Share your gluten/wheat free meal ideas please =)

Options
raisingbabyk
raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
Hey friends,
I'm hoping to start trying a gluten/wheat free diet since I think it may be the cause of some of my stomach problems. It can seem a little overwhelming to cut it all out so I'm looking for some meal ideas (breakfasts/lunch/dinners) that you eat that would be easy to make for my family :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would make sure that you need to give up gluten. I have celiac disease and definitely had to give it up. Work with your doctor to make sure this is the direction you should go.....For one, it is very expensive to go gluten free and if you have a large family, it could add up. Once you find out, I will be glad to helof you with some recipes.....
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bakes wheat free bread for me but we also buy pasta and bread made with rice. So life isn't so drastically different.

Goggle cauliflower pizza recipe. I've tried it, it's pretty good. There is no flour in the dough, just cauliflower and cheese.
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    hmmm. i'd get tested before i started cutting it out, because if it is the cause of any problems, whether you eat a little or a lot, it will cause the same problems - at least in my case.

when i first got diagnosed i was freaking out, wondering what the hell i could eat. the good thing is, a lot of things are naturally gluten free - fruits, veggies, meats etc. not sure where you are, but america has a lot more gluten free things than australia (where i am from) in like snacks, frozen meals, breads etc.

i am not a very good cook, but i rock a mean ratatouille. a friend of mine gave me the recipe and i changed / added things and now it doesnt really resemble ratatouille, but i love love love it.

friends recipe:

eggplant, zucchuni, capsicum, red onion, cherry tomatoes, diced tomatoes (canned), tomato sauce (like pasta sauce, but plain), basil, garlic (fresh or dried), olive oil.. i think thats it. basically just chop everything up in little or big pieces (i like big) in a baking dish, chuck in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil and garlic and olive oil and shove in the oven for like 40 minutes. you cant really overcook it. generally, i use 1 large eggplant, 2 medium zucchunis, like 5 capsicum (LOVE), 2 punnets of cherry tomatoes, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 2 cans of tomato sauce and a **** ton of garlic and basil. just a splash of olive oil. it makes a LOT though, and this is normally like my lunch for the whole week (i freeze it).

my additions to the above are: quinoa, chickpeas and lentils. i just cook them separately and mix it all in together at the end.

annnyywho if you like veggies, which i do, you might like this. i love it. when i cook for family or friends, i normally give this to them as a side as most people want meat or something (i grill some chicken for the boy when i cook it) but i like it on its own.

anyway, hope this helps!!
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    when you first cut it out it seems so overwhelming because EVERYTHING seems to have gluten in it... but if you can make things yourself from scratch you really wont be paying much extra (even with a big family) and you can buy gluten free options (more expensive) for most gluten items quite readily now.

After a while it just becomes second nature and really very easy to do.

I cook the same food I used to cook for dinner before I went GF. I make my own sauces and gravys now though (using GF cornflour) if its a pasta dish I use rice pasta. I also no longer buy meal bases I make it all from scratch it's easier and I enjoy the creating.

Lunches are a bit harder.. I eat a lot of salads, or make up a big batch of soup to freeze meals for lunch.. I dont normally eat GF bread (never gotten used to it) so sandwiches are out. GF wraps are ok you just need to warm them first to make them more pliable. If I'm feeling lazy I'll just chop of a plate of cheese and vegies/fruits/meat and have that.

For breakfast I make bacon and eggs most mornings (fried, scrambled, mini quiches etc). You can buy GF cereals tho and you may be one of the lucky ones who can eat oats. Also greek yoghurt and fruit/nuts is good.

I'm a stay at home mum so I have the luxury of being able to spend a lot of time preparing food.. if you dont have that time I really suggest looking for recipes you can prepare in advance.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have allergies to wheat, corn and soy ... Plus am diabetic, so I might as well be allergic to rice and potatoes!
    Breakfast - eggs, bacon, sausage ... Protein powder pancakes ... Smoothies
    Lunch -any "normal" sandwich fixings can be rolled in lettuce ... Homemade soups (canned soups have gluten)
    Dinner - I replace pasta with spaghetti squash, zucchini "ribbons" Would like to try shirataki noodles, but the local stores only carry soy versions and I haven't been willing to buy a case of non-soy ones online without knowing if I like it.

Fish/ chicken can be breaded with alternative flours - I like coconut and almond flour but am not a huge fan of flax. Ground almond or shredded Parmesan cheese also make great coating.

I haven't experimented much with gluten-free desserts. Most baking mixes have replaced the wheat with soy, or the recipe has too many carbs for a diabetic meal plan. Dark chocolate works for me.

