Running... any advise?

Options
I have never been for a run.
Last year I bought myself an elliptical machine, I love it... but I'm getting bored of it and I know that I will not put as much effort in as I should. (I could also do with making some extra money so I could sell it if I can get running properly).

I REALLY want to start running outside, especially as summer is on the way. I also live in a really tiny bedsit with my boyfriend, but in a place surrounded by some pretty nice areas of streets, trees and fields, a mixture of hilly routes and flat ones.

I just don't know HOW to start.. any advise would be hugely appreciated. I know some may say "just go for it" but I guess I have some other questions:
Can I run in regular trainers? I can't afford new ones but don't want to ruin my knee joints resulting in not exercising at all?
Do you run in bursts of walking and running or do you jog the whole thing? Which is more effective for you?
Do people you pass whilst running ever say anything?

Any answers would really help me! I'd love to get start running and join a race for life or a half marathon.

Lovelovelove

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5K!!! Google it and follow it. It's the best way to be introduced to running, IMO.

I would try to make the investment in new shoes as soon as possible. You might be able to get away with what you have for a while, but ultimately good running shoes will be a necessity. It will cost upwards of $100 at the out, but if you are running about 10 miles a week, they'll last you close to a year.
  • craigmdean1974
    Options
    Here is my 2 cents on this.

A lot of people are going to throw out the C25K program out. It is not bad but structured.

Go out and run. If you can run for 2 minutes then walk for 10, great. Next time see if you can run farther and keep doing that. But listen to your body. If you feel winded then stop or slow down.

As far as shoes, that is very individual thing. Some people can run barefoot and some can run in flip flops. I have leg issues so I have to get fitted by a running store.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

A lot of people are going to throw out the C25K program out. It is not bad but structured.

Go out and run. If you can run for 2 minutes then walk for 10, great. Next time see if you can run farther and keep doing that. But listen to your body. If you feel winded then stop or slow down.

As far as shoes, that is very individual thing. Some people can run barefoot and some can run in flip flops. I have leg issues so I have to get fitted by a running store.

Yes, C25K is structured. But it's also been proven to work effectively.
  • Christina2927
    Christina2927 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also want to start running but am clueless about how to start. I would also like some advice and tips on how to start.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I think he was posting an alternative if that sort of structure isn't your cup of tea.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    runnersworld.com has loads of great advice.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I honestly think something like C25K is a great way to start. I started with C25K and then decided to stick with running intervals instead of running the whole distance, so while I'm not a C25K "graduate" I have a couple of half marathons under my belt as well as a multitude of shorter races running for 3 minutes and walking for 1.

What makes C25K so great is that you aren't just running until you're tired. You aren't out there unsure what's the best way to build up your endurance. Instead you have a set of guidelines for building your endurance over time. You run for a set amount of time and then walk for a set amount of time. That is easier for people to wrap their heads around and becomes a motivator. Instead of "I've been running for 4 minutes, I'm tired so I'll stop."

To the OP, for shoes, you can probably get away with what you have for the first few weeks. I was able to run in cross trainers until I hit the 3 mile mark. At that point, I needed to get new shoes because my cross trainers were a little too short and my toe nails were suffering. As long as there is absolutely no knee, ankle or shin pain when running in your current shoes, you should be okay for the first few weeks.
  • craigmdean1974
    Options
    Thanks rtalencar85. That is exactly what I was saying.

For some people they can run farther than what is recommended and they should run farther. Some people can't run that far and so shouldn't push themselves.

I tend to be a person that would push myself to be where that program said to be and I would hurt myself.
  • Stavakoli
    Stavakoli Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great! I started running a few months ago and I NEVER thought I'd say this, but running is so much fun! Since you're just starting, I'd say stick with shoes that are comfortable/supportive. BUT if you're looking for shoes: the Nike Free are AMAZING!! They are so light and flexible, they make running easy and fun. I have always had knee problems but I've found with strength training and running, I've actually strengthened my knee. (The shoe helps!)

I would say, definitely try running in intervals when you're first getting started. Couch to 5K is a great program, heres the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml You'll be amazed at how your endurance builds up after you start running more frequently.

If you have one, keep your ipod filled with good music, it makes the experience that much greater! Good luck!! I think you'll love it.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My advice: start with your regular shoes, but if you have a lot of soreness/discomfort in your shins, knees or feet, get new shoes. Also, start with walking...and when you run, run SLOWLY. You really can't run too slowly to start (when I started, my run was slower than my walk). I've done a full marathon and several half marathons/20Ks, and I still add walk breaks to them (never mastered the whole "drinking while running" thing). Don't worry about what other people are doing or what they think of what you're doing. Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great, but if you don't want to use something so structured, you can run one block, then walk one block and repeat. Or run for one song on your MP3 player, then walk for one song and repeat. Or run until you think you need to walk, then start running again when you feel you can.

