Now fit enough for air ambulance... I think!

Options
I posted this yesterday in my Emergency Worker group but I don't think all my friends could access it so I'm reposting it here...

About 3 years ago I applied to join the air ambulance team here in Cornwall, UK. At the time I was what I considered average fitness & weight for my size. Part of the assessment was to run a mile in 9 minutes. I did a little bit of training & as that went well I happily (but nervously!) turned up for the physical. We had a clinical scenario on which I scored really high, did the required lifting tests then headed for the run only to discover that we were expected to run on a wet, muddy playing field which had a slight incline on it! Brilliant! I was one of only two women who applied & my colleague gave up half way round, got nebulised then went home! So - I came in with a time of 9:38 & nearly collapsed!! I went on to complete the swim assessment but of course that was worthless...

Since then I have been travelling & have definately gained a few pounds! (I didn't own a set of scales before MFP!) Last year I was the first woman to join the motorbike response team & have ticked along quite nicely. Last week, the Trust advertised for the air ambulance again, and naturally I was interested! The fitness test is the same - only this time I've been running for a few weeks using Couch to 5k! As a test of how much work I have to do, I ran hell for leather for a mile a couple of days ago and was delighted to come in at 8:42!

I'm not sure I want to actually join the team, though as it will mean not riding the motorbike - & I love that! (Apparently you don't actually get to 'drive' the helicopter!) I am going to apply though - if only to turn up to the physical assessment & storm the run!!

Replies

• EmDrake13
    EmDrake13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new time, and I think, even if you don't wish to join the team, your instinct is right - There's a run that needs to be shown who's boss! Have fun storming the castle!!!
  • clareshard1
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story,, you really work hard at this and its paid off for you in so many ways. You have got new goals which may or may not include the air ambulance role,, but you seem to have gained a whole lot of insight into what makes you tick which is invaluable . Good luck in whatever you choose to do,, I am sure you are going to be an assett to any team you join as you are detemined and focussed on succeeding!
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good job. Definitely a success story. Let us know how you do in the assessment.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    fantastic news, see the hard work pays off and it;s great to have a goal, very well done to you sarah
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Had to get a recommendation form signed by my boss. Needless to say he wasn't very supportive as 'they spent a lot of money training me to ride the bike...'.

I told him I'm 99% sure I want to stay on the bikes - I just need to prove I could do the helicopter if I wanted. I don't think he's convinced though! Managers eh?!
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Today I ran my mile on damp grass & came in with a time of 8:52!! That'll do on the day but I know I've got a better one in me! This time I managed to follow it up with a 3 mile jog as per my Couch to 5k program. Now I feel EPIC!! 😃😃😃
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Another 8:51 mile today as part of my 5k run.

I've got through to the next stage (just confirmation that I spelled my name right on the form!) so got some feedback forms to hand out to colleagues & should get to choose 1 of 3 days for the fitness test... Bring it on!!
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Well - don't get to choose a day... But it's next Tuesday!! Better get some more practice in!!
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Today's mile 8:30 :)
  • girliegirl3773
    girliegirl3773 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! You can do this!
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Today's mile 8:42 on wet grass!
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Big day tomorrow & joy of joys - its raining! Just to make that field a little muddier & heavier! Still, it's due to clear a bit later I think.

:)
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Woo - hoo!!

8:52 for the mile on the day!! Swim was fine... Lifting test was hard but passed it!!

Thanks for everyone's encouragement!! :D
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just read your story and follow up and big CONGRATULATIONS to you!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    You're doing awesome - keep it up! :drinker:
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    Way to Go!!!!
  • paramedicsarah
    Options
    Well, after some deliberation, I have withdrawn my application.

The long term fitness required for the four years secondment is quite daunting & I have decided that the increased risk of injury isn't worth it. I'm really happy that I did so well in the run & took 40 seconds off my previous attempt & I'm enjoying the biking so much!

:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!