For recipe ideas, I visit websites concentrating on clean or low- carb eating. Atkins, South Beach, primal/ paleo are all great sources of ideas. I haven't found eating wheat-free to be any more expensive, but I'm not trying to buy replacements for my old favorite foods. Most processed food is not wheat/ gluten -free
  • fatladysings72
    Options
    Some meals that work for me and my family (I'm the only Celiac's person in my house)
    1.BBQ chicken breast, yellow rice and broccoli or salad
    2.chicken or pork tacos on corn tortillas (hard or soft), make your own taco mix (salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder)
    3.Pork chops, baked "fried" apples, green beans
    4.chicken rice, and carrot soup with salad
    5.Hearty beef and potato casserole (layer in 9x12 pan- cooked potatoes diced(you can microwave them), 1 lb ground beef or pork cooked with sauteed onions, 1 large tomato diced (can use canned), 1 bag frozen broccoli (cooked), 1 can gluten free cream of mushroom soup(or make your own), and 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Just stir the soup and cheese together then dollop across the top of the layered food until all is used up. Then sprinkle the top with cheese. Bake for 30mins on 350!
    6.Breakfast bake similar to prior casserole except layer cooked potatoes, then pour egg mixture (eggs,real bacon bits, onion, green pepper, tomato,(Sausage if you don't like bacon), and a splash of milk) over the potatoes, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 minutes on 350. Serve with Bisquick gluten free biscuits.

Here is just some of my recipes.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Some meals that work for me and my family (I'm the only Celiac's person in my house)
    1.BBQ chicken breast, yellow rice and broccoli or salad
    2.chicken or pork tacos on corn tortillas (hard or soft), make your own taco mix (salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder)
    3.Pork chops, baked "fried" apples, green beans
    4.chicken rice, and carrot soup with salad
    5.Hearty beef and potato casserole (layer in 9x12 pan- cooked potatoes diced(you can microwave them), 1 lb ground beef or pork cooked with sauteed onions, 1 large tomato diced (can use canned), 1 bag frozen broccoli (cooked), 1 can gluten free cream of mushroom soup(or make your own), and 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Just stir the soup and cheese together then dollop across the top of the layered food until all is used up. Then sprinkle the top with cheese. Bake for 30mins on 350!
    6.Breakfast bake similar to prior casserole except layer cooked potatoes, then pour egg mixture (eggs,real bacon bits, onion, green pepper, tomato,(Sausage if you don't like bacon), and a splash of milk) over the potatoes, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 minutes on 350. Serve with Bisquick gluten free biscuits.

Here is just some of my recipes.

Thank you!!

And to all the above comments about being tested, I have before and I am not celiac. I am reading the Wheat Belly book and want to try it to see what kind of difference it makes for me.
  • samsonite7
    Options
    Good Luck on your GLuten Free Adventure!! I tried that at the end of last year for something i am trying to manage, but alas it was not my thing.
    As far as recipes went, i just substituted all the wheat ingredients for those which didnt have wheat. Its pretty easy to eat whole foods, and make your meals gluten free. BUT, its harder to make your own bread (costly) and sweet snacks(which we are all trying to stay away from anyways...but..!!)
    I ate lots of quinoa, rice, rice pasta, spinach pasta, a couple of brands of store bought gluten free bagels and breads. It really wasnt bad at all. It's mainly costly. And like another member said, all the fruits, veggies and meat are worry free!!

A couple of things to look out for, Soy sauce (most contain wheat), sushi (some of the stocks used to make the rice contain wheat), soup bases (most contain wheat).

I read a great book when i was starting out by Elizabeth Hassleback (from survivor). Its a GREAT intro to all the stuff to look out for. http://www.gfreediet.com/

I wish you lots of luck, and hope that you have found the solution to your problem!!
  • Rockerchick77
    Options
    I agree with all of this great info. Make sure you need to be gluten free and why. If it's an intolerance vs celiac disease...etc.

My best suggestion--and this is really just a great tip for eating healthy. Stick to the outside edge of the grocery store. Then you are getting your produce, meats, and dairy. Next ask your grocery store if they have a gluten free section--that's where you will find your best selection typically for gluten free pastas and breads. Many times this gluten free section will be in the "natural food" isle. Stores are getting much, much better than they use to be (I have been gluten free for over 7yrs).

Also, be very weary when going out to eat. Cross contamination can and does happen often. Usually it is simply because of unknowledgable dining staff. For example-cooking your steak on the same grill as where they toast garlic bread is a huge no-no, seasonings is also a big stopper. Check out gluten free websites (there's too many to list) for other great tips.

I wish you well :-)
  • btorgy
    btorgy Posts: 2
    Options
    check out the gluten free goddess for excellent gluten free meal ideas.