The rule of thumb seems to be to not increase your distance more than 10% per week.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I've never run in my life. Never. Not on purpose. Couch to 5K has been perfect for me. I didn't know I could run 60 seconds. And this week, I didn't know I could run 3 minutes. I never would've even tried without the structure.
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    There is a couch 2 5k program on beginnertriathlete.com which I have been using and I love it, it's been great!! It is less structured than the mainstream c25k, it gives you minutes as a guideline for walking vs. running for 3 days a week, and it lets you decide how you break it up.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options

For some people they can run farther than what is recommended and they should run farther. Some people can't run that far and so shouldn't push themselves.

I tend to be a person that would push myself to be where that program said to be and I would hurt myself.

^This^ ... Every major injury I am currently dealing with (some coming up on the three year mark of dealing with) were due to my sticking to the program instead of doing what I should have in the first place. However. That being said. IF you listen to your body AND follow a structured routine to the best of your body's ability, I see nothing wrong in the C25K programs (there are several viable options) I used podrunner before I pushed myself too hard using a different program)

But even Bob Harper said on TBL a few weeks back. Just get up, go out and start slowly. First set a distance and walk it, then try to improve your time by running short intervals. Eventually, you can run that distance. Then, pick a larger distance run as much of it as you can, walk the rest adding in intervals until you can run the second distance. (I believe he may have started his example with half miles and upped by a half mile at a time.)

As far as shoes go. You should be able to interval in a decent cross trainer if you already have some, but I DO recommend investing in a decent running shoe once you have built up your distances a bit. And not ALL good shoes cost more than a hundred dollars. I would go to a reputable running store though and ask them to evaluate your stride to make sure you get the kind of shoe you need for your impact type. (Note: This doesn't work for everyone. I have found that I am ALWAYS told that I pronate, however I have found that a neutral shoe works better for me. This is because when I FIRST Start running on a treadmill, my stride doesn't even out to my 'distance stride' until well into a run, so I land on my feet differently at first and then end up in pain after a quarter mile if I wear the shoes they recommended.) (A couple hundred dollars down the drain there and a lesson learned on my part.)

You have all the equipment you need to start though. Runner's World magazine has great information in their website (someone posted it earlier) C25K has good info on their website. Active.com can recommend good starter races in your local area if you want to have a local race to train for and a quickly attainable 'goal'.

The last race I ran was an 8k about 4 years ago (and just before my injury) and it was fantastic to finish a race (I DID walk a portion of it but it was great anyway!) And now I am working to build back up and hopefully get to a 5K in the very least before the end of the summer (Have to take it slow)

Good luck!!!!
  • caitwinmary
    Options
    seven weeks ago i just started running with the hal higdon program and i absolutely love it. this morning i ran three miles and felt great. my advice is to jog until fatigued and walk to recover and keep doing this for 20-30 minutes and you will see it gets easier:) goodluck!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k is a good system for learning. I've been using it with great success. Otherwise, start slow! Don't push yourself too hard and don't beat yourself up over not getting very far. It's a very different exercise from the elliptical runner!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

That is how I started, by walk/running on the treadmill and then eventually moving outdoors. I started with maybe 30 seconds of running and at least 2 minutes of walking. Since those days I've run two marathons and countless other distance races as well as tons of small races.

The biggest advice I give to anyone first starting is SHOES, SHOES, SHOES! I can't say this enough, if you try to run in the wrong shoes you will have problems! I found this out the hard way to please learn from my rather bad example :) I always suggest people go to a true running store where there are people who know how to properly fit someone for shoes. Start slow and build from there.
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I also really like the couch 25k program. I was leary of running after suffering with shin splints for years from gymnastics. The program brings you along gradually so you don't tend to get hurt or depressed because you can't do a long run right off.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Make a plan of the route you want to take and C25K is a great program to use and a comfortable pair of shoes is a necessity. But the easiest way to start is to open the door and head out. I'm not trying to be sarcastic but the hardest part is that first step outside. Good luck and enjoy the open road!
  • mrspike06
    Options
    I read about the C25K and couldn't even do that when I first started. But, I used it as a basis to create my own plan for building up my endurance. Don't feel discouraged if you aren't able to move up to the next step. Sometimes, I have to do the same "program" for 2-3 weeks before I feel ready to move on, but it gives you a goal to push for. Also, if you do have any issues with knees or shin splints...keep going, just walk until you feel ready to run again - but do not stop. Good Luck!