Portion control problems! help!

Options
So recently i've been trying to eat fresh fruit, meat, vegetables and things that aren't packaged. But every time i try to search these items for a calorie count, it comes up with measurements in ounces or grams, not just quantity (i.e. one fillet). And even if I do find the weight, i usually split things like meat with the rest of my family? How do you guys find calorie counts for fresh items (meat, seafood, fruits, veggies)?

Replies

• angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale to weigh only the portion that I plan to eat.

Last night we ate roast. I cut off my portion and weighed it.
  • swetha1234
    Options
    ohhh! thanks!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I always weigh out my portions for accurate readings. When weighing by the ounce, I use Calorieking.com for the nutritional data... its EXCELLENT!
  • bugnsamsmom
    bugnsamsmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I search online. Make sure you weigh/measure so you are getting enough to eat and accurate calorie count
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Every piece of meat is going to be a different size/weight. Just like there are different sized tomatoes and other veggies. Once you measure and weigh food for a while, you will become familiar with what the serving size looks like.

There are times that I will bake one pound of chicken, and I know that 1/4 of that is a serving of chicken, so I eyeball it. =)
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I, too, weigh and measure everything... even after almost a year of being on MFP! Get yourself a good food scale. I love mine. It will calculate in grams or oz. For other food that needs to be measured by cups, etc.... just use a measuring cup. It takes a little bit of extra time, but it's worth it in the end.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I estimate, and probably sometimes badly. Meat is pretty easy - pick a similar cut and adjust portion size to about what you are eating. If you're concerned, measure it and look up the nutrition information elsewhere, then enter it here.

The important thing to focus on, though, is the healthy foods. In general, if you eat as many of them as possible and eat SLOWLY until you are satisfied, and avoid unhealthy things like sodium (which makes you thirsty, and thirst is quite often confused for hunger) or empty sugars or eating healthy foods way out of proportion (ideally you want a balanced intake of fat, carbs, and proteins), you should find yourself leaving the table satisfied and being pretty close to your calorie levels.

Don't ever feel you have to clean your plate or eat until you are "full", and take your time over your meals whenever you can. Mix them with conversation, make the meal an event, and put less on your plate than you think you'll want. You can always add a bit more at a time, but you might surprise yourself with how little you actually need to eat to be satisfied.
  • leamj87
    leamj87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You need a small food scale! Mine was pretty cheap and I use it for everything!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    A scale is definitely the most accurate. And you'll learn to estimate pretty well after you have been weighing for a while. Meanwhile, if you're somewhere without a food scale, here are some rules of thumb:

http://www.easy-quick-weight-loss-tips.com/food-serving-sizes.html
    Most Useful Portion-Size Rules

Meat, fish, poultry (1 serving, 3 oz) - size of your palm

Potato, yam (1 serving) - size of your fist

Beans, peas, brown rice, pasta (1 serving) - size of your fist

Fruit or vegetables (1 serving) - size of your fist

Other Useful Portion Sizes

Dried fruit or nuts (1/4 cup) - size of a large egg

Chips or pretzels (snack serving) - a rounded handful

Milk, yogurt (1 serving) - size of your fist

Whole-grain bread (1 serving) - one slice of bread

Ice cream (1/2 cup) - tennis ball