Anyone fit for the first time in their life?

Options
taso42
taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
I know a lot of folks here are "fit again". They were active in high school or maybe college, then for whatever reason got out of shape and overweight; and now are back on track again. Then there are others like me, who were never active until recent years. I can still remember the anxiety I would feel when they would make us run in gym class or test us on pull ups. It took me till I was in my 30's to get in shape.

If you are fit now, are you fit for the first time in your life, or are you trying to get back to where you once were?

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm a "fit again" type. I've always been "solid" (body frame), but in high school I was 2nd-team all-state swimming. Would love to get back to that level of fitness and physique. I do have to say though, that i never was a runner until the last 3-4 years. I went from barely a mile, to 10-milers, and 1/2 marathons. So I guess I'm kind of a mix - I was fit in a different way before...
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Fit and skinny for the first time! Why did I wait so long? It rocks!
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    round two ding ding !!
    I'm trying to get back to how fit and hot I was 7 years ago !
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I ever was "fit". I have always been very strong but my cardio capacity has been very low since I took up smoking at the ripe age of 14 *face palm*

It's pretty great to be pushing 40 and to NOT be wrecked after a day of skiing or a long hike. I sure wish I had quit smoking (or never started - oy) and got on the fitness wagon a lot sooner. Better late than never, eh? :wink:
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Fit for the first time in my life and I feel better than I ever have. I started working out for the first time a little over 2 years ago after my son was born. Both my prom and wedding dresses= size 12. Today, I am in a size 8!! Working out makes all the difference!!
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Neither at the moment but am working on being fit again. I do not think I will ever be fit like I was in my 20's but will hopefully be much fitter than I have been in the last 30+ years. I realize that at 55 I will never have that young youthful body I once did but I will be damned if I am not going to strive for as fit as possible. I know I can look great again.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have never been fit or thin. Still working on both but I'm closer than I've ever been before.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Let's ignore what's going on with me right now and talk about 2011. When I finally hit a healthy weight and could run and lift and all that...that was the first time in my life. I was always the chubby one, verging on obese and eventually I was the obese one. I currently weigh less than I did in high school. Also, I couldn't even walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded and I certainly couldn't do a push-up when I was 16.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between the two... Was a really active kid, played field hockey my freshman year of high school and biked/walked everywhere in the summer. Around age 17, I started getting lazier and did more emotional eating and the pounds started packing on. By the time I graduated high school, I was bordering on obese.

Now, about twenty years later, I would say that I'm a bit more fit than I was back then. The activity level is probably about the same, (maybe a little higher or at least more scheduled) but I do a larger variety of activities and now include strength training on a regular basis. This is actually why I'm not sure about my formal goal weight just yet. I used to be in the 140's most of my teen years and felt pretty good about my figure but I'm not sure I could get that low again due to more muscle mass. Eh, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself fit just yet, but I AM fitter than I've ever been before, and working to improve even more. I was literally the last person picked for teams in PE in school. Couldn't run a full lap around the track. When the military recruiter called my senior year, I told him I avoided physical activity and he hung up. LOL. This is the first time in my life that I've actually realized I am CAPABLE of being active and fit and not just genetically predispositioned to being a frumpy lazy couch potato. It feels so good to be able to move my body in ways I didn't think it could move. Before MFP you never would have convinced me that I could do an hour workout and feel great afterward, and you certainly would have never seen my biceps before. This is a whole new life for me. Back in November I was struggling to workout with 3 lb weights, now just today I went and bought 20 and 25 lb weights to bump up my workout. I never would have imagined that a year ago. Back in November I was struggling to do girly pushups, just last week I discovered I can do military style, maybe only a few right now but the point is I can DO it for the first time ever, and I'm only going to get better at it now that I know I can do better.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Fit again. Was an athlete throughout high school and after a series of three injuries in two years and an increase of booze consumption after my 21st bday my weight skyrocketed up 35 lbs. I am now working on being even fitter than I used to be!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely "most fit" for the first time. I've never actually combined eating well / lifting / and being in decent cardio shape. I've never been in decent cardio shape before actually. I lifted heavy in college but ate like crap. I got skinny after my 2nd kid but didn't exercise. Now I do all 3.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I entered a competition and won a year's gym membership about 5 years ago. I used the prize to it's fullest ability and capacity. Everyone in the gym knew me by name :laugh: I had 4 kids then and was very fit, even if I say so myself :laugh: then I got pregnant with number 5 (just before my membership ended).

I started fitness again when he turned 6 months old. I think I'm reasonably fit except for my big belly which is my bugbear. Get the belly down then I'll be ace :drinker:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Was never fit before and also was one of the kids who was scared of running or swimming (my high school had a pool) and embarrassed to try any activity in PE except I was pretty good at volleyball and I loved to ride bicycles and horses. So I am definitely more fit now- and have been working towards it for a good amount of time. Working out is a regular part of my week and I'm no longer embarrassed :smokin:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been thin, fairly active and/or considerably strong before (usually not all at the same time, though), but this is the first time I've been athletic and fit.
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am fit for the first time in my life. I was always active as a teen but just carried anywhere between 30 to 70 extra ponds in my life. I always said that I was just a big girl. My family are big people. I never realized that it was earring habits not genes that made us that way. For the first ime in my adult life I am in a paint size that I thought that I didn't have the bone structure to fit into. Turns out I'm not oddly built at all( actually pretty attractive) this new adventure has been so wonderful and eye opening for me.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

I feel so awesome!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I would have to say this is the first time in my life that I've been truly fit! I was always a very thin child, who at whatever I wanted! LOL I hated gym class and never did sports. I couldn't run to save my life.

While I'm not as skinny as I was at 18 years old, I am in much better cardiovascular shape! :) Yay for fitness!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had a period about 10 years ago where I was the fittest I had been in my life until then. I was very active in martial arts and yoga, and some weight training. I was certainly my leanest then. Grad school pretty much wrecked that for me and now I am fit again, this time a much stronger (SL 5x5) but not quite as lean fit. I am also eating much better now and feel relatively healthy compared to most the rest of my life.
  • pandajade
    Options
    Hello :)

I am, became a non-smoker 2 weeks ago (and going strong) plus I never really used to excersise. So now, i'm working out, without the use of the gym as well, its free to run in the park and on the street and basically just doing my weights at home.
    It feels amazing though! :D

Rachel