project where they are comparing McDs to BK in regards to menu items (along with several other fast food restaurants in our area). Having printed off all the nutritional information for both, I can say with all honesty that NOTHING at those restaurants is good to eat, even the salads.

Even without consideration for calories, the food contains high sodium and mystery ingredients I don't want to eat.

The best choice is to eat foods brought from home.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    McDonalds isn't out of the question. Eat what fits your calories and macronutrients. It's not healthy or unhealthy. Similarly, no one meal is healthy or unhealthy. What matters is the bigger picture. My advice? Eat what you want there AS LONG AS IT FITS YOUR CALORIES AND MACROS. That's it. Don't go to McDonalds and try to eat "healthy." Enjoy yourself. Unless you're eating at McDonalds every single day, the choice won't make a lick of difference. Seriously, are you going to go there and order a sandwich or salad with next to nothing? You're going to pay a premium for bland food? Sounds silly.
  • norse1965
    norse1965 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is like this...

Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug.. For me personally, I can get suckered into buying the wrong things because the smell.. oh those fries.. then you've got those McFlurries.. OH and last year, those darn frozen Stawberry Lemonades.. GAH! So I just skip it.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be anything "out of the question" at McDonald's. Use the nutrition guide they offer and plan ahead.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why would anything ever be out of the question?
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If I am having a burger craving I usually get a hamburger and a side salad
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am a manager at McDonald's... I get free food but I only eat healthier things. The grilled chicken sandwiches without sauce are ok...they are very filling...a hamburger add tomato and lettuce is not bad. I get the salads but i dont get any chicken on my salads...oatmeal, egg mcmuffins no cheese. I never eat the fries. We have fruit salads . I stay away from even the fruit parfait...the sugar is ridiculous. The grilled chicken wraps are very good but the sauce alone is a good 50 calories, so i subsitute with mustard and add tomatoe to make it more filling. The fish sandwich is the only thing I splurge on and it's 380 calories. Taking away sauces and cheese, and adding more veggies is a good way to make things less fattening and less calories and make things more filling. But stay away from the fries, shakes, frappes, fried chickens... The shakes are possibly the worst thing on the menu...along with some of the breakfasts choices... Always ask for nutritional information...it's on the back of the tray liners.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've always hated McDonald's food, but in recent years I've ended up there and discovered something really good. I love their Southwest salad with grilled chicken. You don't need the dressing, but I usually have at least 1/2 of the dressing with my salad. I find it very filling.

This is my favorite thing as well.... But I get no chicken and use half a packet of dressing:)
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    If you were only going once a year I'd say eat what you like and enjoy it. But it worries me that you say you have to eat there because it's the only place near your work- does that mean you'll be eating there five days a week? I don't think that would be great for you, whatever meal you chose.

Could you bring lunch in from home instead?
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    4 piece chicken nugget kids meal with a diet drink is just under 300 calories. Thats what I eat when I don't have another option.

That's what I do, too.